Photo

Imperial Strategies - how to avoid losses?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Daveydavedave

Daveydavedave

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:05 AM

Ties can be extremely fragile.  The slightly more expensive ties with offensive abilities (like Backstabber or Howlrunner) are pretty vulnerable to getting focused (both focus actioned and focus fired) and picked off early in the game.  

What are your tricks and strategies for keeping Imperial pilots in the game?  

Is attrition the name of the game for the Imperial squadron?

I have one thought:  Expert Handling is great on anyone who can use the elite pilot upgrade cards because it shuts down target locks (and torpedoes).  However most tie pilots can't get elite upgrades.

#2 herozeromes

herozeromes

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:10 AM

I think that TIEs are shown to be strongest in a squad formation and are very good at making sudden maneuvers to get out of tight spots in the films. I think a double team on an X-Wing would be a good strategy. And don't forget barrel rolls!

#3 DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

I was thinking about trying to run my TIE's in pairs and once I can get my opponent to commit to going after one group or the other, the rest use their maneuverability to get behind and up close on a rebel ship and shooting it until it dies.

The bait ships will use evasion actions and use their speed to stay out of Range Band 1 to hopefully survive while the others will use their tight turns and barrel rolls to flank and backstab the rebs that take the bait.

Another idea I had was to fly right at the main Reb force enmass then scatter in all directions when they get in range.  the following turn they swarm back in from both sides.  They won't be able to chase everything all at once and odds are he won't be able to guess where they're going to go the turn they scatter.  With their speed and barrel roll actions, the Rebels won't be able to keep all of them in their fire arcs.

Example: 4 TIE's in a group move in until the turn they're about to enter Range band 3.  Then each pair takes a hard turn in opposite directions.  The following turn, they all come around via the 180 degree move and hopefully catch a reb or two in a crossfire.

Now, I just wait for the UPS man so I can see how these ideas play out on the table.

-DavicusPrime

#4 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

I find that I usually lose a TIE in every battle, but I usually starr with two more ships than my opponant, So its okay.

Think about it.  A academy pilot is only 12 points, a Y-wing can spend 13 points just on weapon upgrades.  It is okay to lose a TIE or two in the process of putting down the destructive rebelion.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#5 DrUnK3n_PaNdA

DrUnK3n_PaNdA

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:26 PM

Utilizing barrel rolls and sharp turns to force contact from craft on your tail works great for keeping your opponents from firing on you.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS