100pt Imperial force

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bullyboy

bullyboy

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:11 PM

all theoretical at this point so please advise accordingly..

Dath Vader, cluster missiles, marksmanship

Mauler Mithel

4 TIE academy pilots

tough to pass on swarm tactics though. Just wondering, would Maarek be better with cluster/marksmanship?

I don't have the TIE expansion, just the advanced and 2 TIEs in starter box. Was going to get another starter box to add 2 more TIEs

#2 Daveydavedave

Daveydavedave

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:04 PM

Not a bad list by any means.

Howlrunner (one of the Tie/ln expansion pilots) is a great choice for a swarm like your list.  Her force multiplier style special ability is better the more wingmen she has to buff.

Backstabber is always good.

Mauler Mithel is great but he's a bit expensive when you're trying to go for quantity and his ability is only useful to himself.

Vader is bonkers good all the time.

Marksmanship is wicked good as well.  Particularly in conjunction with missiles.

Dark Curse is interesting for his points.  Being immune to torpedoes, locks, and offensive focus might be one of the best abilities in the game.

I'm not a big fan of Maarek Stele.  Vader seems better for the same ball park price.

I'm not sold on swarm tactics.  Since it only effects the shooting phase, it doesn't do enough for my liking.  Sure, you get to shoot on the turn you die, but you don't get to chose your action after the opponent - hence you cannot use barrel roll after you see their maneuver.  

#3 DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:05 AM

Daveydavedave said:

I'm not sold on swarm tactics.  Since it only effects the shooting phase, it doesn't do enough for my liking.  Sure, you get to shoot on the turn you die, but you don't get to chose your action after the opponent - hence you cannot use barrel roll after you see their maneuver.  

There is a risk in taking Swarm Tactics, that the models who would benefit from it might not be in position to use it well, but if things work out, it can double your fire power at a crucial moment.

-DavicusPrime

#4 Rollins

Rollins

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:01 AM

Check your numbers. Im using an excel based squad builder and come up with 101 pts.

I'm assuming your building on a 100 pts allowance

#5 Daveydavedave

Daveydavedave

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:35 AM

DavicusPrime said:

Daveydavedave said:

There is a risk in taking Swarm Tactics, that the models who would benefit from it might not be in position to use it well, but if things work out, it can double your fire power at a crucial moment.

-DavicusPrime

How does it double your firepower? 

I don't really see the value in swarm tactics… I must be missing something.

#6 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:50 AM

It doubles your firepower like this.

Let's say you have Vader and a 12 pt "High School Pilot" right beside each other (in range 1 of each other). Vader is skill 9 and unless the rebel force has less points than you, Empire gets the initiative (even if both sides have equal points) and Vader will shoot first before any Rebel Pilot gets to fire. If Vader has swarm, instead of Vader shooting, then the X wing he is shooting at getting his shots in, Vader will give the skill level 1 High school Pilot his skill level of 9 so Vader and the Tie with the High schooler in it will both shoot at skill level 9 before any rebel pilot and can wreck that X wing before it ever gets the chance to respond back. The only Rebel pilot that even has a chance to respond is Wedge at skill 9, but even he will have to wait until both Vader and the low skill pilot shoot first but because of simultaneous combat rule, at least Wedge will be able to shoot off his volley before being removed … Any other Rebel, including Luke will just eat it in the face and like it because he will have to take both the Empire attacks before doing anything. So imagine Vader and his pal get in close and Vader uses target lock and then focus and his buddy focuses… then Vader uses his clusters and gets 2 different attacks at weapon 3 and uses focus on one, then swarm lets his normally skill 1 buddy shoot right after that as if he was skill 9 as well. Now if he is up close in range 1 he will get a weapon 3 attack on you with focus as well… all at skill 9 and before you can do anything….. As long as he stays close to Vader, you get a skill 9 pilot for the price of a skill 1…. Skill 9 Tie for 12 points? Yep…

#7 DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:54 AM

Daveydavedave said:

How does it double your firepower? 

I don't really see the value in swarm tactics… I must be missing something.

What I mean is that both ships get to fire at the same time rather than having the lower skilled pilot having to wait until their usual turn to fire.  This means that if you need to kill something quickly before it has a chance to return the favor, you will have twice the number of guns blazing earlier in the turn sequence than you otherwise would have.

So Correction: Does NOT double the dice being rolled.  But gets you rolling those dice earlier in the turn sequence.

-DavicusPrime

#8 Daveydavedave

Daveydavedave

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:00 PM

I see what you mean.  I still see swarm tactics as situational.  It only makes a difference in the event that you can kill your target.  I guess if the target which you kill was about to light you up, then it might save you a loss.  Perhaps it is worth 2 points.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS