Question regarding specializations.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 flyndad

flyndad

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:48 PM

IF my grey wizard character were to pick over channeling as a specialization WHAT does that do for him in a game mechanic way? For that matter what do all the specializations under channeling do,.. how do they benefit the character? 

Also, how does a character gain additional specializations after creation? Are these purchased with xp points or are they "given" if the request is reasonable, follows the story, and the GM says "You have been through, and experienced enough overchanneling for the past 4 sessions, you may pick a specialization in that if you would like to."

Thanks for the help! 

#2 k7e9

k7e9

• Members
  • 843 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:42 PM

The specializations add a white die to any roll in which they are applicable. For example, a grey wizard specializing channeling on "overchanneling" would recieve a white die whenever channeling while having more power than their eqilibrium (i.e. overchanneling).

After character creation new specializations can be bought as a skill training advance, this is most often done when all skills the player wants have been trained. The other way of recieving them is when dedicating a career, then you get a free specialization in each (career) skill you trained during that career.

#3 Kilsern

Kilsern

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

Hello all,

I was rolling up an apprentice wizard this evening. I spent 3 points in skills which grants me 4 skills and 2 specializations. For three of my skills I chose advanced skills: Channeling, Spell Craft and Magical Sight. I understand that Advanced Skills when purchased grant me access to them, but does not grant a level of training; however, may I take specializations in them?

Another question, can specializations stack? For instance, in Channeling I wanted to take the specialization conservative stance. If I were to later take the specialization Chamon in the same skill and my character was channeling power for a Gold Order spell while in the conservative stance, would he gain two fortune dice?

#4 thePREdiger

thePREdiger

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

as I understand the rules:

you need to have an expertise (trained) in a particular skill before gaining a specialization.

So you could go:

free - Channeling

free - Spellcraft

1 skill (creation) - train Channeling
1 skill (creation) - train Spellcraft

1 specialization (creation) - specialize Chaneling

1 specialization (creation) - specialize Spellcraft

leaving you 2 skill points from character creation

=========

imo, if both specializations apply, then 2 white die will be added (at least at my table)

#5 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:52 AM

k7e9 is correct for the original question.

The later question, thePREdiger is correct:

- You may only take specializations in skills that you have Trained at least once.

- Yes, if the conditions for both specializations apply, then the bonus fortune die for each specialization will both apply.

#6 Kilsern

Kilsern

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

Thank you, I did not realize until after the fact that channeling and spell craft are considered basic skills for wizard apprentice.

#7 thePREdiger

thePREdiger

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

they are still advanced skills but if you chose to be an appr.wiz at creation you will get t hem for free (written somewhere NOT at the char creation section) ;)

if u chose to switch into a wizard carreer later on from, eg. mercenary, you do not get those skills for free and need to buy them as usual.

#8 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

thePREdiger said:

they are still advanced skills but if you chose to be an appr.wiz at creation you will get t hem for free (written somewhere NOT at the char creation section) ;)

if u chose to switch into a wizard carreer later on from, eg. mercenary, you do not get those skills for free and need to buy them as usual.

Correct.  The ONLY skills that are "basic skills" are those originally printed on the character sheets. All other skills are advanced skills. They may or may not be learned at character creation (or through play), depending on career.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS