• 27 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:44 AM

Best pilot ever.

#2 vadersson

vadersson

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:44 AM

I also hope they release new pilots at some time.  There are several Red and Gold Squadrom guys that could still be put into the game.  I too would love a Porkins card.

Thanks,

Duncan

Gold 109 (ret.)

Wesa need Gungans!

#3 Daveydavedave

Daveydavedave

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:57 AM

Porkins should be a tournament participation promo or prize support.  That would draw the masses!

#4 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:38 AM

Daveydavedave said:

Porkins should be a tournament participation promo or prize support.  That would draw the masses!

No! Sorry, but no. I think Porkins should definitely be a pilot in a future X-Wing expansion that introduces new pilots and new upgrades. However, I'm against promos. I feel it goes against FFG's philosophy of letting everyone have an equal chance at obtaining their products. One of their major selling points is eliminating the chase for rares by having fixed distribution. I feel that promos and exclusives go directly against that philosophy.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#5 Daveydavedave

Daveydavedave

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:50 AM

Do you think they would sell pilot cards separate from ships?  So far all pilots come in ship packs.  Porkins is a red X-Wing pilot.  There is already a red X-Wing pack.

I was thinking Porkins could be kind of the "took an arrow to the knee" pilot.  So hes more of a collector item than a competitive piece.  In which case, he could be a fun prize support item.

Do you think they will actually introduce a Porkins pilot card?  How will they package it for retail? 

LOL his dial would be all red straight 1 moves.  And his actions would include "I've got a problem here" and "no, I can hold it, I'm alright… BOOOM" 

#6 Agrivar

Agrivar

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:22 AM

If Biggs had used his special ability (preventing a nearby fighter from being targeted), Porkins would still be alive! Shame on you, Biggs! Porkins' death was your fault!

I think that most of the remaining Red and Gold Squadron pilots are already being covered with the generic "X Squadron Pilot" card, although I would gladly see a future "Jek Porkins" card and "Davish Krail" (Gold 5) card. Both have a bit more of screen time in the movie than the other remaining rebel pilots.

#7 Daveydavedave

Daveydavedave

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:24 AM

Ya, what a ****!

#8 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:02 AM

Porkins could realistically be a significantly cheaper X-Wing(17-19?) with a pilot ability like "At the end of combat roll one attack die. On a result of critical hit take..some form of damage, or destroy the ship.. " or.. "Red Maneuvers performed by this ship incur one uncancellable damage in addition to a stress token"

#9 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:03 AM

Porkins could realistically be a significantly cheaper X-Wing(17-19?) with a pilot ability like "At the end of combat roll one attack die. On a result of critical hit take..some form of damage, or destroy the ship.. " or.. "Red Maneuvers performed by this ship incur one uncancellable damage in addition to a stress token"

#10 kaffis

kaffis

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:50 AM

Daveydavedave said:

Do you think they would sell pilot cards separate from ships?  So far all pilots come in ship packs.  Porkins is a red X-Wing pilot.  There is already a red X-Wing pack.

Not yet, but later, yes. After they've fleshed out a variety of ship types per faction, and I already had those ships in my collection, I would pay another $15 for a pack of pilot cards and the accompanying ship bases and new upgrades. The Rebels, in particular, are limited in the number of pilots available to them, even if they've got a diversity of upgrades. This goes double when we talk about themed forces of one ship type only. If I want to make Rogue Squadron a year from now, I should be able to do so, with all the named Rebellion-era Rogue Squadron pilots at my disposal. We'll see Tycho Celchu this year (who flew an A-Wing with Green Squadron during the second Death Star battle, but earlier (and later) had flown with the Rogues), but that won't take care of other veteran Rogues like Wes Janson, Dak Ralter, Hobbie Klivian, and Zev Senesca.

This will also keep FFG from backing itself into a corner with the product line -- there are only so many expansion packs they can release without breaking into either prequel or EU territory, which they seem hesitant to do (and might not want to mix time periods even if they do make a prequel era variant). Another three or four pilots for each ship type would let them stretch another expansion pack or two out of the game without compromising the pool of source material that they seem to want to keep pure and focused.

#11 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:18 AM

Daveydavedave said:

I don't think they'll sell cards separate from an X-Wing. I think they'll just package Porkins in an X-wing expansion like the one they have now, only it will have different pilots and upgrades.

As for color, I don't think it matters. First of all, we've seen from the previews of Wave 2 that some ship cards show blue A-wings and TIE Interceptors with blood stripes. Those color variants aren't sold as models even though the art of the corresponding ship cards shows it. So we could see a blue or green X-wing with Porkins as a pilot. Plus, people need the core to play and the core comes with a red X-wing so people can just put Porkins in that ship.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#12 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 961 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:13 PM

Porkins Video Tribute

#13 FarkonGnome

FarkonGnome

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:58 AM

Porkins destroys the Death Star

#14 Tenrousei

Tenrousei

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:20 AM

kaffis said:

Daveydavedave said:

This will also keep FFG from backing itself into a corner with the product line -- there are only so many expansion packs they can release without breaking into either prequel or EU territory, which they seem hesitant to do (and might not want to mix time periods even if they do make a prequel era variant). Another three or four pilots for each ship type would let them stretch another expansion pack or two out of the game without compromising the pool of source material that they seem to want to keep pure and focused.

Which begs the question of what kind of liscensing agreement FFG has with LFL.  They may not be able to go anywhere else yet, in regards to EU/prequals.

It's a game: have fun.  If is stops being fun, stop playing.

The greatest evil is the indifference of good men.

#15 bsmith13

bsmith13

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:43 AM

I think that Mike Stackpole (author of the "X-Wing" series) explained Porkins demise.  I might have the source wrong, and I'm paraphrasing, but:

Jek Porkins was a really good pilot who specialized in strafing larger targets.  The Death Star should have been right up his alley.  Unfortunately, he had a habit of setting his cockpit environmental intertial compensator to a constant 1G.  During the Battle of Yavin, he took some damage to his controls, and since the Imperials were putting out massive amounts of jamming energy, he had no idea he was actually descending towards the surface of the Death Star.  He was sure he was okay right up to the moment he hit.

Jek Porkins, RIP.  May the Force be with you.

(And I'd totally play him as well.) 

#16 Daveydavedave

Daveydavedave

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:01 AM

"Sir, you can't park your van on the diving board… That's not a van, that's just a fat kid!"

#17 sverigesson

sverigesson

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:34 AM

My one gripe so far in this game is the lack of Porkins! FFG, you better get with it! LET US FIELD PORKINS!

#18 JustinKase

JustinKase

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:24 PM

Posted Image

#19 MilesD37

MilesD37

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:51 PM

Tenrousei said:

kaffis said:

Which begs the question of what kind of liscensing agreement FFG has with LFL.  They may not be able to go anywhere else yet, in regards to EU/prequals.

I don't remember where it was i got this, and i may be odd slightly due to me not being able to reference the source right now… but i believe that with alot of star wars licensing they are required to start with movie relevant material, then as the line expands they are allowed to mix in EU…

this game would benefit greatly from EU, especially things straight from the X-Wing Rogue Squadron books…

i would also love to see a 2nd core set based in prequels (republic/separatist), just to give the option of other factions, more players…

#20 Daveydavedave

Daveydavedave

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:00 PM

I have to strongly resist the urge to vomit whenever the pre-quill movies are mentioned.  If they release episode I-III crap, I will not be buying it or playing with or against it.  I realize that this is a super opinionated position to hold.  I'm totally okay with that.  

NO MIDICHLOREANS!

HAN SHOT FIRST!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS