New player, what to buy after the core set

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Moses2813

Moses2813

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:49 PM

I'm not interested in a huge investment .  I just want to play 60 to 100 points per side.  Can anyone help?

#2 Darthjawa103

Darthjawa103

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:56 PM

well as of today I have bought TWO of everything and that seems to be enough to do decent sized games

#3 sverigesson

sverigesson

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:56 PM

As someone planning to collect both current factions, the next purchase should probably be one of each of the expansions, both for the two new ships as well as the new X-wing and Tie pilots.

#4 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:40 PM

I'm one of the people starting small: core set, the X-wing expansion and the TIE Advanced expansion. I was going to get the TIE fighter expansion just to keep it simple and have mono-ship teams, but since the Core Set comes with Luke Skywalker I had to get Darth Vader.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#5 El_Tonio

El_Tonio

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:47 PM

If you get one of everything it will cost you about $65 on Miniature Market or Cool Stuff Inc (plus s/h as it is only free if you spend $99 or $100).

Not sure if this will allow you to do any 100 point squads, but you should be able to do a good variety of 60 point squads on both sides. 

If it were me and I only wanted to spend a certain amount of cash, I'd go with one of each. That would give you access to all pilots, all upgrades, 2 X-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 3 TIE Fighters, and 1 TIE Advanced. All for less than $80 including shipping. 

#6 Daveydavedave

Daveydavedave

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:52 PM

El_Tonio said:

If you get one of everything it will cost you about $65 on Miniature Market or Cool Stuff Inc (plus s/h as it is only free if you spend $99 or $100).

Not sure if this will allow you to do any 100 point squads, but you should be able to do a good variety of 60 point squads on both sides. 

If it were me and I only wanted to spend a certain amount of cash, I'd go with one of each. That would give you access to all pilots, all upgrades, 2 X-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 3 TIE Fighters, and 1 TIE Advanced. All for less than $80 including shipping. 

+1.

El Tonio strikes again! Listen to this guy, kids.

#7 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:00 PM

I have the core set… 2 x wings, a Y wing and 2 advanced tie boosters and can play 100 points with either side… easily playing 100 points with rebels as 3 x wings and a Y wing is quite a bit of points, and can hit 100 points with 2 Ties and 2 advanced Ties as well although to do so requires a couple high priced pilots and some upgrades, but I played against my bro tonight and he used Vader with 7 points in upgrades and it was killer… that was 36 points right there and advanced Ties are quite potent with their shields and agility when paired with a pilot with a high skill value and pilot abilities/upgrades… you do not have to necessarily outnumber x wings by 2-1 as some people would lead you believe….

#8 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:50 PM

Honestly I think the next thing to buy after your first core set it your second core set.

Then look at the Pilots and ships you want.

I would buy a TIE advanced next, But I love Vader.

You may want to buy the X-wing box, 'cause Wedge is awsome.

Or perhaps you want a y-wing, They are really good backing up a couple of x-wings.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#9 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:18 PM

I think the strength of wave 1 really lies in the ability to recreate the battle of Yavin. From that perspective, I think the next ship you should get is a TIE Advanced and a Y-wing. A TIE Advanced and X-wing expansion would also be good because you'll have Vader along with Wedge, Biggs, and Luke who were the final flight against the Death Star.

But all that said, if you're buying from a game store, you've probably already spent $40 and are looking to spend at least $30 more to try to keep the teams even. $70 +tax may be quite a bit to some or next to nothing for others.

I think a second core set is nice, but I don't think it would be worth it until you had all the variety from the other packs first. But I could be wrong. My shipment doesn't come in for a few more days. I have two cores and 1 of each expansion, plus a second Y-wing on the way (I love Y-wings). That shipment came out to about $100.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#10 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:10 PM

buying one of each of the expansions does give a player some good 60 point game options, but really limits 100 point possibilities. so..get a buddy who's willing to share.

#11 AlKusanagi

AlKusanagi

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:26 PM

With one of everything, you can make some solid 75 point squads, such as a fully loaded X-wing and Y-wing VS a fully loaded Vader and 3 TIEs of various skill.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS