Favorite Imperial Pilots & Why?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Daveydavedave

Daveydavedave

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:35 AM

Which Imperial pilots have you found to be most cost effective?

The trade off is always cost because naked basic ties are only 12pts a piece, and the more you buy, the larger your total hit point pool, the more shots you get and the more shooting arcs you have to work with.

Which character pilots do you like for their special abilities?  Have you found any combos that you like to run?

Does anyone use Black or Obsidian Squadron pilots?  Why not just take the cheap academy pilots?

I like Vader with concussion missiles and marksmanship (but its pricey!).  He seems well worth the extra 2 points over Maarek Stele.

Mauler Mithel is great with marksmanship (wait till you get 4 dice at close range and use marksmanship).

Dark Curse seems well worth his points for an ability which hard counters all locked targets and offensive focus.

Backstabber is one of the best named ties with his extra die from behind (which is easier to set up than Mauler Mithel's close shot).

#2 Shanturin

Shanturin

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:20 AM

I've played the Empire only a few times (I'm a Rebel player), but basing on my experience I can say which TIE pilots are the most annoying. I'll just point out the few I consider the nastier.

1. Vader - TIE Advanced itself is very good ship, but with Vader in it it's pure awesomeness. Surely, it's pricey point-wise with both missiles and an elite talent upgrade, but they're point well spent. He's certainly worth more than Maarek.

2. Night Beast - free focus is HUGE boon, and he works well both as a wingmen for someone with Swarm Tactics or as a flanking ship. In my opinion, the most versatile and thus the best TIE/ln pilot.

3. It's hard choice for the third place.

Howlrunner - a great support if you plan on using a lot of ships, though keeping them clone might be tricky. He's also skill 8 pilot and can take Swarm Tactics.

Backstabber - simply the best flanking pice in the game, If played right, he may easily earn back his points rolling 3-4 attack dice almost every turn (and getting 4 dice attack rolls is something not often seen in the Empire).

On the issue of Obsidian and Black Squadron pilots - if you happen to have some spare point, the Black Sq. P. is worth considering, as he probably will be firing before any non-uniqe Rebel ship, and he can get nast with, say, Marksmanship. He seems to present little threat, especially if there are some better pilots around, yet he might get that one lucky shot that puts the essential Direct Hit critical on the shieldless Rebel ship.

May my blade be sharp. May I sculpt a new fate for my enemies.

#3 DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:21 AM

Since I haven't played yet I have no practical data so i won't be insulted if my thoughts are ignored.

The reason to take Obsidian Squadrons is so you get to shoot before a rebel Rookie.  This is a gamble unless you already know that your opponent will be taking low skill pilots.  Otherwise it's more cost effective to go with academy pilots.  But if you need to burn a couple points and don't have any more skill slots or already have the desired named pilots, Obsidian Squadron Pilots work.

The reason to take Black Squadrons is to get skills into the list and also get the same potential of shooting before Rookies as Obsidian Squadies and attack simultaneously with Red Squadron types.  With a skill they cost the same as most of the named pilots, so you'll probably only take them after you've run out of named pilots or you intend on running the swarm tactics chain that's been getting talked up a bunch on the forum.  Using a high pilot skill pilot to boost the Black Squadie and then using Swarm Tactics with the Black's new Higher Skill level to boost someone else.

At least that's what I've been able to think up.

-DavicusPrime

#4 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:21 AM

Of course #1 goes to Vader.  Two actions is just awesome.  Not to mention he is in a TIE advanced so he has shields and can take missiles.

#2 Howlrunner - Imperials work best when they stay close and support each other.  Howlrunner is great at this.

#3 is actually the Academy Pilot.  They cost between half to a third the points of a average Rebel Pilot.  I don't mind the 1 skill for two reasons, first is swarm tactics.  Giving my skill 1 pilot a skill 9 in the shooting phase.  I also like Academy Pilot vs other generic pilots because even though a Black Squadron Pilot has a 5 skill, that still puts it at a lower skill than any named pilot.  So if you opponnant has all named pilots (it isn't really that common, especially among Rebel squadrons) then a academy pilot is functionally identical to a Black Squadron or Obsidian Squadron Pilot

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#5 AngryMojo

AngryMojo

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:06 AM

Backstabber, because he has his very own theme song.

javascript:void(0);/*1348002341978*/

He's funky!

#6 Daveydavedave

Daveydavedave

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:33 AM

AngryMojo said:

Backstabber, because he has his very own theme song.

javascript:void(0);/*1348002341978*/

He's funky!

Hahahaha, YES!!!!

"WHAT THEY DO?!?"  

#7 Tforster78

Tforster78

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:18 AM

#1 Backstabber is my favorite. His ability coupled with Barrel Roll equals toasted Rebels.  

#2 Vader is awesome because he is Vader.

#3 I like Winged Gundark because of his name.  

I will take Black Squad over Obsidian every time. The Elite Pilot skill can make a huge difference.  Determination alone is worth the extra points.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS