SaF difficulty rating

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cordeirooo

cordeirooo

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:15 PM

It is well known that FFG doesn't get 'difficulty rating' right (some may argue that they pull a number from a bowl and stick it as the difficulty), but FaS really took me by surprise.

I played with two friends, one being a rookie (first game played) and the other somewhat inexperienced; we played all 9 Dwarf heroes in three very thigh decks.

Now, I knew we would perform well, but the game was ABSURDLY fast and easy. One of us were NEVER attacked by the Balrog. The game lasted no more than 5 rounds and a few minutes (I really don't have a good time notion when playing). Gimli decimated the Balrog and then, we used the refresh action to win the game. Some nasty treacheries were revealed, but Thalin wasn't used very much since very few enemies were revealed.

Maybe we did something wrong, but I can't find what it was.

Anyone else had this experience?

Zwerg - a brilliant BGG user - recently created a LEGO model of Henneth Annun (hidden Outpost) and uploaded it to LEGO CUUSOO. Simply click on the link below the picture, register with CUUSOO (it's free of charge, and LEGO does not send spam). Then click on the green SUPPORT button.

http://lego.cuusoo.c...deas/view/45646

Zwerg is the guy who made those nice reports with LEGO pieces.

#2 richsabre

richsabre

Moby the Goldfish

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:34 PM

how did the balrog never attack any of you?

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#3 cordeirooo

cordeirooo

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:43 PM

richsabre said:

how did the balrog never attack any of you?

rich

ONE of us.
He only attacks people with 1 or higher threat.

http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/uploads/lotr/med_nori-ohauh.jpg

EDIT: Also, Feint.

Zwerg - a brilliant BGG user - recently created a LEGO model of Henneth Annun (hidden Outpost) and uploaded it to LEGO CUUSOO. Simply click on the link below the picture, register with CUUSOO (it's free of charge, and LEGO does not send spam). Then click on the green SUPPORT button.

#4 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:56 PM

sounds ok as long as you realized that the balrog couldnt be attacked by the player who kept his threat at zero unless he willingly engaged it and allowed himself to be attacked.

as with any of the "boss" quests, its easier with more people.  I havent played SaF with 3 people but ive only beat it once with two people (in about 5 attempts) and havent beat it ever solo (in about 8 attempts)

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#5 cordeirooo

cordeirooo

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:27 PM

Pharmboys2013 said:

sounds ok as long as you realized that the balrog couldnt be attacked by the player who kept his threat at zero unless he willingly engaged it and allowed himself to be attacked.

Yep. Nori never attacked him.
Also, never thought about that idea of engaging him optionally.

as with any of the "boss" quests, its easier with more people.  I havent played SaF with 3 people but ive only beat it once with two people (in about 5 attempts) and havent beat it ever solo (in about 8 attempts)

Hmmm. Could be that as well, what is the other 'boss' quest? I have all AP's, but a terrible memory. haha
I rarely play solo, and mostly play with 1 another player, could be that then. :D

#6 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:36 PM

cordeirooo said:

Pharmboys2013 said:

Hmmm. Could be that as well, what is the other 'boss' quest? I have all AP's, but a terrible memory. haha
I rarely play solo, and mostly play with 1 another player, could be that then. :D

I realize he didnt attack the player using Nori but what i meant was that the player who had Nori couldnt have attacked the balrog either since he never was considered to be engaged with him (unless he played dunedain cache on one of his heroes or something and attacked when the balrog was engaged with one of the other players)

i'd consider the "boss" quests….Escape from dol gulder (fighting the nazgul), conflict at the carrock (fighting the trolls), massing at osgilith (fighting the witch king), Watcher in the water (the watcher), shadow and flame (balrog), and whatever the name of the 1st hobbit quest is (the other trolls)

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#7 cordeirooo

cordeirooo

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:51 PM

""

I realize he didnt attack the player using Nori but what i meant was that the player who had Nori couldnt have attacked the balrog either since he never was considered to be engaged with him (unless he played dunedain cache on one of his heroes or something and attacked when the balrog was engaged with one of the other players)

""

I get it the first time.

""
i'd consider the "boss" quests….Escape from dol gulder (fighting the nazgul), conflict at the carrock (fighting the trolls), massing at osgilith (fighting the witch king), Watcher in the water (the watcher), shadow and flame (balrog), and whatever the name of the 1st hobbit quest is (the other trolls)

""

Uhhh, Dol Guldur! Crap, how did I forgot that? I almost always lost to that damn quest.
I haven't played Hobbit yet, but I prefer to play the quests I already played until I have my partners to play those new ones.  

**This forum software is the worst ever programmed thing in the world. Seriously.
They couldn't made it worse even if they TRIED.

#8 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:19 PM

Pharmboys2013 said:

cordeirooo said:

Pharmboys2013 said:

Im sorry but Massing in Osgiliath much more difficult with numbers of players. Try to play with 4 players and let me know. Its almost impossible to win.

Wizard is never late.......

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS