Stars of Inequity - new supplement

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:16 AM

I've not noticed any other topic discussing it so I'm starting one.

For my own sake the idea of a World Generator sounds very interesting and could also be of use for other lines as well, but also to speed up things for me as a GM when I'm out of ideas.

What's your opinions and expectations about the coming supplement?

#2 Lightbringer

Lightbringer

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:15 AM

The supplement sounds good… but do they really mean to call it "Stars of  Inequity?" The word is Iniquity, surely?

"Equity" means "Fairness." Inequity just means "unfairness." So effectively  the book is called "The unfair stars." I mean it makes sense, but it's a bit weak… You might as well just call it "The Nasty Stars." 

Iniquity, on the other hand, means "wickedness." It's a stronger word. It has connotations of immorality, depravity, wrongness. The whole point of the Koronus Expanse is that terrible, eldritch abominations haunt it.

I dunno…I'm probably being pedantic… I am a terrible, po-faced humourless pedant.  But the title already feels wrong to me. Perhaps it's because I deal with "inequity" a lot in my day job, usually in the context of idiots bringing utterly trivial legal disputes, so it just seems a really weak word… The sort of word people use when they're raising a formal grievance with their employer about their contractual entitlement to a tea break…

Perhaps FFG don't want to confuse people…as I recall, there's a world called Iniquity in the Koronus Expanse. Have I got that right? I don't have the supplements to hand, I'm on holiday!

#3 Danigral

Danigral

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:43 AM

Lightbringer said:

The supplement sounds good… but do they really mean to call it "Stars of  Inequity?" The word is Iniquity, surely?

"Equity" means "Fairness." Inequity just means "unfairness." So effectively  the book is called "The unfair stars." I mean it makes sense, but it's a bit weak… You might as well just call it "The Nasty Stars." 

Iniquity, on the other hand, means "wickedness." It's a stronger word. It has connotations of immorality, depravity, wrongness. The whole point of the Koronus Expanse is that terrible, eldritch abominations haunt it.

I dunno…I'm probably being pedantic… I am a terrible, po-faced humourless pedant.  But the title already feels wrong to me. Perhaps it's because I deal with "inequity" a lot in my day job, usually in the context of idiots bringing utterly trivial legal disputes, so it just seems a really weak word… The sort of word people use when they're raising a formal grievance with their employer about their contractual entitlement to a tea break…

Perhaps FFG don't want to confuse people…as I recall, there's a world called Iniquity in the Koronus Expanse. Have I got that right? I don't have the supplements to hand, I'm on holiday!

Glad someone else noticed this. I just popped on to say it was funny. Inequity brings to mind "Social Justice" in some make believe world…it's rather inane. Seems like someone plugged "injustice" into an online thesaurus. 

#4 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:31 AM

Lightbringer said:

The supplement sounds good… but do they really mean to call it "Stars of Inequity?" The word is Iniquity, surely?

"Equity" means "Fairness." Inequity just means "unfairness." So effectively the book is called "The unfair stars." I mean it makes sense, but it's a bit weak… You might as well just call it "The Nasty Stars."

Iniquity, on the other hand, means "wickedness." It's a stronger word. It has connotations of immorality, depravity, wrongness. The whole point of the Koronus Expanse is that terrible, eldritch abominations haunt it.

I dunno…I'm probably being pedantic… I am a terrible, po-faced humourless pedant. But the title already feels wrong to me. Perhaps it's because I deal with "inequity" a lot in my day job, usually in the context of idiots bringing utterly trivial legal disputes, so it just seems a really weak word… The sort of word people use when they're raising a formal grievance with their employer about their contractual entitlement to a tea break…

AGoT DC Meta said:

Glad someone else noticed this. I just popped on to say it was funny. Inequity brings to mind "Social Justice" in some make believe world…it's rather inane. Seems like someone plugged "injustice" into an online thesaurus. 

Iniquity is the name of a reaver planet in the Koronus Expanse, so I would agree that surely it is meant to be called "Stars of Iniquity"?

Regardless, I must say that the themes hinted on (just look at that damn cover - look at it!) and the features mentioned makes me look forward to this book very, very, very much. Hopefully it'll be another book shock-full of new, tangible stuff.

Here's hoping for some more Elite Advancement Packages, too.

Or some new character creation options.

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#5 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:37 AM

Not terrible excited for this, actually. There's a world generator elsewhere, and a xenos generator, too… Rogue Trader already has all the tools you'd want to make a game about colonizing forsaken worlds. More careers (xenos!) would've been wanted more than this, I think.

My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

#6 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:39 PM

I'm looking forward to it in that it might expand on the dangerous unknowns in the Koronus Expanse.  More Endeavors, ideas, concepts, rumors, all the hype.  I am looking forward to the World Generator in that it will actually create star systems with various planetary bodies, not just "a world."  Only as long as it isn't like the BFK Ground Wars, which, IMO, were sadly thought out and extremely inadequate.  No flavor whatsoever.    Anyhoot, looking forward to the supplement. 

EDIT:  P.S.  Plushy, are you referring to the fan created world generators?  I have a few, and I love them actually.  I wonder if anyone from FFG used some those ideas…. (Rhetorical statement btw)

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

#7 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:45 PM

Nameless2all said:

I'm looking forward to it in that it might expand on the dangerous unknowns in the Koronus Expanse.  More Endeavors, ideas, concepts, rumors, all the hype.  I am looking forward to the World Generator in that it will actually create star systems with various planetary bodies, not just "a world."  Only as long as it isn't like the BFK Ground Wars, which, IMO, were sadly thought out and extremely inadequate.  No flavor whatsoever.    Anyhoot, looking forward to the supplement. 

EDIT:  P.S.  Plushy, are you referring to the fan created world generators?  I have a few, and I love them actually.  I wonder if anyone from FFG used some those ideas…. (Rhetorical statement btw)

There's one in one of the Gm Kits, iirc!

My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

#8 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:07 PM

Plushy said:

There's a world generator elsewhere…

Whislt I haven't seen the book I feel fairly safe in going out on a limb and saying that this books planet generator might be a tiny bit more in depth than the page or two it got in the RT GM Kit pamphlet. I could be wrong… but I'm probably not.

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#9 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

Plushy said:

There's one in one of the Gm Kits, iirc!

That's what that thing was called?  I must of just skimmed over it.  My apologies. 

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

#10 Cornwallis

Cornwallis

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:38 PM

I'm actually really excited for this supplement. its pretty much the book thats going to answer most of my mundane questions I have whenever I get stuck. sounds like its everything I expected GM kit to be before I found out it was just an adventure and system generator.

#11 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

• Members
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:32 PM

I am actually eager to hear about a "world book" for one of the game lines. It gives me hope that the same might be done for the Calixis Sector in the futur, a thing I really, really wish for and that would finally make me buy hardcopies again.

While not playing in the Koronus expanse, I look forward to the world generator (really hoping for something going into the depth this time) and for the rule reagarding exploration on the planets surface. Non of the system I rea about features guidelines for an adventure centred on "real exploring"…being it Explorers on a survey of a planet to judge it´s worthyness as a new colony or  a team of the Inquisition in the heat of the deserts of Klybo in search for some hidden heretics.

#12 TorogTarkdacil812

TorogTarkdacil812

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:56 PM

Altugh Colony and World Generators suounds interesting, I hope it will incloude Jericho Reach (as DW supplement)-styled write-up on prexisting worlds/parts of space. Any word on what size Stars of Inequity are going to be? 144-ish or 256-ish?

There is nothing as good as seeing rebel scum running out of a cave full of gas, right into the blasters of your battalion-–well, except sunrises, but for those you have to get up early.

#13 Darklordofbunnies

Darklordofbunnies

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:58 PM

As near as I can ascertain the book title is "Stars of Disproportionate Value", which makes some sense for a RT title. I'm all for making it "Iniquity" though.

#14 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:00 PM

I think that the current title sounds pretty silly. I don't really care for Stars of Iniquity either, but that's because I think that would make a fine title for a book about Chaos Reavers (along with Iniquity, ships and components, careers, etc.) for RT.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#15 Fresnel

Fresnel

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:02 AM

Perhaps we have a US/UK division here?

In the UK inequity might not be an everyday word, but if you have any interest in politics it should be familiar. In the context of a Rogue Trader it would indicate a one-sided, exploitative exchange - exactly what a RT wants! i.e. We give the locals some, glass beads and VD, we get them to mine precious metals for us in highly dangerous conditions and using methods that poison their environment…

I read the title as "Stars ripe for exploitation", which is a great RT title imo.

#16 Niqvah

Niqvah

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:17 PM

Fresnel said:

I read the title as "Stars ripe for exploitation", which is a great RT title imo.

I guess it is down to personal interpretation. I have to agree with Lightbringer's humourless, po-faced pedantry and say that a title meaning 'Stars of Unfairness' sounds a bit naff to me. I'm in the UK, and believe Lightbringer is, too.

Still, enjoyable though I'm finding the chat about the title (daft or not? you decide) I am looking forward to having the resources contained within. It's always helpful to the GM (and indeed players) to have ideas put before them about the sort of things that might lurk in the Expanse. Even if you have an excellent imagination, this sort of supplement can spin you off in new directions.

#17 Fresnel

Fresnel

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:24 AM

Self-evidently the title doesn't work for a number of potential customers, which isn't ideal. The title obviously worked for the author and I see (I believe) what he was going for. The word inequity is highly associated with rapacious capitalism in my mind… 

However, the content looks very useful for RT GMs and that is the real issue. We shall see if it is as good as it sounds.

#18 Lightbringer

Lightbringer

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:57 PM

Fresnel said:

Perhaps we have a US/UK division here?

In the UK inequity might not be an everyday word, but if you have any interest in politics it should be familiar. In the context of a Rogue Trader it would indicate a one-sided, exploitative exchange - exactly what a RT wants! i.e. We give the locals some, glass beads and VD, we get them to mine precious metals for us in highly dangerous conditions and using methods that poison their environment…

Hmmm… I dunno. I accept that the connotations one derives from a word are always going to be subjective, and that my daily encounters with whiny douchebags who constantly use the word “Inequity” may colour my view of this book’s title, but I don’t think it’s really a US/UK thing. The word has the same meaning in both countries, after all.

In the US the word “Inequity” may be used by politicians to make their statements seem more profound, and in the UK it’s used by people who want to raise 47 bullet pointed grievances about their employer’s failure to say “Happy Birthday” to them, but it still just means “unfair.”

Again, it’s a subjective thing, but “Inequity” is a weasel word, in my opinion. If one was doing a list of words that suit 40k, it would contain words like “Iniquity,” “Colossal”, “Heresy,” “Aflame,” “Eldritch” and “Desecrate.”

Words or phrases unsuitable for 40k include “Fluffy,” “Cuddle,” “Health and Safety,” “Unicorn,” “Teacake” and “Inequity.” I recognise I’m now setting myself up for 40k writers to include as many of those words as possible in the next book by way of a challenge!

Anyway, I’m making a vast mountain out of this molehill. The content of the book sounds excellent, and I’ll be getting it whatever happens, I’ve been wanting rules for colonies for a while, I even had a go at making my own, but they were unworkably abstract. This will be a must-purchase for me.

#19 Fresnel

Fresnel

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:24 AM

Imagine a colleague being paid more than you, given more respect by managers and in line for a promotion you are not even being considered for. Imagine this treatment is entirely at odds with work performance. As a white male I have observed this happen, but I've never been the wrong end of it. Still I can imagine how it might feel to be. So the word reminds me of this.

More generally for me the word conjures images of worker exploitation and virtual slavery in both history and the modern world. Such examples are not hard to find in the world. I don't associate it with malingerers trying to get free money from employment tribunals. Ymmv.

#20 Blood Pact

Blood Pact

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:14 PM

And you can't argue that Rogue Traders don't get to enjoy the habitual crushing of the masses.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS