richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,816 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:30 AM

muemakan said:

poor rich                

im not watching it….ever….

though you may as well tell me what it is now you have my curiosity…..

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#4 muemakan

muemakan

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:32 AM

Tom Bombadil looks funny.

And I tried hard to find the scene in the books……the dwarves storming the troll fireplace with swords drawn to rescue Bilbo from the 3 Trolls…….  :-)

#5 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,816 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:40 AM

muemakan said:

And I tried hard to find the scene in the books……the dwarves storming the troll fireplace with swords drawn to rescue Bilbo from the 3 Trolls…….  :-)

well i watched it ……why exactly is bombadil in? im not making the connection….

#6 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:41 AM

richsabre said:

muemakan said:

well i watched it ……why exactly is bombadil in? im not making the connection….

i assumed that was beorn…

#7 impaulm

impaulm

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:45 AM

And I thought it was Radagast….

I thought I saw in a making-of clip that he was added in too.

#8 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,816 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:46 PM

ah yes- that was probably radagast then….i thought it a stretch even for jackson putting bombadil in (though i would have loved to see him in the trilogy)

#9 DurinIII

DurinIII

• Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:12 PM

Yeah guys, that is definitely Radagast. Awesome! Rich, I am sorry, had I known your aversion to the spoilers, I would not have posted it out of respect. ;)

#10 cordeirooo

cordeirooo

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:24 PM

I liked the trailer.

Don't hesitate to post because of Rich, he can simply 'not look'; and I believe he wouldn't be mad at you for posting more of those.

Zwerg - a brilliant BGG user - recently created a LEGO model of Henneth Annun (hidden Outpost) and uploaded it to LEGO CUUSOO. Simply click on the link below the picture, register with CUUSOO (it's free of charge, and LEGO does not send spam). Then click on the green SUPPORT button.

http://lego.cuusoo.c...deas/view/45646

Zwerg is the guy who made those nice reports with LEGO pieces.

#11 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,816 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:52 PM

DurinIII said:

Yeah guys, that is definitely Radagast. Awesome! Rich, I am sorry, had I known your aversion to the spoilers, I would not have posted it out of respect. ;)

not at all- and my comment was only in jest, there is a bit of a on going joke that anything that breaks the lore in the film will have me pulling my hair out….when i said im never watching it i meant the films themselves, as i actually love spoilers for things.

so i dont mind at all, and even if i did it wouldnt be fair to the rest of the board, so post away

rich

#12 DurinIII

DurinIII

• Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:04 AM

Gotcha Rich. So, you really don't plan on seeing the films?

#13 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,816 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:23 AM

DurinIII said:

well, i guess it would be unrealistic to say ill never watch it on dvd in my entire life, however im certainly not going to the cinema to see it, i think (and this is totally my fault) that i shall be far too critical to enjoy it, though perhaps once the reviews and clips and so on is out and the hype has died down, i shall maybe sit down and give it a watch

…..its just those damn dwarves man…… haha

rich

#14 Captain Poe

Captain Poe

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:30 AM

The hobbit has always been, and will always be my favorite book. I've waited all my life for this film(s) to be made. That being said, I was sad when my all time favorite director (Del Toro) dropped the film. Anyhow, will this movie break cannon? Yes. Will it remove important plot points, dialogue, and scenes to add in extended over rendered special effects fight scenes? Yes. Will they remove content in favor of making up content that jackson, not tolkien, has written? The worst, but yes.

That being said, i approach these movies knowing its basically a Hobbit re-write fan fiction. Knowing that, I can allow myself to enjoy the films despite the qualms with them. I'll never understand the people who say "its rubbish, I'm not seeing it"… anything short of Tolkien directing the films himself are going to end up with the director putting their own spin on it, so what do you expect? Why ruin the whole experience for yourself rather than just enjoy what you can?

#15 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:53 AM

richsabre said:

DurinIII said:

well, i guess it would be unrealistic to say ill never watch it on dvd in my entire life, however im certainly not going to the cinema to see it, i think (and this is totally my fault) that i shall be far too critical to enjoy it, though perhaps once the reviews and clips and so on is out and the hype has died down, i shall maybe sit down and give it a watch

…..its just those damn dwarves man…… haha

rich

I agree, those dwarves… And why couldn't they just give Thorin a long beard? Damn…

But on the other hand, I've come to like these movies, despite all the lore breaking and rewriting of the story. They are indeed inventing a lot of stuff, specially the things regarding the subplots that don't relate directly to the novel itself (they are basically interpreting the Appendices and mixing them with The Hobbit) but that's because the appendices and most of the info about that is so vague and simple that they have to invent dialogue, situations, scenes, etc. But it's not like the things they're adding are things that couldn't have happened (and it's no different than many of the stuff they "invent" for this game). I'm still looking forward to the films and will definately go to see them in cinemas. Plus, if you want the lore, you still got the book (and the rankin bass film to some extent). I am not so critical when relating it to the books, and want to enjoy the films as films alone (also because of the "cool" factor; I mean, they are made to be enjoyed, so I don't really care if they exaggerate some things).

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#16 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,816 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:06 AM

these are all valid points, however the over riding factor here is i am purely not interested in a film being made of the hobbit- i never was, even after the trilogy films and all the talk on it, i just thought, nah- im not seeing it. ive seen what jackson's interpretation of middle earth is, it has alot bad points and being fair alot of very good points, however ive seen it and have moved on….

perhaps if someone else had done the film i would be more engaged with it, but being honest when i want to visit middle earth i have the real thing in my study….----warning cheesy comment ahead---- and afterall the imagination is the most powerful processor of all

rich

#17 Avalanche

Avalanche

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:44 PM

Captain Poe said:

The hobbit has always been, and will always be my favorite book. I've waited all my life for this film(s) to be made. That being said, I was sad when my all time favorite director (Del Toro) dropped the film. Anyhow, will this movie break cannon? Yes. Will it remove important plot points, dialogue, and scenes to add in extended over rendered special effects fight scenes? Yes. Will they remove content in favor of making up content that jackson, not tolkien, has written? The worst, but yes.

That being said, i approach these movies knowing its basically a Hobbit re-write fan fiction. Knowing that, I can allow myself to enjoy the films despite the qualms with them. I'll never understand the people who say "its rubbish, I'm not seeing it"… anything short of Tolkien directing the films himself are going to end up with the director putting their own spin on it, so what do you expect? Why ruin the whole experience for yourself rather than just enjoy what you can?

I agree with this 100% I get so confused when people bash on the movies on how they break the lore and change important plot points.   My favorite was someone at work getting mad that Glamdring didn't glow blue in the movies so he hated them for it.  Personally I think you are just cheapening yourself out of a fun action packed movie to watch.  And if you don't like it cause it strays/breaks the lore how can you possibly play this game?  The idea of Gandalf, Radagast, Thorin Oakenshield, Frodo, Eowyn, Prince Imrahil,  Bifur, and Haldir (don't worry if he dies in this game you have multiple copies of him in your deck so he can come back unlike in the film) returning gollum to mirkwood or fighting the watcher in the water is far more ridiculous than anything Jackson does in the movie.  The books are better we all know that, but give the movies a try there is a reason they make so much money!  Every movie you go in with an attitude of the books better or lets see what the director will screw up on will be a bad film for you. 

#18 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,816 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:53 PM

Avalanche said:

Captain Poe said:

I agree with this 100% I get so confused when people bash on the movies on how they break the lore and change important plot points.   My favorite was someone at work getting mad that Glamdring didn't glow blue in the movies so he hated them for it.  Personally I think you are just cheapening yourself out of a fun action packed movie to watch.  And if you don't like it cause it strays/breaks the lore how can you possibly play this game?  The idea of Gandalf, Radagast, Thorin Oakenshield, Frodo, Eowyn, Prince Imrahil,  Bifur, and Haldir (don't worry if he dies in this game you have multiple copies of him in your deck so he can come back unlike in the film) returning gollum to mirkwood or fighting the watcher in the water is far more ridiculous than anything Jackson does in the movie.  The books are better we all know that, but give the movies a try there is a reason they make so much money!  Every movie you go in with an attitude of the books better or lets see what the director will screw up on will be a bad film for you. 

you either missed, or misunderstood my last post. allow me to expand

remember film is a medium- just like this game, the books, the online game, the art, the warhammer etc. and not everyone likes the video medium

personally am i quite happy taking a bunch of lore unfriendly group into moria in this game, or taking my hunter/ranger on his lonesome into the colds of forochel in the online game…as this stimulates my imagination. i come up with back stories and so on

the film on the other hand does nothing for me. it has some amazing images, music and acting, but i will always be below standard when it comes to enjoying middle earth.

so no, i am not 'robbing myself' of some extra privalage with this film, as i couldnt really care less….its nothing against the film or the actors, i just really dont get anything out of it

i seem to have a aquired a reputation for being something of an ignorant stubborn mule when it comes to tolkien lore, and thats probably deserved, but it must be pointed out that i engage with a large selection of 'tolkien mediums' if you like, and for the vast majority i have nothing but positive things to say…..apart from the films. and it just so happens that the films are so 'pop' at the moment that they get alot of forum time (not just on this one) so it probably appears im something im not

anyways- just thought id point that out

rich

#19 DurinIII

DurinIII

• Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:56 AM

Voltaire Rich, Voltaire: "I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." ;)

#20 Ted Sandyman

Ted Sandyman

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:57 AM

Hey come on guys, i think we all know that the magnitude of Tolkiens work was impossible to get into the Trilogy then the Hobbit movie coming up. I had mixed emotions a decade or so ago when the movies came out as i wanted to see them but i knew for sure that a lot of detail would be left out. It would need a hundred movies to even touch the real storyline but they had to do their best in the time given to them. Im a huge fan of Tom Bombadil, the single biggest enigma in the whole works (in my opinion) but we dont even get a sniff of him in the films as they havent got a clue what the hell he is !!! Im glad they did it but im frustrated like mad (if that makes sense) Cheers.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS