Long term release plans

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 TieDefender

TieDefender

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:40 AM

Do you think they have enough rebel fighters to release much more in the way of expansions? sure there is the B-wing and maybe Z-95 but the Imperials still have the Missile boat, Tie defender, Assault Gunboat and Tie Bomber….

I am just worried we won't get the really cool Imperial ships because the rebels don't have enough to balance it out.

#2 Fenrisnorth

Fenrisnorth

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:19 AM

There's a list on Wookiepedia. A lot of the stuff is EU, so we'll just have to wait and see.

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Starfighter

#3 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:31 AM

And the problem I see with the Z-95 is that the named pilots I can think of are Imperial during this era: Mara Jade and Bossk.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#4 TieDefender

TieDefender

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:37 AM

Did the rebels produce a starfighter that could rival the Tie defender in any of the EU stuff?  I remember reading the thrawn trilogy but I seem to remember that it was still classic ships being used.

#5 Darthjawa103

Darthjawa103

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:11 AM

well I think they will have to go into the EU to keep the game going for any real length of time. my only concern is that I was looking at the announcement for the Slave 1 and it looks like the it has the Imperial symbol on the maneuver dial. That makes me a little sad since I was hoping to get either a bounty hunter "faction" or a neutral faction. I was thinking of how cool it would be to eventually see Yuzhan Vong ships, but I think it would be WRONG to see them with Imperial markings on them.

#6 Wes Janson

Wes Janson

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:52 AM

There was an X-wing book where Rogue Squadron members fly Z-95s.

In regards to a rebel match the Tie-Defender never made mass production due to cost and the Empire falling apart. A counter measure never developed as a result.

The EU stuff should show up, there are too few movie ships in EIV,V,VI. I just hope that the prequel ships don't become the next focus :S

#7 TieDefender

TieDefender

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

I guess I forgot the E-wing which would help open the doors for a tie defender and there were upgraded X-wings.

Has there been talk about prequel ships? I would weep with sorrow if we got anything to do with those abominations rather then stuff from tie fighter the greatest video game ever lol.

#8 yagyu

yagyu

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:58 AM

Z-95 is interesting cuz u can have imp and rebel pilots for it, rebels could be Lieutenant Blount, Colonel Cracken and N'dru Suhlak and imp could be Mara jade and Bossk not to mention they can add in non unique pilots such as the Bespin Defense Pilot

#9 Emrico

Emrico

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:25 PM

Personally I hope they release every darn snub-fighter (and small starships too) that's been in the originals, the prequels, the EU, videogames, whatever.  That will just add to the longevity of the game.  I understand there are folks who don't care for the prequels.  That's fine, you don't have to buy those ships.  Please don't begrudge those of us who do want them by hoping they don't even make them.

Hoping they do a Z-95 with a pilot card for Han from "Han Solo at Star's End"!

Jim

Rebels: 3 YT-1300s, 4 X-Wings, 5 Y-Wings, 6 A-Wings, 6 B-Wings, 4 HWK-290s<p>Imperials: 8 TIEs, 4 TIE Adv, 12 TIE Interceptors, 3 Firesprays, 6 TIE Bombers, 5 Lambdas

#10 Euph3m1sm

Euph3m1sm

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:09 PM

It is a little dissapointing if it turns out that Slave 1 has Imperial markings, hopefully they could look into other Bounty Hunter ships.

As for the prequels… I certainly do not begrudge anyone getting them or wanting them but they're not something I really warm to and my interest in continuing to buy would end. I would imagine, though, that FFG would end up mixing prequels and OT ships in the same waves.

#11 Timerron

Timerron

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:55 PM

I would think that there would be a "new" game that would be for the prequels with the same mechanics and leave it to players to allow/not allow cross over.

#12 TieDefender

TieDefender

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:37 AM

I would rather they just finish the classic trilogy first before doing anything prequels , it would be kind of shitty for your builds to lack variety because they keep going back and forth between the 2 trilogies they just need to finish this one with the EU then they can move over to the other.

#13 TieDefender

TieDefender

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:43 AM

how many waves do you think this game will go? only having a few ships per wave makes me hope they are committed for a long time otherwise we aren't going to get enough of the ships.

#14 yagyu

yagyu

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:01 PM

Thats just it though, thats the whole reason they r likely to mix prequel stuff with OT stuff cuz it gives fans more to buy. I dont mind the prequal stuff coming out at the same time like lotr is doing with the hobbit cards, its a different game with the same mechanics that can be compatible if players want to battle droid fighters against tie fighters or x-wings ect. And lets not forget the Y-wing is technically already a clone wars era ship. I think they would release them together and each would produce expansions regularly, it makes  the most fiscal sense for them. Cuz they can only do so much with the OT before they r just either running out or reissuing x-wing and ties with different pilot cards. (id rather new pilots be released with my card expansion idea lol). They r going to have to either move to prequel era or EU era ships in order to keep the game going and i for one would love either or. For ppl who wanna keep it OT like i said they dont gotta buy the other era ships, and they can keep their games OT only. Im a collector at heart so the more different ships they put out the happier ill be.

• SoulCrusherEx likes this

#15 Emrico

Emrico

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:03 PM

yagyu said:

And lets not forget the Y-wing is technically already a clone wars era ship.

I would LOVE to see the Y-Wings from SW:TCW cartoon released for this.  Those are gorgeous.

Jim

• aadh likes this
Rebels: 3 YT-1300s, 4 X-Wings, 5 Y-Wings, 6 A-Wings, 6 B-Wings, 4 HWK-290s<p>Imperials: 8 TIEs, 4 TIE Adv, 12 TIE Interceptors, 3 Firesprays, 6 TIE Bombers, 5 Lambdas

#16 ThePendragon

ThePendragon

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:19 AM

I know I am probably just wishful thinking here…but some of the ships from the SW:TOR MMO would be cool for this too.  

The Imperial type VI "Dagger" would be awesome.  I also love the X-70 Phantoms, the SIth Marauders (Which were prequels to what Darth Maul used in Ep 1) and the "Stealth Ties have the inward canted wings like the marauders.  The Corellian Lt corvette..and even the Republic fighters would be cool.  

I know alot of other stuff is in the pipeline….and their may be licensing issues…..but I personally would love to see some of them make it into this game.

#17 Arcane Springboard

Arcane Springboard

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:53 AM

I'm hoping that at some point FFG makes a Fleet Scale minis game, with Star Destroyers, Mon Calamari cruisers as the first main components. 

#18 bayruun

bayruun

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:10 AM

I'd like to see the prequel stuff released, but very preferably after the Empire era stuff has enough variety.

As for capital ships, that would require a very different set of rules to play. I'd love to see that done a lot better than the previous incarnation (cough Starship Battles cough).

#19 rogue_lead

rogue_lead

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:58 PM

The main problem with having prequel-era ships would be that their stats would be poorer than those of the OT.  Or at least that's how it would feel more correct to me and be more representative of technology having improved over time.

Looking at the way FFG marketed and sold Wings of War, I believe they may simply reissue existing ships with different markings and give us new character cards for what are essentially the same sculpts.  Just based on the Battle of Yavin alone, there's at least a pile of Rebel Pilots that have not yet been given their own cards:

Red Leader - Garven Dreis *done*

Red Two - Wedge Antilles *done*

Red Three - Biggs Darklighter *done*

Red Four - Jon D. Branon (who replaced Cisi "Doc" Eiriss shortly before Yavin - another character option)

Red Five - Luke Skywalker *done*

Red Six - Jek Tono Porkins

Red Seven - Elyhek Rue

Red Eight - Bren Quersley

Red Nine - Nozzo Naytaan

Red Ten - Theron Nett

Red Eleven - Wenton Chan

Red Twelve - Puck Naeco

Gold Leader - Jon "Dutch" Vander *done*

Gold Two - Tiree

Gold Three - Ryle Torsyn

Gold Four - Lt Lepira

Gold Five - Davish "Pops" Krail

Gold Six - Hol Okand

Gold Seven - Keyan Farlander

Then there's the Battle of Endor, with the A-Wing and B-Wing Squadrons too.  I can see myself getting at least another 10 X-Wings to properly field Red group/Rogue Squadron and another 11 Y-Wings to complete Gold Squadron.  Thanks to Stackpole's books and the X-Wing/TIE Fighter game series, I'd say that there's still some distance left to cover before you could say they'd run out of stuff to release.

#20 tiepilot1138

tiepilot1138

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:17 AM

rogue_lead said:

The main problem with having prequel-era ships would be that their stats would be poorer than those of the OT.  Or at least that's how it would feel more correct to me and be more representative of technology having improved over time.

Looking at the way FFG marketed and sold Wings of War, I believe they may simply reissue existing ships with different markings and give us new character cards for what are essentially the same sculpts.  Just based on the Battle of Yavin alone, there's at least a pile of Rebel Pilots that have not yet been given their own cards:

Red Leader - Garven Dreis *done*

Red Two - Wedge Antilles *done*

Red Three - Biggs Darklighter *done*

Red Four - Jon D. Branon (who replaced Cisi "Doc" Eiriss shortly before Yavin - another character option)

Red Five - Luke Skywalker *done*

Red Six - Jek Tono Porkins

Red Seven - Elyhek Rue

Red Eight - Bren Quersley

Red Nine - Nozzo Naytaan

Red Ten - Theron Nett

Red Eleven - Wenton Chan

Red Twelve - Puck Naeco

Gold Leader - Jon "Dutch" Vander *done*

Gold Two - Tiree

Gold Three - Ryle Torsyn

Gold Four - Lt Lepira

Gold Five - Davish "Pops" Krail

Gold Six - Hol Okand

Gold Seven - Keyan Farlander

Then there's the Battle of Endor, with the A-Wing and B-Wing Squadrons too.  I can see myself getting at least another 10 X-Wings to properly field Red group/Rogue Squadron and another 11 Y-Wings to complete Gold Squadron.  Thanks to Stackpole's books and the X-Wing/TIE Fighter game series, I'd say that there's still some distance left to cover before you could say they'd run out of stuff to release.

There may be a lot of pilots left, but is there really any difference other than perhaps a special ability?  Most of these guys died REAL fast, so would probably not be any different than a red squadron pilot (or gold).  I can't see buying a repaint if there's no strategic value (especially if I already have plenty from wave 1.

There ma

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS