Gaming mats

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#1 LSUedd

LSUedd

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:04 AM

Post pictures of your gaming mats/table here! I am currently planning to make one and would like to see designs!

#2 R2D2

R2D2

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:27 AM

starting mine tonight (preorders arriving hopefully by wednesday) so will hopefully have pics up by sunday!

#3 Nalydd

Nalydd

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:05 AM

Here is my table.  Firstly apologies for the blurry pics, they looked OK on my phone (which isn't great).  Also I was so excited these were taken before all of the edging was reattached.

The table (4'x4') was painted black with glitter (which you cannot really see here) on the final coat to catch some ambient light and then stars dotted on with the pointy ends of cocktail sticks (most are white, some are blue/yellow/red).  The LEDs are inserted into large holes on the underside with smaller holes in the top to let the light through.  Simple and cheap but only because I already had a good table to begin with.  So here we go.

Lights off:

And lights on:

As always these things look much better in person than through shoddy digital photography.  I cannot wait to get to get the minis on here and no doubt will be posting a battle report (hopefully with better pics).

The LEDs were from Ebay for less than £4 for a string of 40 lights.  They ended up being brighter than I thought they would be, also they are 10cm apart hence they 'cluster' around the middle.  Had I been so inclined I might have got a second set and used smaller top holes to allow of a bit more variety and a larger spread of lights.  No doubt someone else could take inspiration and do a better job.

All in all I am quite chuffed with this and my son is as very eager to start playing as I am.  He is six, I might actually win.

#4 drkjedi35

drkjedi35

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:14 AM

Nalydd said:

Here is my table.  Firstly apologies for the blurry pics, they looked OK on my phone (which isn't great).  Also I was so excited these were taken before all of the edging was reattached.

The table (4'x4') was painted black with glitter (which you cannot really see here) on the final coat to catch some ambient light and then stars dotted on with the pointy ends of cocktail sticks (most are white, some are blue/yellow/red).  The LEDs are inserted into large holes on the underside with smaller holes in the top to let the light through.  Simple and cheap but only because I already had a good table to begin with.  So here we go.

Lights off:

And lights on:

As always these things look much better in person than through shoddy digital photography.  I cannot wait to get to get the minis on here and no doubt will be posting a battle report (hopefully with better pics).

The LEDs were from Ebay for less than £4 for a string of 40 lights.  They ended up being brighter than I thought they would be, also they are 10cm apart hence they 'cluster' around the middle.  Had I been so inclined I might have got a second set and used smaller top holes to allow of a bit more variety and a larger spread of lights.  No doubt someone else could take inspiration and do a better job.

All in all I am quite chuffed with this and my son is as very eager to start playing as I am.  He is six, I might actually win.

I would love to see that with some ships on it.  Would you mind posting that over on AFM?  This link is in my signature.

Thanks,

Roy

#5 Nalydd

Nalydd

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:41 AM

drkjedi35 said:

I would love to see that with some ships on it. 

Me too but living in the UK means it might be a while.  Once they arrive though I'll see about taking a better pic (with an actual camera) and I'll be happy to post on AFM.

#6 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 776 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:16 AM

Nalydd, you are my hero. That is all. 

IV  V  VI  I  III  II

#7 AncientAngel

AncientAngel

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:49 AM

I would take a shot of the table with minimal lighting in the back ground and ships on the table. I think it will most likely give you an interesting affect with the light coming up from under the miniatures. Granted it will take away some of the finer details of the ships but it should look really impressive.

#8 Zinger5656

Zinger5656

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:11 AM

If you would show a pic of the underside of the table that would be cool too, I would like to see the wiring and how youe attached the leds.

#9 Nalydd

Nalydd

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:07 AM

Zinger5656 said:

If you would show a pic of the underside of the table that would be cool too, I would like to see the wiring and how youe attached the leds.

The LEDs came on a string, a bit light xmas tree lights, but with a box for the batteries at one end.  For ease (and because I am a little lazy to be honest) I didn't want to strip the wires and insert extensions to spread the lights out any further.  With 40 LEDs this would be a very large job.

Anyway firstly small holes (about 2mm as this was my smallest drill bit) were drilled through the top of the table with 6mm holes underneath but only partially through the table, which itself is about 18mm thick mdf.  The LEDs are just pushed into the larger holes and pvc insulation tape across the connecting wires on the underside hold the lights in place.

When I get around to it (and crucially when the game arrives) I'll place more and better pics on here.  Thanks so far everybody for the kind comments and feel free to take this idea and run with it.

#10 R2D2

R2D2

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:51 AM

I have pics of my finished gaming board. how do i upload them here? 

#11 R2D2

R2D2

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:43 PM

Pictures of my homemade gaming board. Its 16 1x1 ft hardboard squares, painted with layers of spray paint and light glitter/shimmer spray. Then tiny details were added by hand (rings etc). I chose to make the board modular like this to allow me to adjust table size easily to suit a variety of shapes.

this is a couple of close up pictures, a few full size photos (4x4ft) and a close up short moving video (the shimmer wasnt showing on the photos)!

http://s1174.photobu...zps814cf758.jpg

Finally finished now and ready for tuesday when i should be collecting my pieces! 

#12 Nalydd

Nalydd

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:33 PM

Looking good R2, like the modular design to change size & shape of the arena.

#13 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:47 PM

I just sent Eric at Hotz Mats a suggestion/request for quote for a '4 x '8 grey mat with DS surface and trench painted on one side and 'Star Destroyer' like surface possibly on the reverse. We'll see what he says and if he's willing to try it…

#14 bullyboy

bullyboy

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:52 AM

that looks fantastic R2

#15 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:21 AM

Baphomet69 said:

I just sent Eric at Hotz Mats a suggestion/request for quote for a '4 x '8 grey mat with DS surface and trench painted on one side and 'Star Destroyer' like surface possibly on the reverse. We'll see what he says and if he's willing to try it…

I was incorrect. He doesn't make '4 x '8 mats, it would be 72" x 45", if he does it (haven't heard back yet).

#16 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 776 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:42 AM

Love that twinkling effect you've got going on there, R2!

IV  V  VI  I  III  II

#17 ThePendragon

ThePendragon

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:10 AM

WOW!   I like the look….but have neither the time nor resources to pull that off.

I would like to also make people aware of a place where I have seen some great mats.  Monday Night Productions.  They sell some awesome starfield mats that my first games of Xwing were played on….yesterday.   Here is their link…if you would care to see.

http://www.mondayknight.com/Index-Mats.html

#18 R2D2

R2D2

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:53 PM

thanks for the compliments!

It worked out about £30 all in and about 5 hours of work … probably could have been cheaper if I hadnt sprayed 2 small test boards. On the plus side I still have materials left over (enough to make another 3x3 board..)

Seems far more sensible than spending some ridiculous amount on a felt mat…

only thing I need to figure out is what spray I can use to seal over the paint (though it shows no signs of flaking etc currently). Some kind of varnish which wont make the board too wet when applied (so theres no chance of colour blending!

#19 AlKusanagi

AlKusanagi

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:45 AM

Baphomet69 said:

I sent in an inquiry if he could just do double sided  3 X 3 mats with the two space patterns on each side. It seems like something like that would become quite popular for this game.

The only thing that worries me is that 3X3 is the "suggested" game size, so dropping a lot of time/effort/money into 3X3 mats and then having the standard become something larger seems a possibility, especially once wave 2 comes out and squads probably jump up to 150 points.

#20 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:55 PM

AlKusanagi said:

Baphomet69 said:

I sent in an inquiry if he could just do double sided  3 X 3 mats with the two space patterns on each side. It seems like something like that would become quite popular for this game.

The only thing that worries me is that 3X3 is the "suggested" game size, so dropping a lot of time/effort/money into 3X3 mats and then having the standard become something larger seems a possibility, especially once wave 2 comes out and squads probably jump up to 150 points.

I had already ordered and received a '6 x '4 from him before FFG came out with the '3 x '3 info, but now I'm thinking about getting one of the MKG mats to have both.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS