Pregenerated Characters?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 damiller

damiller

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:57 AM

Anyone know if the Beginner game will have just Pre Gens or will it allow some character creation. It seems from the ad line that character creation might be an option with just limited starting careers and such. I am hoping it will, that would make the box more useful to me at any rate.

d :D

#2 Kagesh

Kagesh

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:15 AM

The description page says that the Beginner's Box rulebook will lack a section on Character Creation. So no, you will only have the pre-gen's with this product. I suppose you could make other characters based on the pre-gen characters races, careers, talents, and skills, but if it isn't in the folios, you won't have it in the rulebook.

Mark

#3 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:03 AM

Yeah, I had a feeling that a full-fledged character creation option wouldn't be there.

Most "intro box sets" that are intended simply as a gateway into the full game tend to stick to pre-gens.  Things like the old D&D box sets were meant to be used as stand-alone games, though with the admitted hope of getting the buyer to "upgrade" to Advanced D&D, but it wasn't required.

Still, might be a savvy marketing idea to offer additional pre-gens as free web downloads, perhaps with bits of material from the full ruleset as a teaser/incentive to buy the RPG book once it comes out.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#4 Kagesh

Kagesh

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:30 PM

Donovan Morningfire said:

Yeah, I had a feeling that a full-fledged character creation option wouldn't be there.

Most "intro box sets" that are intended simply as a gateway into the full game tend to stick to pre-gens.  Things like the old D&D box sets were meant to be used as stand-alone games, though with the admitted hope of getting the buyer to "upgrade" to Advanced D&D, but it wasn't required.

Still, might be a savvy marketing idea to offer additional pre-gens as free web downloads, perhaps with bits of material from the full ruleset as a teaser/incentive to buy the RPG book once it comes out.

Given the talk on the game's main forums about pdfs and online content, I wonder if they will be able to offer web extras. I really hope that they are able to as that is a great way to support the product!

Mark

#5 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

• Members
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:31 PM

Kagesh said:

Given the talk on the game's main forums about pdfs and online content, I wonder if they will be able to offer web extras. I really hope that they are able to as that is a great way to support the product!

Mark

WotC was able to offer a series of web extras under a semi-loophole that listed the website materials as "promotional material for the RPG," and included RPG stat blocks for a bunch of figures from their minis line, a selection of starships and NPCs, and even cut material from some of their books.

FFG is able to offer the weekly updates, a character sheet, and a sheet that can be used for dice stickers for free on their website, so I'd imagine the same thing applies to them as well.

#6 lupex

lupex

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:51 AM

FFG is able to offer the weekly updates, a character sheet, and a sheet that can be used for dice stickers for free on their website, so I'd imagine the same thing applies to them as well.

And a all-singing, all-dancing, dice roller, how is that not an electronic game?

#7 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

• Members
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:46 AM

lupex said:

And a all-singing, all-dancing, dice roller, how is that not an electronic game?

Probably a similar case, in that it's an RPG support product that is generally of little value on its own as opposed to being a fully stand-alone product the way a PDF copy of the rules would be.

I agree that it's fairly ridiculous, but hey, that's contract law for you.

#8 Dustin

Dustin

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:14 AM

Two things:

FIRST: I really, really hope they put out another two characters (or more) as PDFs on their website when they release this, because my gaming group is really excited to play this, but I have 5 players (sometimes six) every week. I mean, if I can't run it for my group, then I can't really use it (which means I most likely won't buy it).

SECOND: has anyone who works for FFG ever chimed in on these forums and answered questions?

#9 gribble

gribble

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

Dustin said:

has anyone who works for FFG ever chimed in on these forums and answered questions?

Yes - there have been a couple of posts from designers (Sam Stewart and Jay Little). Mostly just clarifying where we're going off the rails a bit in terms of playtesting, or clarifying content that will be in the final game but isn't in the beta, rather than generally answering our questions (which are addressed by the beta updates).

Star Wars Edge of the Empire (Beta test) resources

Reference Sheets | Combat Reference Sheet | Critical Cards | Talent Tree Reference

#10 Dustin

Dustin

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:12 AM

I was just curious since I have never seen anyone on here.

BTW, I sent an email to them asking about extra Pregens and here is what I got back:

"Thanks for your group's interest in the Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game. For additional details about the game, please keep checking back to the website as we get closer to the release."

DOH! I would not say that really gave me my answer, but I have a funny feeling they know I will keep checking back anyway (lol)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS