Less-Orthodox Starships

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 jarsen

jarsen

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:04 AM

Hey guys! Just about to get started GMing our first ever Rogue Trader campaign and I'm super excited. My buddies and I have done a lot of D&D 3.5 but I did 40k wargaming in high school and I have a lot of love for the universe so I convinced our group to branch out :) Super excited.

Anyway, we just got the party's first starship put together—a nice little frigate. I've been trying to get everyone pumped by showing them lots of pictures and having them describe what the frigate will look like. I also told the Rogue Trader that along with his house name I expect him to come up with a house crest and oath. This friend of mine really likes elephants, and so he was telling me the other day that the ship is going to have a huge elephant head on the helm. I was a little hestitant at first but he drew up a quick sketch and it actually looked really cool.

However, this seems a little unorthodox for a servant of the Imperium. I think I count on one hand the number of ships ship I've seen without an aquila spread-eagle all over the helm. So I've been trying to think of some interesting consequences for such a flamboyant display of self-heraldy. I was thinking of something like giving them a slight interaction penalty with eclesiarchy or the imperial navy, but then giving them some bonuses (like a ramming bonus, ramming with an elephant head seems pretty awesome to me) and maybe interaction bonuses with some less zealous faction that I haven't thought of yet.

What are your thoughts?

#2 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:51 AM

Private ships can have their own figureheads as far as I know. The penalties would only MAYBE come across if there was no devotional items anywhere and they acted untrue to the creed, but a Rogue Trader is a force to himself (though more so outside the imperium, in it he/she is a small fish in an ocean filled with sharks).

Instead of bonuses, why not suggest the various types of prows? I think a power ram would be the neatest kind, simple and decorative normally, flip of the switch makes it pretty tough (and doesnt take up a weapon slot either)

#3 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:46 PM

As a fellow RT GM, I agree 100% with Cymbel.  Whatever the RT has on the hull of his ship should only effect other groups if it is renowned.  Example: One of the ship packages has this effect.  If the player has made an awesome background story then you can reward him for that (xp is recommended, but maybe something else), but for something as little as a hulls figure head, simple ornaments throughout the ship, or even banners with the RT's emblem, just let him have it for no effect/cost.

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

#4 jarsen

jarsen

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:01 PM

Hmm. After thinking about it I'm gonna have to agree with you. However, maybe I'll decide to incorporate it somehow with the "Turbulent Past" History that we rolled for the ship. Or maybe I'll just leave it totally unrelated. Thanks for the feedback, I'll give this some more thought.

#5 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:47 PM

Histories and Background Packages really are the best way to go

and don't forget

ELEPHANT POWER RAM

MAKE IT PART OF THE SHIP

IT WILL BE AWESOME

#6 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,052 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:03 AM

Cymbel said:

Histories and Background Packages really are the best way to go

and don't forget

ELEPHANT POWER RAM

MAKE IT PART OF THE SHIP

IT WILL BE AWESOME

Power Rams cannot be fitted to a frigate.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#7 Larkin

Larkin

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:06 PM

Reinforced prows can though.

#8 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:40 PM

Sorry about that…..

#9 Cornwallis

Cornwallis

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:14 PM

Gilded hull would be a nice way to put a giant elephant head on the front. doesnt affect much, has a consequense of an easy space or armor or sp or whatever it is (no book here) and definitely shows the houses pride

#10 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:45 PM

Cornwallis said:

Gilded hull would be a nice way to put a giant elephant head on the front. doesnt affect much, has a consequense of an easy space or armor or sp or whatever it is (no book here) and definitely shows the houses pride

Yea, but Gilded Hull lowers you Armour on the ship.  I don't like the trade off.  Of course, if you want it to be flamboyant and be part of a story plot, then all enjoy it.  If I was GMing I would give some bonuses to Social Tests while on the ship interacting with dignitaries/VIP's, if a detailed story went with it. 

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

#11 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:34 PM

Where is the gilded hull?

#12 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:09 AM

Don't have my books with me, but it is either in BFK or HA.  I think BFK for some odd reason.

#13 Larkin

Larkin

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:03 PM

Gilded Hull is in Lure of the Expanse along with Excess Void Armor and the Dragon's Breath Lance Weapon.

#14 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:15 PM

What Larkin said. 

No, I wasn't slick, like a wet bar of soap?…..  Dang.

#15 Hunterindarkness

Hunterindarkness

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

One of the Rival RT ships from Lure of the expanse has a chinese Dragon figure head, the whole ship has an Asian theme.

#16 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,052 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:55 PM

Hunterindarkness said:

One of the Rival RT ships from Lure of the expanse has a chinese Dragon figure head, the whole ship has an Asian theme.

But, but… In the grim darkness of the 41st millennium there are only white people!

#17 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:06 PM

I think in one 40k book they were called easterners (asian), westerners (anglo saxon stuff)and southerners (african) but no northerners. I may be wrong on that, HOWEVER. I remember in the Cain books there are some asian and african heritage (even a dark skinned valhallan) present, but the majority is white.

Side Note: Isn't the EMPRAH turkish?

#18 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,052 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:46 PM

Cymbel said:

Side Note: Isn't the EMPRAH turkish?

It wouldn't matter. Much like Jesus, he just has to be white and English-speaking or everything will just go straight to… Oh. Yeah… Chaos.

#19 Hunterindarkness

Hunterindarkness

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:11 AM

Well while she has an Asian Name, Asian themed armor and weapons and even an Asian themed ship. She sure looked non-Asian to me.

#20 Darth Fanboy

Darth Fanboy

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:23 AM

the emperor's enthnicity is confused by being born in what would later become Turkey, but doing so before the Turks arrived.  Those illustrations of him that exist seem to be dark haired and with a skin colour somewhere between tanned and north African.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS