Expansions Idea

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 yagyu

yagyu

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:51 PM

So if your like me, you wanna play with more pilots, like the rogues, and other famous and even minor pilots who arent in the game expansions. Now I dont know if they are going to pump out more x-wing ship expansions, but that might not be the most equitable thing for some, so i heres my idea. Much like their living card games they can put out an expansion pack without a ship, just cards. In the expansion they can give us a good number of alternate pilots for the already established ships, maybe a few more tokens and counters, and upgrades, and heres the real cool thing they can add to it, new missions! A nice foldout rules page similar to the ones in say lotr lcg. This saves them some cash on reissuing the same x-wing model and gives the fans a bunch of new pilots and goodies. Also we can get some alternate versions of pilots as well, maybe flying different ships such as Tycho Celchu who in an expansion like this can now fly an X-wing as a rogue squadron member.

What do u guys think?

"It was so artistically done."-Grand Admiral Thrawn

#2 Daveydavedave

Daveydavedave

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:14 PM

I personally like the currently limited pilot options because of balance, however I think your ideas are pretty good.  An expansion with a couple more pilots, a high quality space or death star play mat and maybe some 3D asteroids or towers could be really great and worth buying for the harder core.

I'm glad you are suggesting only adding content from the original trilogy.  I hope to never see episode 1-3 stuff invade this fantastic game.

#3 Stone

Stone

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:24 PM

I like the idea of just putting out new cards etc or additional pilots and add ons.   Once the game gets larger it will take some of the uniformity out of the game and add a greater degree of depth, strategy and synergy. 

#4 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:01 PM

I'd been thinking this idea wouldn't fly, but I'm starting to change my mind. After the announcement for the Runewars Revised Edition, it's apparent that FFG is trying to cut costs, both for themselves and for the consumers. I could see card-only expansion packs as a cost-effective way to expand the game by not requiring more miniatures to be produced.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#5 AngryMojo

AngryMojo

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:08 PM

Mansions of Madness, Space Hulk: Death Angel and WFRP already do small POD expansions.  I'd love to see X-Wing do similar things.

#6 DrUnK3n_PaNdA

DrUnK3n_PaNdA

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:30 PM

Daveydavedave said:

I personally like the currently limited pilot options because of balance, however I think your ideas are pretty good.  An expansion with a couple more pilots, a high quality space or death star play mat and maybe some 3D asteroids or towers could be really great and worth buying for the harder core.

I'm glad you are suggesting only adding content from the original trilogy.  I hope to never see episode 1-3 stuff invade this fantastic game.

I was actually terrified by that same notion last night. Miniatures games that come out with small expansions over time with included rules cards tend to have power creep. Once they exhaust all the original trilogy stuff, I wagered they'd move to the new trilogy… which is bad enough… and thanks to power creep it would probably become a staple in most competitive forces.

Don't do it FFG. For the love of all that's holy, don't do it!

It might be nice in the future to see some card/token only expansions that add new pilots and options to existing ships. I also want to see B-Wings and TIE Bombers of course.

#7 yagyu

yagyu

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:11 PM

What r u talkin about man, i totally wanna see every star fighter we can from the EU. They have some great stuff. Why would they wanna limit themselves ONLY to the classic trilogy, that makes no sense fiscally and i think the majority of fans would want the game to continue past return of the Jedi.

#8 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

Laser Brain

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:21 PM

I can see a lot of scenario possibilities with one of these:

Other than what's been mentioned, there isn't a lot from the classic trilogy left to cover, unless we start getting into some really large ships, but scale is a serious issue there. You can maybe dig for the Z-95, the Outrider, the Moldy Crow without leaving the classic era. But it wouldn't break my heart to have a chance to field an N-1, Jedi starfighter, or vulture droid.

Join the Unofficial X-Wing Galactic Campaign and propel your favorite faction toward victory every time you play!

#9 herozeromes

herozeromes

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:17 AM

DagobahDave said:

Other than what's been mentioned, there isn't a lot from the classic trilogy left to cover, unless we start getting into some really large ships, but scale is a serious issue there. You can maybe dig for the Z-95, the Outrider, the Moldy Crow without leaving the classic era. But it wouldn't break my heart to have a chance to field an N-1, Jedi starfighter, or vulture droid.

With this, they could release a Rebel and Imperial version with different missions to carry out.

#10 yagyu

yagyu

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:28 AM

Also if u only wanna play ships from the classic trilogy era, then only buy and play ships from that era, but other fans should be afforded their opportunity to be able to continue collecting and trying out new ships from either the EU or even the prequels. Heck they can even go into the Old Republic and Tales of the Jedi era if they like, which could be cool, you would just then have Era restriction rules for squad building in tournaments. Technically a clone wars era would be like a different game all together but still compatible similar to the way the LOTR lcg is handling their Hobbit expansions.

#11 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:30 AM

herozeromes said:

DagobahDave said:

With this, they could release a Rebel and Imperial version with different missions to carry out.

I'd rather buy one shuttle that had both Imperial and Rebel cards, rather than having to buy the same model twice to get all the cards, even if the added scenarios increased it to $40 instead of $30 like the Falcon.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#12 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

Laser Brain

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:15 AM

herozeromes said:

I think they'd just release one version of the model and include cards that let players swap ownership. They might not release this one as a plastic model at all, and instead use a placeholder card like the senator's shuttle. But it seems to me that the Imperials really need a diplomatic vessel to protect, so I hope this one goes into production.

Join the Unofficial X-Wing Galactic Campaign and propel your favorite faction toward victory every time you play!

#13 herozeromes

herozeromes

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:15 AM

DagobahDave said:

herozeromes said:

I think they'd just release one version of the model and include cards that let players swap ownership. They might not release this one as a plastic model at all, and instead use a placeholder card like the senator's shuttle. But it seems to me that the Imperials really need a diplomatic vessel to protect, so I hope this one goes into production.

I half expect them to make two versions of the shuttle: Wings Up and Wings Down. Though, a card WOULD make sense.

#14 tiepilot1138

tiepilot1138

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:53 PM

herozeromes said:

DagobahDave said:

herozeromes said:

I half expect them to make two versions of the shuttle: Wings Up and Wings Down. Though, a card WOULD make sense.

Why would they do that?  Do you think they have plans to make an X-Wing with closed S-Foils?

#15 Stone

Stone

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:07 PM

yagyu said:

Also if u only wanna play ships from the classic trilogy era, then only buy and play ships from that era, but other fans should be afforded their opportunity to be able to continue collecting and trying out new ships from either the EU or even the prequels. Heck they can even go into the Old Republic and Tales of the Jedi era if they like, which could be cool, you would just then have Era restriction rules for squad building in tournaments. Technically a clone wars era would be like a different game all together but still compatible similar to the way the LOTR lcg is handling their Hobbit expansions.

I could see that, releasing models from different eras under th same ruleset.   The seemed to have one this Wings  War which had both WWI an WWII planes released.  This could follow the concept Flames of War has been doing, ie Early War, Middle War, Late War.  

#16 yagyu

yagyu

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:57 PM

Exactly and it wouldnt be a prob at tournaments cuz each tourny could have its own restriction set, so this weeks tourny is classic era, this week clone wars, this week old republic, this week new republic ect. THen theres the good old mix eras, the game is simple enough with its stats where we should have any OP pilots coming that will just completely imbalance the game the way many others card games and miniatures games in the past have, as much as i want every ship i can collect and play i dont want them to start imbalancing the game. I like the fact that this game relies allot on the players strategy skill and luck. If we start getting little sun crushers flying around the table as a player ship then yeah i can see major imbalance issues. Now a sun crusher token or mini that is for a mission and not player use could be cool. like with special rule set, where the sun crusher must be destroyed by 5 turns or 10 other wise it blows up the system and all ships in it. But then that wouldnt make much sense either as the sun crusher was indistructable lol But u catch my point.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS