Photo

Need help building a "intro" deck for my girlfriend.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:20 PM

So my non-gaming girlfriend has decided to play LOTR. Are there any suggestions for building a beginner's deck (outside of the core decks) that can have a slight focus on the heroes which are also in the movies? I know, I know. I'll get her to read the books, eventually. Are there other online resources I can use? I can build a deck to complement hers, but I have a hard time building decks for people who aren't already ccg veterans from Mtg or SWCCG.  And it so happens that all my other gaming friends don't like LOTR LCG, so if I can't get her on board as a total game rookie, I'll probably ebay my stuff. I have 2 core sets and all the expansions through Watcher in the Water.

Any assistance is appreciated.

#2 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:28 PM

hello

you can use cardgamedb.com

just go on the lotr deck builder icon and input your card pool, then create away

a good start deck i find is dunhere/beravor/aragorn, but of course 2 of those arent in the films.

i shall have a think a post later

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#3 Abelard

Abelard

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:29 AM

I'd try a mostly tactics deck with Legolas.  Legolas is a popular character and it's also satisfying for new players to be able to fight rather than quest.

#4 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:40 AM

Abelard said:

I'd try a mostly tactics deck with Legolas.  Legolas is a popular character and it's also satisfying for new players to be able to fight rather than quest.

yes a good point- and worth noting i was speaking by mistake for a solo deck. but as a co op game then i would say a fighting deck is the way to go, and you play a good spirit/lore deck

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#5 gokubb

gokubb

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:01 AM

For new players, I usually try to mix Tactics with one other color. Then, I put in a lot of Sentinel and Ranged characters, along with cards that effect both players. I think it usually makes the other player feel more involved when they're helping the 'expert' instead of the other way around where they feel they're always being rescued.

I wouldn't go mono-Tactics because there's a lot of quests where there's little to no fighting and the Tactics players gets bored quickly.

#6 Trantor

Trantor

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:26 AM

Abelard said:

I can confirm this. A friend of mine who really likes the movies loved the game with the pre-built Core Set Tactics deck. He really enjoyed fighting with Legolas and Gimli. So maybe try to mix them with either Eowyn or Aragorn (yeah, high threat, but powerful heroes as well). Just throw together the more useful cards from the Core Set in the corresponding colors and start with Passage through Mirkwood. Difficulty shouldn't be a problem, so the deck doesn't really need to be perfectly tuned.

#7 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:45 PM

Thanks for the replies! I will probably build her a deck using the three hunters and build myself a Rohan or Dwarf deck.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS