Worth investing in this?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Delegaia

Delegaia

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:21 AM

Hi everybody. I'm looking at X-Wing for some time now and I'd really like to start playing this. The downside is that I don't have a lot of money at once to invest in a game, so… I was wondering if it was worth it.

Sure I don't find the core set to be wallet breaking, but I'm disapointed to hold only 3 ship. I'm the guy that would like to see a warefare with squadron similar to the one presented by FFG in their announcement of X-Wing. Or even have 3 friends with me playing a large scale battle. From what I can see, I would need to invest a nice sum of money to have a few ship to make such game… Also this would mean to have a LOT of duplicate of different card that won't be useful to have once you have a single of them…

Would it still be worth it? Is FFG expecting to release miniatures pack to expend the amount of possible miniature on the board without having duplicate of pilot card and upgrades?

#2 yagyu

yagyu

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:42 AM

For about $100 u can get everything u need to have some decent sized squad battles and the only dupes youll have are the non unique pilots. Basically your looking at 1 of each of the expansions and 1 core set. That will give u everything u need and it shouldnt break your wallet. Later on down the road as wave 2 comes out and more you can slowly expand your collection. Buying 1 of each will give u 3 Tie fighters, 1 Tie advanced, 2 X-wings, and 1 Y-wing. You will have plenty of non unique pilots, and all the current unique hero pilots without duplicating them. U can run a decent skirmish with 3 vs 4 or even 3 vs 3, too many ships and your table might get a bit too crowded for the maneuvers involved. Its a great game though, easy to learn and fun to play, if you like collecting cards, miniatures and playing strategic games then this is most definitely worth investing in.

Also to answer your latter question the expansions coming shouldnt be duplicating anything other then maybe non unique pilots, but since wave 2 is going to be new ship types we wont see any dupes of wave 1 non unique pilots. Anything else that is duplicated such as upgrade cards is usually a good thing cuz it gives more of your pilots options to use the same upgrades instead of only 1 or 2 being able to use that upgrade card.

#3 Delegaia

Delegaia

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:02 AM

yagyu said:

For about $100 u can get everything u need to have some decent sized squad battles and the only dupes youll have are the non unique pilots. Basically your looking at 1 of each of the expansions and 1 core set. That will give u everything u need and it shouldnt break your wallet. Later on down the road as wave 2 comes out and more you can slowly expand your collection. Buying 1 of each will give u 3 Tie fighters, 1 Tie advanced, 2 X-wings, and 1 Y-wing. You will have plenty of non unique pilots, and all the current unique hero pilots without duplicating them. U can run a decent skirmish with 3 vs 4 or even 3 vs 3, too many ships and your table might get a bit too crowded for the maneuvers involved. Its a great game though, easy to learn and fun to play, if you like collecting cards, miniatures and playing strategic games then this is most definitely worth investing in.

Also to answer your latter question the expansions coming shouldnt be duplicating anything other then maybe non unique pilots, but since wave 2 is going to be new ship types we wont see any dupes of wave 1 non unique pilots. Anything else that is duplicated such as upgrade cards is usually a good thing cuz it gives more of your pilots options to use the same upgrades instead of only 1 or 2 being able to use that upgrade card.

Thanks a lot for the quick answer. Actualy I did not properly expressed my second question. What I actualy meant is the following : Does anybody know if FFG is going to add expansion pack of only miniature. For exemple a pack of 3-4 X-Wing only to bolster quickly the number of minis you can have?

#4 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:23 AM

Haha, yes, there are individual X-Wings!

http://www.fantasyfl...esem=2&esum=224

Join the Unofficial X-Wing Galactic Campaign and propel your favorite faction toward victory every time you play!

#5 drkjedi35

drkjedi35

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:28 AM

DagobahDave said:

http://www.fantasyfl...esem=2&esum=224

I think he was looking for like a pack of 2 or 3 without any cards.  And I dont see there being much of a difference in price between an X-wing expansion and an X-wing without a few pieces of paper.  Better to just go with the expansions.

Roy

#6 yagyu

yagyu

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:31 AM

Yeah i dont believe they will do that, if u want to bolster your minis for a relatively cheap cost then your best bet is to get 2 or 3 core sets.

#7 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:36 AM

If you haven't played yet, and you are concerned about getting lots of ships, I'd admonish you to drop that concern post haste. I ordered a core set  along with the X-wing and the TIE Advanced expansions. I played 2 games so far and haven't even touched my expansions. I know it doesn't look like much, but the core set provides a surprisingly fulfilling game experience. It's a blast even with 3 ships!

Just my two credits.

But if you have the money, go ahead and get one of each expansion. I would.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#8 Delegaia

Delegaia

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:57 AM

drkjedi35 said:

DagobahDave said:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=174&esem=2&esum=224

I think he was looking for like a pack of 2 or 3 without any cards. And I dont see there being much of a difference in price between an X-wing expansion and an X-wing without a few pieces of paper. Better to just go with the expansions.

Roy

Actually that what I was talking about! It's not so much about the price but more about having multiple ship quickly without getting duplicate of pilot card and everything. But in a way it's more cost efficient since if I want to have 4 more X-Wing for any reason you can buy one pack instead of 4 expansion. Well, that's just an exemple.

Parakitor said:

If you haven't played yet, and you are concerned about getting lots of ships, I'd admonish you to drop that concern post haste. I ordered a core set  along with the X-wing and the TIE Advanced expansions. I played 2 games so far and haven't even touched my expansions. I know it doesn't look like much, but the core set provides a surprisingly fulfilling game experience. It's a blast even with 3 ships!

Just my two credits.

Maybe your two credits, but still glad to have it. It help to have friendly advice like this to decide to start the game and what to buy at first and later on.

#9 yagyu

yagyu

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:57 AM

Yeah if your looking for some decent sqauds then 2 core sets and 1 of each exp to start will be more then enough to give u to play, at that point you looking at 3 x-wings, 5 ties, 1 tie advanced, 1 y wing, which is plenty. The x-wings can be pretty powerful so 3 of them will put u around some higher squad point costs but for grander scale battles thats prolly the best way to go cost wise.

#10 fiddybucks

fiddybucks

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:01 PM

If you are playing Rebels I would suggest 1 core set, 1 Xwing and 1 Ywing

If you plan on playing Empire I would get 2 core sets 1 tie and 1 tie advanced.

I just picked up my core, x wing and y wing, next month I plan to pick up another core, a tie and tie advanced.  

#11 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:45 PM

A core set plus the tie advanced and either the x-wing or y-wing can supply two players with fun,60 point squads.  Or just drop 100$ and buy one of everything. That way you can support solid two player options, and also be ready to make a decision which side you want to support once league play and tournaments start.

#12 kingsfan2099

kingsfan2099

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:49 PM

I play 40k and so those of you that know GW that game is expensive to get into so this game where you can buy 2 core sets and one of each blister for maybe a little over 100 bucks and get some good sized games is a breath of fresh air for me. While 2 of the other 5 guys in my group are excited about it and 2 were just its fun the 5th guy questioned the value of the core set. I know he said that he wasn't into the TIE's and would want to run solely A-Wings and wasn't interested in running anything but Rebels it just seemed to me that the game is so inexpensive, when compared to 40k, that why wouldn't you want to play both sides. Granted I bought 2 cores and 1 of each expansion to provide a gaming experience for my whole group it's cool to see some of them willing to go spend their own money on the game also. Sorry for the rambling but 2 questions. Any of you encountered a negative reaction to the game whether it be cost or lack of fun playing or anything? How many of you or people you know plan on running Rebel or Empire exclusively?

#13 Xnath

Xnath

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:14 PM

Keep in mind the only way to get ALL unique pilot cards (like Wedge for X-Wing and a TIE character) is get the single X-Wing and TIE expansions.

Some people may not know the single ship expansions come with different character pilots than the core set.

#14 Daveydavedave

Daveydavedave

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:17 PM

The $40 core game is a blast to play.  The scenarios are pretty decent too.  I suggest picking it up to try and going from there.

I personally couldn't stop buying the expansions after playing with the starter for a day.  I succumbed to the dark side, as it were.

#15 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:43 PM

kingsfan2099 said:

I play 40k and so those of you that know GW that game is expensive to get into so this game where you can buy 2 core sets and one of each blister for maybe a little over 100 bucks and get some good sized games is a breath of fresh air for me. While 2 of the other 5 guys in my group are excited about it and 2 were just its fun the 5th guy questioned the value of the core set. I know he said that he wasn't into the TIE's and would want to run solely A-Wings and wasn't interested in running anything but Rebels it just seemed to me that the game is so inexpensive, when compared to 40k, that why wouldn't you want to play both sides. Granted I bought 2 cores and 1 of each expansion to provide a gaming experience for my whole group it's cool to see some of them willing to go spend their own money on the game also. Sorry for the rambling but 2 questions. Any of you encountered a negative reaction to the game whether it be cost or lack of fun playing or anything? How many of you or people you know plan on running Rebel or Empire exclusively?

Your number five guy irks me.  The value of the core set is not being that guy who mooches basic components off  his friends while fielding 100 points of A-Wings. He may also want to rethink that strategy…or play Dungeon Command.

That said, I'm running both, but if money becomes an issue, I'll pick one side. A lot of my gaming buddies are used to playing euros or other games which typically have a one time cost, so the prices may cause some sticker shock until I teach them to play.

#16 Harleequin

Harleequin

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:46 PM

So far for me it's one of the funnest games I've ever played. Me and my friends have a blast playing it, and I can't really see stopping anytime soon. However the only thing I hope for is that if they continue to make new ships, after wave 2, and a pretty predicted wave 3, that they don't make clone wave era ships, and if they do, hopefully remodeled, so they match the theme of classic star wars a lot more. Besides that the only other thing I want is tournament play. I know that if my locals get enough players they will host their own tournaments with probably a store credit reward, but I would much rather have FFG sanctioned tournaments where prize support could include special model ships such as a battle damaged Y wing, or the Red Leader ship.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS