The board game as a role playing game.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 shorty_monster

shorty_monster

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:23 PM

I was just wondering how many other people play this game from the point of view of the character, after reading the blurb on the back of the character card, and spend the time to get into the shoes of the character? It's something I do a lot, and not just with Arkham Horror, and I always fine myself enjoying the game more. i know I come from more of an RPG back ground, I was just wondering if it was just me…

#2 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:01 PM

No, Shorty_Monster ~ I'm a 30+ year veteran of D&D (the Blue Box), AD&D, and currently run a campaign with a friend in Florida (thank goodness for fast internet, a webcam, and Fantasy Grounds).  Anyway, from the moment I first played this game I was hooked ~ not just because of the theme, but that you could really get into the character.  Believe me, though, when a friend described the game to me I thought I'd have to slap some sense into him…"what are you doing playing a Board Game…a Board Game?!?!"  But when I saw it displayed in its tentacally glory upon my brother's pool table…I fell in love with it. 

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#3 Nun of your business

Nun of your business

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:49 AM

Yup! We even do voices! My friend Amy does the best Jenny Barnes evar!

Some of our in-game decisions, even, are not always made with the best tactical advantages in mind, but rather how we think a character might respond to a certain situation.

#4 jgt7771

jgt7771

Saving the world from cosmic evil since 2006

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:03 AM

Not even remotely "just you".  My Cult tends to flow in and out of character--half the time we're in character, the other half we're "commentators" on the action below--but many decisions have been made from the POV of the Investigator.  A lot of the time it's when a Personal Story (Investigator) conflicts with Game Strategy (Player).  Does Jenny/Hank save her/his sister/father, or seal a Gate?  I'd love to finish Tommy's/Silas's Story, but then, I'd really like to continue playing Tommy/Silas…

What was that noise?

#5 Mike Eldredd

Mike Eldredd

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:21 AM

Wow, that's still a long way off for my group - we're almost all from a pretty strict boardgaming background so teaching them to read the flavour text out loud is tricky even.  I'm now starting off each game by having each character read their background out loud and "introducing" themselves - I'm hoping that will lend a little more atmosphere to the proceedings - we have a few very impatient players who like to blow through "unimportant" parts pretty quick - trying to get everyone to slow down and share the game is a chore but i'm sure it will be worth it.

#6 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:28 AM

I try to.  Others dread me playing Charlie Kane, "Vote Kane, Kane for Mayor, An Elder Sign in Every Pot".

It happens at other tables, a friend recounted playing with someone playing Ashcan Pete who roleplayed that he kept going into places because Duke kept running off into them.

The game can tell a story back to you sometime. 

Case One

Salesman Bob, the two Doctors Carolyn and Kate and the Student Amanda.

In one of those nice twists, nightgaunts twice were helpful, since losing a combat check against one means being carried off and dumped through a gate. By the time the Terrible Experiment was addressed, the remaining gates were stacked up with nasty monsters - fighting through them would leave an investigator likely weakened facing outer world. This was where coincidentally Kate being snatched up and dumped twice through gates, avoiding monsters, was handy (as she had the clues to close them but was worried about fights).

If you're familiar with Lovecraft's mythos etc. that makes some sense actually - they are servants of Nodens, no friend of humanity but a foe of the Ancient Ones, so that they capriciously send mortals to the outer worlds where maybe they work against the AO's is logical. Just lucky the investigator sent had clue tokens to seal each time.

Case Two

This time 4 ladies (random pulls) against Yig. An example of story and also the twists and turns.

Gate sealing is going well, one away from a win. But doom tokens to awaken Yig have also risen to be only 2 left and terror track one step from closing general store.

Yig gains doom tokens not only when new gates open but also whenever a "cultist" monster is killed. Yig is disturbed by the deaths of his followers. So what happens?

A "weather" (mystic) effect comes into play that prevents gates from being sealed. A monster surge also brings out 2 cultists (the number that if killed mean Yig awakes).

The story: Yig's favoured are outraged that investigators dare oppose the scaled god and take to the streets ready to shed their blood to bring him to this world, while also enacting a ritual that halts the investigators' meddling with ttheir master's impending arrival.

So nice. Mechanically, investigators are sitting on gates they've explored with clues to seal them hoping no new monster surge deposits a nasty there with them. Eventually yes that does happen though not before an investigator pulls a location encounter "a monster appears" and what is it….. another cultist! A killer DM out to get me couldn't have done better! Investigator makes choices intended to throw the fight (tries to sneak when cultist's awareness means she's rolling 0 dice), taking stamina damage that sends her to hospital, because losing half her stuff better than adding token to doom track.

In the end the ladies win - this time the serpent rues the day it faced Eve's daughters. .

#7 Walk

Walk

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:10 PM

Wow, I must that I'm sort of surprised this thread hasn't brought the Wrath of Avi down upon Shorty_Monster.  Anyway: not quite, no.  I do love the story, but I never quite get into the role of the character.  Well, not in a serious manner, anyway.  However, like Mike Eldredd, I do insist on people reading their character's background aloud at the beginning.

#8 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,435 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:47 PM

Walk said:

Wow, I must that I'm sort of surprised this thread hasn't brought the Wrath of Avi down upon Shorty_Monster.  Anyway: not quite, no.  I do love the story, but I never quite get into the role of the character.  Well, not in a serious manner, anyway.  However, like Mike Eldredd, I do insist on people reading their character's background aloud at the beginning.

I guess Avi's reading the board very rarely lately. It's more or less 4 months he doesn't post anything

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS