Tournaments?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Jvirtue55

Jvirtue55

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:38 AM

So is Fantasy Flight going to support an active tournament scene or is this game going to be more of a casual game like most of their LCGs

Im a big fan of tournament play just for the fun of competeing and in this system with everyone able to get all the cards, the tournaments will be a lot more about skill and not what cards you own and how much money you have spent on the game.

I hope they do a cool tournament system with like excusive Star Wars Stuff to make more people want to be involved

What do you guys think of this game getting a solid tournament scene and support?

#2 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 821 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:08 AM

I believe it will. I think all of FFG's other LCG's except Lord of the Rings is supported with a tournament system and occasional prize kits, Game of Thrones being their largest scene and example.

I don't see why Star Wars wouldn't be supported as well. ^_^

#3 Jvirtue55

Jvirtue55

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:16 AM

Im sure it will be "supported"

What I want to know is will they really support it and make it something appealing to more people and really try to help drive the game support through tournaments and maybe like Exclusive Star Wars Swag, Im not talking money prizes (but i wouldnt complain) but some really good stuff so more then 14 people show up to the event at GenCon (Invasion im looking at you)

#4 Darksbane

Darksbane

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:37 AM

I'm sure it will be supported as much as the other LCGs, meaning we'll get league night kits, they will have regionals, nationals and worlds with some cool prizes at the national/worlds levels. Beyond that I doubt that it will be much different than the other lcgs

Cardgamedb.com - The source for Game of Thrones, Star Wars, Android: Netrunner, Lord of the Rings, Call of Cthulhu, and Warhammer: Invasion deckbuilders and spoilers. Now with 100% more FFG!

#5 Jvirtue55

Jvirtue55

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:57 AM

Thats to bad cause I think they could really sell this game to alot more people if they had more support and pushed it with Exclusive Star Wars Swag

#6 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 821 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:19 AM

Nothing stops you from doing better stuff for your own area, though. For Decipher Star Wars CCG (although Decipher had VERY good prize support) our local group would do all kinds of awesome extra things to promote and grow a very large tournament scene. I've seen homeade t-shirts, trophies, signed cards, extra packs or singles, game store gift certificates, etc.

There was a time when getting 20-25 people for EVERY local tournament at our game store for that game was almost guaranteed. I know myself and others will be doing anything extra we can again to help grow a scene for this game as well. With aid from FFG or not.

Star Wars! ^_^

#7 Jvirtue55

Jvirtue55

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:38 AM

I did the same thing for VS System but since then I have had alot of changes in my life (lost my wife to cancer and became a single dad of 2 young children) so I dont have the time like I use to so I was hoping It wouldnt be my responsibility to build up the support for this game

#8 Jvirtue55

Jvirtue55

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:22 AM

I did the same thing for VS System but since then I have had alot of changes in my life (lost my wife to cancer and became a single dad of 2 young children) so I dont have the time like I use to so I was hoping It wouldnt be my responsibility to build up the support for this game

#9 ChaosChild

ChaosChild

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:49 AM

Well, there's exclusive bits for all their other LCGs. Not sure what exactly you're expecting, but FFG aren't going to throw the kind of support at the game that VS got (that helped virtually bankrupt the company, among other things) or that Magic gets (supported by much higher card prices).

So if you'd be willing to pay twice the price for the game, and think everyone else would be too, then maybe you could expect that kind of support.

#10 Jvirtue55

Jvirtue55

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:42 AM

ChaosChild said:

Well, there's exclusive bits for all their other LCGs. Not sure what exactly you're expecting, but FFG aren't going to throw the kind of support at the game that VS got (that helped virtually bankrupt the company, among other things) or that Magic gets (supported by much higher card prices).

So if you'd be willing to pay twice the price for the game, and think everyone else would be too, then maybe you could expect that kind of support.

I dont expect them to put up the financial support like they did with VS that was only part of the things that bankrupted them the early bad set design on the expansion was a killer too, I just mean making prizes worth peoples travel and make them availible so its easy for a local store to run tournaments that want to run them I dont know how Fantasy Flight does their tournaments I have seen companies that make stores jump through alot of hoops to get tournament packages

#11 Darksbane

Darksbane

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:21 AM

Jvirtue55 said:

ChaosChild said:

I dont expect them to put up the financial support like they did with VS that was only part of the things that bankrupted them the early bad set design on the expansion was a killer too, I just mean making prizes worth peoples travel and make them availible so its easy for a local store to run tournaments that want to run them I dont know how Fantasy Flight does their tournaments I have seen companies that make stores jump through alot of hoops to get tournament packages

There aren't alot of hoops, just have to be a retailer and order through their site

http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/showproducts.cfm?FullCat=320

But I doubt looking at that will make you feel much better. They cost $17 each, the kits haven't been updated since first quarter of this year and well… at least personally they aren't exactly something I would be excited about competing over. The deck boxes are kind of nice I guess, but patches? Some of the old kits had playmat as the main prize and some custom counters as the alternate prize, which was better but still it never exactly set anyone in my group on fire to have a league night.

You can see some of the older kits in the LCG news feed

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?etyn=1&ecan=88&epn=0

Honestly I had not looked at their OP kits in a long while and I really gotta say that it is looking pretty sad at the moment. 

Cardgamedb.com - The source for Game of Thrones, Star Wars, Android: Netrunner, Lord of the Rings, Call of Cthulhu, and Warhammer: Invasion deckbuilders and spoilers. Now with 100% more FFG!

#12 Jvirtue55

Jvirtue55

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:19 AM

See thats what im worried about crappy league kits

So what would you like to see in a league kit?

I love Play Mats

Alternate Art Cards Like EAs or Foils I dont think exclusive cards would work well maybe like a special objective for each tournament that you partiapate in so you at least get 6 cards for playing and then like winner gets EAs Foils or Mats and then for like the month just some kinda of excusive Star Wars thing that collectors would also like for two reasons to get collectors in to the game and maybe if you dont want it you can sell it on Ebay and make a little money

So like I said what do you think would be in a successful league kit

#13 Jvirtue55

Jvirtue55

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:36 AM

Man I just looked at some of thouse Kits and they are beyond crappy

#14 Darksbane

Darksbane

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:48 AM

Hmmm, if I was to design my own league kit I guess it would be something like

Weekly stuff

Custom counters as the participation prize

Alternate Art (or movie picture) cards for first and second place

Monthly/Quarterly prizes for having the best record

Unique deckbox or card storage box as top 4 prize

Playmat for 1st place

Other options:

High Quality art prints

Uncut sheets of a pack

A certificate for a free expansion pack

#15 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:26 AM

Darksbane said:

http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/showproducts.cfm?FullCat=320

But I doubt looking at that will make you feel much better. They cost $17 each, the kits haven't been updated since first quarter of this year and well… at least personally they aren't exactly something I would be excited about competing over. The deck boxes are kind of nice I guess, but patches? Some of the old kits had playmat as the main prize and some custom counters as the alternate prize, which was better but still it never exactly set anyone in my group on fire to have a league night.

You can see some of the older kits in the LCG news feed

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?etyn=1&ecan=88&epn=0

Honestly I had not looked at their OP kits in a long while and I really gotta say that it is looking pretty sad at the moment. 

Those are not the current kits. You guys can probably not see them in the store as you do not have a B2B account. The current kits are the Q3 kits as can be seen here on the FFG Organized Play section. www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp

These are the kits that are in the store right now for those of us with B2B accounts to order.

#16 Darksbane

Darksbane

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:20 AM

Ah well thats good at least, they changed the category that they announced the kits in.

And those kits do look much better than the previous kits. I still think they could use some more stuff in them though

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS