Why I love this game

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:57 AM

I just thought I should post how much I love this game and give the reason.  I play a lot of Table Top Mini games, most WH, WH40K, and DW.  So most of my comparisons will be to those games.

1- Star Wars Duh… This needed to be said, but I doubt it needs to be explained.

2- It is a fast game and it really captures a cool dog fighting feel.  I had my friend come over to play with me.  He had never played before, but we were able to play a game with two lists that I had already written.  Then he wrote his own list that he wanted to try, and we played again.  All in about an hour and a half.

3-It is cheap.  Some people have been say this game is expensive, but compared to a GW game, X-Wing is supper cheap to play.  Squadrons usually only have between 3 to 6 ships (that is at 100 points) and fighters cost $15.  That is $90 max for a whole squadron.  In fact the game is so cheap that I literally have enough of everything to build and try what ever squadron type I want.  I have 6 TIEs, 3 TIE Advanced, 3 X-Wings, and 3 Y-Wings.  And I spent less money that it costs to buy a small barely playable single army for WH or WH40K.

In most table top mini games you have to decide what sort of force you want to play then buy it and hopefully it works out.  If you force make up isn't very good you may have to spend hundreds of dollars to adjust your army into a new build.  I grant that I bought a lot of stuff, but it wasn't that expensive and I pretty much have everything.  I can make any conceivable force.

4- I like the Action system.  It really adds a coll diversity to the basic move, attack game mechanic found in almost every game.

5- I love the movement dial.  It speeds the game up soooo much to have every one deciding where they want to move at the same time.  But I also love the trying to guess what your opponent is going to do aspect of the game.  Even have come to like the collision rules.  It adds a cool balance to to obvious tactic of keeping your forces together so they can support each other and focus fire.  I litterally have found my piloting skills improving as I have played more games.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#2 drkjedi35

drkjedi35

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:23 AM

This is a great article.  You make some great points.  Most people who complain about the price of the game have not taken the time to see exactly what it takes to play it.  And once they do, they see the value.  I know people who used to spend $400 per expansion for the Star Wars Miniatures game, but complain about how much they would have to invest to get started in this game.  Its crazy.

Would you post this over on AFM?  I know the guys over there would love to read it!

Thanks,

Roy

#3 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:18 AM

Compared to GW games, this game is almost free…. The cheapest game that I love is probably Anima Tactics, then this game then Infinity when it comes to the price needed to have at least one fully playable force. As army scale games go (as in 40k type sized games), Dust WSarfare is pretty cheap as well, though not as cheap as X wing and the skirmish games I mentioned.

And yes, I have soo many Star Wars minis its insane, but I bought a lot of them at amazing prices, getting 30 cent stormtroopers and big name jedi characters for like a dollar, etc…. Even my Rancor was 6 bucks….. though I did buy a few of the $15 booster boxes, I bought most of my stuff in used lots and through discount places or ebay….. but ya, I have an outrageous Star Wars minis collection and regularly play games of up to 1000 pts per side, all with my minis ( hell I have more than 1000 pts of Mandalorians…. or even Tusken Raiders for that matter, lol).

But ya, this game is cheap!

#4 El_Tonio

El_Tonio

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:06 PM

Great post… I really appreciate your initial thoughts.  I'm going to play my first games against someone other then myself tomorrow (and this gives me some things to consider and look forward to). 

REBEL: 5 X-Wing  •  3 Y-Wing  •  2 A-Wing  •  3 YT-1300  •  4 B-Wing  •  1 HWK-290  •  7 Z-95 Headhunter  •  2 E-Wing

IMPERIAL: 8 TIE Fighter  •  2 TIE Advanced X1  •  5 TIE Interceptor  • 3 Firespray 31  •  6 TIE Bomber  •  2 Lambda Class Shuttle  •  2 TIE Phantom  •  2 TIE Defender

FIRST PLACE:  2012 Kessel Run (Amazing Discoveries, Tucson AZ); 2013 Regional (Amazing Discoveries, Tucson AZ); 2013 Regional (Imperial Outpost, Glendale AZ); 2014 Store Championship (Desert Sky Games, Gilbert AZ); 2014 Assault on Imdaar Alpha (Game Depot, Tempe AZ)

#5 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:43 PM

So far I have shown this game to two of my neighbors. Both of them loved the maneuver dials and maneuver templates. They literally laughed out loud when they saw how clever, simple, and AWESOME it is. Seriously, we couldn't stop smiling the entire time we played. It really captures the thrilling dogfights of the Star Wars galaxy.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#6 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:34 AM

And for the $40, if you pay retail (why?), the quality of the components is amazing! All of the card stock components are MUCH thicker/durable than I expected. And then there is all the small details, like the guides for the move templates on the bases.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS