Successful Night of X-Wing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tforster78

Tforster78

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:39 PM

The second demo night went great. I had 8 people show up to play (7 new and 1 from last week). Two of the players were store employees. They kept the game room open after the store closed so they could play. Over all I got a lot of positive feedback about X-Wing, and the store got 4 orders out of it.  It was a good mix of of Starters and boosters.  The main thing I heard was how easy the game was to learn, and adding your sound effects was cool.  

For the demo I created 4 teams for players to select (teams below). Point wise the teams were fairly even. The name of the game was team work. I am proud to say the players really dove into it by coordinating thier movements and attacks. After explaining the rules I let the players assign the upgrades to their teams and then the battle began.

Midnight Team                        Gray Team
"Mauler Mithel"                        "Dutch" Vander
Maarek Stele                            Rookie Pilot 
Determination                          Ion Cannon Turret 
Concussion Missiles             R5-D8
Marksmanship                        Points 52
Points 52

Top Guns                                 Young Guns
Darth Vader                             Gold Squadron Pilot 
"Backstabber"                         Red Squadron Pilot 
Cluster Missiles                     Proton Torpedoes
Squad Leader                        Proton Torpedoes 
Points 51                                R2 Astromech 
                                                  R5-K6 
                                                  Points 52

The first match went to the Rebels. “Dutch” firing his Ion cannon and giving target locks was an amazing advantage to the Rebel fleet. Every round the players made sure there was at least 1 ship within range of “Dutch”. Vader was the only Imperial to score a kill by taking out the Rookie Pilot on round 5. The Red Squadron pilot racked up 3 kills in clean up largely due to R5-K6 and several good die rolls.
Final Score Rebels 4 – Empire 2.

The second match was all Imperial. Vader set the tone in round 3 with a massive 6 (4 hit and 2 crits) hits firing Cluster Missles at the Gold Squadron pilot, who was then finished off by Mauler Mithel. Backstabber lived up to his name by out maneuvering the Red Squadron pilot and wearing him down until Maarek finished him off in round 6. By the end of round 9 only the Rookie Pilot was left flying with no shields and 1 damage, with luck he managed to take out Backstabber before being blasted by Vader in round 10.
Final Score Rebels 1 – Empire 4.

As a treat one of the players brought in his old Hasbro Blockade runner. It fit the ship scale beautifully. He is going to loan it to me so I can create a scenario that involves the Blockade Runner and run it one weekend for everyone to play. It should be good times. I attached a few pics below. of the demos from last week and this week. 

#2 Boggs

Boggs

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:08 AM

Excellent! Thanks for the report. A buddy and I got in our first games last night with the core set.

I hope to start something regular at our store soon.

#3 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:43 AM

Cool stuff Tony!

Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook.com/groups/swgon/ Star Wars Gaming Ontario formerly known as Star Wars Miniatures Toronto

#4 tiepilot1138

tiepilot1138

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:10 AM

Let us know how the Corvette works out.  I was going to pick one up myself.  My only concern is that you should be able to hit something that big from anywhere on the table (if it's a standard 3x3).  Maybe give it LOTS of hull points and shields to compensate?

#5 yagyu

yagyu

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:01 AM

www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp

This might help, hope it does, if u guys do want to make the corvette stats higher i can do another custom

"It was so artistically done."-Grand Admiral Thrawn

#6 ajbartman

ajbartman

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:15 AM

I just picked up the blockade runner.  Here are some of my thoughts on a scenario:

- Blockade ship is damaged due to meteor storm.

- Maybe have a couple of meteors on the map

- Blockage ship has limited power due to damage, including shields and weapons

- Imperial needs bombers probably (so later expansions might be needed)

- Blockage ship gets repaired in X number of rounds and jumps to lightspace

- Need rules for collision with Blockage runner

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS