Are they going to do Big ships?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 hoduken

hoduken

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:47 AM

So i love the game so far. Reminds me strongly of the old pc games. I was watching a large 300 point game last night and i thought to myself how awesome it would be to do this around a corvette or something. Does anyone want them to do the larger ships?

#2 Darthjawa103

Darthjawa103

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:54 AM

the general consensus seems to be NO, but I really hope they do. I played the Wizards of the Coasts version, Starship Battles, and they had capital ships. If I remember they weren't really to scale, and I think that is what everyone is concerned about. I wouldn't care about the scale being exact. Of course they would have be bigger, and therefore more expensive, but I think its too cool of an idea to NOT do it.

#3 hoduken

hoduken

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:12 AM

You could feasibly do a Corellian Corvette at scale. …. it starts to blur after that i guess.

#4 yagyu

yagyu

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

I actually have a fll sized corellian corvette toy from way back when and its really seems to fit the scale nicely for this game. I ran scenario 1 in the rule book replacing the senator ship token with the corvette and move along a normal game card picnicn table size moving it along the longest path and starting zones at the ends of the length of the table. While the ship is limited and can take up some space its actually pretty awesome during the battles, the downside is the imps afford allot more shots at it but this can be fixed by adjusting the hull or shield value.

again needless to stress how awesome this looked. I think ffg could work in a few capitol ships if they produced em as cheap as the toy companies could produce normal toy ships, i can easily understand paying 40-50 bucks for a capitol ship this size to use in a mission scenario, or like i said if thats not possible then do like i did and find a model or an old toy of a corvette. Im gonna keep on the look out now for a star destroyer, the bigger the better lol. Now we just need some kind of turret rule for the capitol ships. But im sure we can come up with something simple house rule style like can fire once per round only if one of your ships cannot fire, or assign a point value to be able to use a turret.

#5 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

The important thing to realize is that even in those video games the scale was off. I suppose they could do the scale from those games, but I don't think they will.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#6 yagyu

yagyu

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:28 PM

Here is a picture of the Corvette toy i was talkin about with my miniatures, as u can see scale may not be "perfect" but to me it seems pretty good. It definitely looks awesome and feels even cooler when playing.

#7 yagyu

yagyu

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:30 PM

Heres the side view

#8 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:49 PM

X-wing is a dog fighting game not a star navy battle game.  I would love it if FFG made a space navy battle game, but his isn't it.  I have a feeling that the Falcon, with its 360 fire arc and huge number of shields and armor is going to be as close to a capital ship as this game should go.

I get the desire to see more of what we love in the Star Wars universe.  I am even okay with some sort of terain map of a larger ship and special missions regarding them, but I would hate this awsome dogfighting game to no longer be a dogfighting game just so they could add more stuff.

Not that FFG is taking votes, but my vote is for there to be no ships larger than the Falcon in X-wing.   I would love if FFG made another miniture game with the Star Wars License that allowed for fleet engagements, but that just isn't what this game is.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#9 yagyu

yagyu

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

I agree to keep it a dog fight game but what i am using my corvette for is to replace the senator token as i mentioned earlier, few adjustments and it works awesome. what i was saying about turrets wouldnt change the fact its still a dogfight, in the movies as well as video games and novels x-wings and ties r constantly battling in the shadow of large capitol ships whos turret batteries are spewing out laser beams that may or may not hot the fighters. I think that would be a fun element to add, the capitol ship itself can be a target or a prop for scenery, but the turret mechanic would be pretty cool i think. But like i said right now my corvette replaces the senator ship for missions and it works pretty well and feels more intense and realistic then the tiny little token.

#10 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:20 PM

Again, I have this hilarious notion of a nearly 6m-long star destroyer on the table in the midst of all the other ships. 

Actually - can you imagine bringing that back from the store? Having a trailer with a Star Destroyer sitting in it, riding back through town… aw, yeah! 

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#11 Wilhuf

Wilhuf

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:39 AM

Great Corvette pics. 

Seeing that core X-wing already uses tokens to represent ships and satellites off-scale, I see no reason that off-scale capital ships couldn't also be included in the game. 

#12 lightofhand

lightofhand

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:03 AM

i do see why not if the corvette is as big in that pic but no ships any bigger. If fantasy flight games did do it  for the game i would throw my money at it. but i think they would have to be rules for Y-wing and other fighter bombers (if they every came out B-wings, tie bomber, Imperial gunship from the p.c games or other ships like that) to hurt it easier then the fighter ships. better torpeddes or something.

#13 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:26 AM

yagyu said:

Here is a picture of the Corvette toy i was talkin about with my miniatures, as u can see scale may not be "perfect" but to me it seems pretty good. It definitely looks awesome and feels even cooler when playing.

Nice pic! Looks like loads of fun! I may have to build some ships out of LEGO for this same purpose, though the flat shuttle token is nice because ships can land on it no problem so it doesn't interfere with game play.

Y'know, this picture just reinforces to me how amazingly well-done these miniatures are. Absolutely gorgeous! Can't wait for mine to arrive!

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#14 vadersson

vadersson

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:18 PM

FFG has said that they consider the Falcon and Slave I medium ships.  Also for the airplane game they did produce Blimps at one time that were huge.  I could see FFG producing a special to scale Rebel Transport (the Gallofree medium) or maybe a Corvette just to use as an objective or something.  I doubt they would do many and it would probably be $50-$100 depending on size and detail.  But since such ships can't dog fight, they would have to be like the blimps in Wings of War.

I too would like a too scale fleet game.  That would be rocking.

Thanks,

Duncan

Gold 109 (ret.)

Wesa need Gungans!

#15 Stone

Stone

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:15 PM

Actually, it seems your Corellian Corvette is only about 4" short of being true to scale.   That's good enough for me.  I had been thinking about getting a capital size ship for scenario games and ours is perfect.   I w so inspired I checked on Ebay and found one for $25 and immediately ordered it.  I plan on rewiring it with better lights and doing some airbrush painting on it to get it closer to the original movie.  

I found a listing on Board Game Geek which provides all of the Star Wars ships corresponding size as it relates to the X-Wing game.  Pretty handy.   

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/844337/list-of-common-starships-with-scale

#16 deniper

deniper

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:39 PM

been ghosting on the forum for a bit and figured i would make a account to show this off a bit.

this is a scratch build i am still putting final touches on.

Nebulon B at approximately 1/2 scale from the fighters

i would not at all recommend any vessel larger than the Neb B as a physical model. they really just get too big.

my plan is to make a Star Destroyer overhead view mat from felt.

anyway peace!

• InstantAequitas likes this

#17 deniper

deniper

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:57 PM

and a second view.

I very much have doubts about the viability of ever seeing any ships larger than the Correllian corvette

#18 yagyu

yagyu

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:03 PM

wow that is awesome, is that a model by the way? need to know so i can find it on ebay lol

#19 bsmith13

bsmith13

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:08 PM

Nice pics and great model!  It may not work well in the game, but kudos for a job well done!

#20 deniper

deniper

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:11 PM

yagyu said:

wow that is awesome, is that a model by the way? need to know so i can find it on ebay lol

i wish it was a model of some sort it would have saved me about 40 hours of building and sculpting time not to mention materials.

all hand made. from styrofoam, plastic, mat board, paper, sheet styrene, decorative tapes, and wood, as well as brass, and liquid latex…

was a big job but fun to do and pretty satisfying result

heres one more pic

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS