• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:21 PM

Hello fellow Talismaniacs! ;)

I thought it was about time to share some game-experience.

Today we started a little tournament of Talisman. We will first play all the characters of the game once. The winners advance and the losers are out. The winners will advance to the tier 2 matches and so forth until only one stand victorious.

This evening we started out with a four player game. The characters where no other than the Dreadknight, the Gypsy, the Conjurer and the Cleric.

We played with all the small-box expansions but none of the big ones. Thus we used the day/night rules as well as the Wherewolf and the Reaper NPC:s. None of the extra regions was used, nor did we use the Dragon… For endgame we draw one hidden ending.

The guy who played the Cleric joined us a bit later in the game, but as neither of us other three had gained any strenght/craft tokens as of yet, and only found some items of lesser value, we thought it was ok for him to join in.

I was playing the Conjurer and dreaded the Gypsy with her ability to parasite on my used spells from the get go.

The game really dragged in the beginning as we had some trouble to draw and kill enemies. Things didn't improve when the Gypsy player draw the Restless Dead event and all our trophies whent back in play once more.

The Dreadknight player also from the very start lost her warhorse to the Gypsy, as the guy playing her was casting the Mesmerise-spell.

Well, the Dreadknight actually lost the horse a handfull of time over the game. Just running around the Graveyard most of the time to get a new one… I find this a big weakness with the character. You often lose the horse early in the game and without it the character is really weak…

The guy playing the Cleric was really unlucky with almost every roll and just drew crap from the adventure deck.

Thus the game was more or less centered around the real power players, the Conjurer and the Gypsy.

There where not many great cards to use my conjur-ability on. Well at the end I used it to summon the Magic stream. Succesfully drinking 3 strenght tokens from it. But not long after that the Gypsy cast Random on my Conjurer, making her roll bad on the chart without fate to spend for rerolls. Guess what? I was down to my starting 2 strenght from my previous 10, thus ruining my plan to go for the Inner Region.

At the end the Gypsy won the game by drawing the Battle Royale-ending. As the only character except the Gypsy carrying a Talisman was the Dreadknight, but he had been turned to a toad the round before the Gypse reached the Crown-space, nobody could challange the Gypse and she won.

Well that's the first fight.

Winner: Gypsy

Losers: Cleric, Conjurer, Dreadknight

To be continue…

#2 Draii

Draii

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:54 AM

Very nice idea. And a fun read.

Keep 'em comming =)

How do you decide which characters who should meet which characters? Random or some kind of plan?

#3 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:54 AM

Thanks mate!

This time we shuffled the character cards and drew 6 cards which we placed on the table in front of everyone. Then we each rolled a die which decided who was gonna chose a character first. We decided to go with 2 characters per player so you could have a stand in if the first character was killed. Fortunate this didn't happen this round…

Notice that the 4:th player hadn't arrived at this time, else we would have drawn 8 characters to chose from. When he arrived he just got the top two cards from the character carddeck to chose his starter character from.

Bonus trivia: The replacement characters who where drawn was the Thief, the Elf and the Fire Wizard. As neither one of those where played they are still in the game and will be shuffled back into the character deck.

#4 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:04 PM

Game number 2:

This time Talisman shows it's real face and proves that it's all about randomness…

We started out as two players (when we didn't have the patience to wait for our third player), and played about 20 turns before my neighbor showed up and owned us big time :P

Characters: Elf, Swashbuckler, Fire Wizard.

I drew the Swashbuckler and my friend played the Elf. Later on the Fire Wizard joined in.

It started out very nicely for the Elf as he went evil and got the Homunculus, the Runesword and the Dark Theurgist. My Swashbuckler was about to die early as he encountered the Night Stalker as well as a Glory Seeker on a field space. As my opponent played the spell Solstice Ritual and changed the timecard from day to night and I lost the battle, the Night Stalker became my follower and killed one life out of me each following turn. I think I lost about six lifes on that (fortunate for me I had the Self Portrait object card), before day broke and left me with only one life left :P

Around that time my neighbor joined in with the Fire Wizard. For a start he collected all of the Elf's "no good character-cards" as the Elf went back to his old good self after a visit to the mystic.

After that I had a luck streak with my Swashbuckler as I healed all my lifes lost in the chapel and collected some really good things. The warhorse, the Unicorn and the Sword of Truth for example. But all good things had to come to an end as I encountered the Transmutor and became a toad…

The Fire Wizard was not late to use my misery for his advantage as he collected the things I dropped while turning into a slimy little toad, thus giving him the largest advantage in the game so far. That vulture of a man!

When I finally became my old self again I tried to make a run for the Crown, seeing that as my only option at the time. With a strenght of 8 as well as the Shovel and a newly gained Talisman I thought I could have a decent chance. Just hoping for a favourable hidden ending…

It turned out I was not that fortunate as I drew the Dragon King. With my strenght of only 8 this was a hard fight indeed. I was fortunate enough to take at least two lifes of his five before some rolls lead to the Dragon Kings demise by the hand of the Fire Wizard instead. Lucky son of a….

Winner: Fire Wizard

Losers: Elf, Swashbuckler

…and yes, the same guy won this time around as he did yesterday with the Gypsy. Next time! Next time…

#5 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:18 AM

Game number 3:

Characters: Assassin, Warlock, Dark Cultist, Knight

This one looked out to be the battle of the giants. Three very powerful characters started out, the Assassin, the Dark Cultist and the Warlock.

Despite her fearful reputation, the Dark Cultist played poorly, just managed to kill a boar on the board and getting her butt kicked by stronger foes. She finally dies and the Knight comes in to the game as a replacement.

This game was more about the epic showdown between the Assassin and the Warlock. The Warlock spellcycled like crazy as the Assassin was going around backstabbing enemies on the board and collecting trophies. 

Finally they met at the Temple. The Assassin was going to assassinate the Warlock thus completing his quest "Take a life from another character". Well, the Warlock was not utterly defenseless as he cast the horrifying spell known as Toadify. The Assassin turned into a toad and got his slimy butt kicked by the Warlock.

Not many turns later the Warlock returns to the Temple and collects, sorry, loots the Assassins dropped belongings. After that the Warlock is to powerful to be challanged by any other player and he goes for the win. At the Crown of Command he draws Judgement Day, rolling a 1, discard the ending and encounters the Crown space normally, which means casting the Command spell. 

Not many turns later the Assassin and the Knight is history…

Winner: Warlock

Losers: Assassin, Dark Cultist, Knight

#6 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:13 AM

Game number 4:

Characters: Amazon, Ogre Chieftain, Prophetess

This one game was one of the worst luck-based wins I have ever seen.

Very early on the Prophetess finnished a warlock quest and was therefore teleported into the middle region. Next turn she landed on the temple and the turn after that she cast the Haunting Poltergeist-spell (not sure about the name on that spell, it's something similar atleast), on herself. This basically gives you the same movement debuff as the Poltergeist follower, just letting you move one space per turn until you cross the river. After that she started to spam the Temple, moving back and forth between the Temple space and the Woods space just rolling benefits on the Temple-chart…

Meanwhile in the Outer-region the Amazon and the Ogre was trying to make the best of the peculiar situation. No one of the two had any greater luck and the Ogre soon died by a visitation by the Grim Reaper. At this time the Prophetess had drawn a Magic Portal on the woods-space (the one where you add your craft to the roll and if you roll 8+ you can go anywhere listed on the card), therefor going to the Temple space each turn(!!!). The Ogre-player (me), felt it useless to draw another replacement character at that time as the Prophetess was to powerfull to be challanged by a rookie.

Well as I predicted the Prophetess was going for the Portal of Power some turns later.

She draw the Hand of Doom and rolled a 6, and won.

Winner: Prophetess

Losers: Amazon, Ogre Chieftain

#7 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:42 AM

Game number 5:

Characters: Minotaur, Druid

Unfortunately we were only two players this time around.

Nothing really interesting happened really. Just an average game of Talisman.

The Druid got hold of a smaller army of Followers, as well as around 12-14 objects that he forced his Horse and cart and Mule to carry around for him. The Fortuneteller also came in handy as she made him look at the topcard of the adventuredeck each turn, making him far more likely to turn away from disaster.

Well, how do he repay her service? By offering her to the vampires in their tower for food offcourse ;)

The Minotaur didn't do any real noteworthy this game. Just shambling around, drawing alot of cards he could't reap the fruits out off…

The Druid beat him to the Crown and defeated the Bloodmoon Wherewolf that awaited him there.

Winner: Druid

Loser: Minotaur

#8 Draii

Draii

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:50 AM

Am I the only one who enjoy this thread?
Guess I like "elimination-games" =)
You should have the rooster at the bottom, with defeated, surviving and comming characters =)
Then we can start betting =D

#9 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:10 AM

There are currently 262 views of this thread, so I think not. I enjoy reading reports, but don't feel the need to comment always.

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#10 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:25 AM

Nice to hear that people reads the thread.

Here's a little sum-up:

Winners: Gypsy, Fire Wizard, Warlock, Prophetess, Druid

Losers: Cleric, Conjurer, Dreadknight, Elf, Swashbuckler, Assassin, Dark Cultist, Knight, Amazon, Ogre Chieftain, Minotaur

16 characters have been played thus far. 30 left to go.

Interesting to see that the winners thus far are all spellcasters.

#11 zealot12

zealot12

• Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:31 AM

Spell-cycling casters are pretty much the best. Plus, the ones who have won in your games  are the most powerful among them.

Eliminators are fun. We should attempt some ourselves.

#12 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:34 PM

Sorry, we havn't played Talisman in a while. But this time we had a blast!

Game number 6:

Characters: Wizard, Sprite, Sorceress, Grave Robber

We started out with Wizard, Sprite and Sorceress. We played with the Dungeon as an extra board.

I thought this fight was another spellcyckling event. But it turned out to be something else.

I played the Wizard and had a good start. I really gained a lot of craft at the beginning and looked at my competition as weak as the Sorceress had very bad luck in the beginning and lost lives upon lives, and the Sprite turned into a toad turn after turn. 

The Sorceress entered the Dungeon very beaten, and the last nail in her coffin turned out to be when she took to the Secret Passage and ended up in the Treasure Rooom, and was forced to fight the Lord of Darkness with only a craft of 6 or 7…  She died and the player redraw the Grave Robber.

The funny thing was that there was this item circulating, yes circulating as I stole it with the aquisition-spell from the Sorceress to begin with, then the Grave Robber stole it back because the effect of a adventurecard. The object in question was the Crown of the Pharao (or something simular). It gave you the choice to let creatures re-roll their attack-roll. It really come in handy. I think it was the first time I saw this very item in play. As you can make out it is a very powerful item.

So, suddenly the newly drawn Grave Robber had almost taken up the lead from nowhere. Beginning the challange my Wizard.

At this time the Sprite was almost counted out as she had turned into a toad 3 times (!)

Suddenly the Grave Robber got a Talisman and was heading for the inner region.

The ironical part is that my Wizard had 9 craft and Solomons Crown before he even came into play. I think I just f***ed up my thinking. I could have gone into the inner region sooner but was messing around in the dungeon instead.

Well, it ended with the Grave Robber at the Crown where he met the Blood Moon Wherewolf, beating him as he was no lycan…

Winner: Grave Robber

Losers: Wizard, Sprite, Sorceress

A funny thing is that the player who played the Grave Robber has won 4 out of 6 games, and the other 2 games that player havn't been participating in. Does this tell us something? ;)

#13 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,285 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

Nidhögg said:

A funny thing is that the player who played the Grave Robber has won 4 out of 6 games, and the other 2 games that player havn't been participating in. Does this tell us something? ;)

That despite all the bitching non-Talisman players generally give the game about "it's a roll and move, all luck", skills matter too .

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#14 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:01 PM

Dam said:

Nidhögg said:

That despite all the bitching non-Talisman players generally give the game about "it's a roll and move, all luck", skills matter too .

Hahaha. Yeah, elite skillz…

#15 Johonasen

Johonasen

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:31 PM

This tournament is great.  I can't wait to try it with my group.

#16 Tiggurix

Tiggurix

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:20 AM

Nidhögg said:

Well, the Dreadknight actually lost the horse a handfull of time over the game. Just running around the Graveyard most of the time to get a new one… I find this a big weakness with the character. You often lose the horse early in the game and without it the character is really weak…

I agree. The Dreadknight is a pretty weak character overall. I would describe him as, more or less, a weaker, evil version of the Monk. The Monk is stronger because: (A) The Monk's inner belief is a much more reliable ability than the Dreadknight's Warhorse, for the reasons Nidhogg describes, and (B) he starts with an enormous amount of Fate, in comparison to the Dreadknight's single, measly Fate point (though the Dreadknight can replenish it more easily, at least in the beginning).

But in any case, this sounds pretty interesting! In think the concept of a Taliman tournament is a little bit strange, seeing as it is such a luck-dependent game, but it will be interesting to see how it plays out, in any case.

#17 darthmax

darthmax

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:44 AM

I disagree,, I think the Dreadknight's ability to gain spells is awesome and he has had strong showings so far. Of course no one competes with the Philosopher hahahahaha

#18 zealot12

zealot12

• Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:41 AM

No one ever talks about the Ghoul. A very good character,imo. The ability to gain additional lives from psychic combat PVP is great. Another point of Strength would have made the Resurrection ability stronger, but once he raises a moderately strong Enemy, he can use it in a critical Battle to push further.

Of course,there are better Follower-claiming characters than him, but being one of the original Talismangers has its charm,

In our games, he is almost always in the lead, regardless of the opponent. Maybe it's just luck, maybe it isn't, but anyway, he is one of my favorite characters.

The Magus is a strange duck, I'd say.Sure, spell-cycling is always a fine skill to have but  why not empower him with   psychic combat PVP to play off his Followers/Craft ability? The way it's worded I would assume that he would be able to intitiate  psychic combat with another character, but nope.

#19 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:39 AM

Hi guys. Sorry I havn't been updating this thread in a while. But no new games have been played :(

Maybee we will be playing some game now around the holidays…

darthmax: I think the Dreadknight can be very powerful if your lucky enough to keep your warhorse in the beginning and gain some additional craft for your spellcycling. Unfortunately that rarely happens in our games. I think he would be a better character if he started with 4 craft instead of 3…

zealot12: The Ghoul is another one that never shines in our games. Only one time can I recall winning with him playing 4:th edition. That was one time battling another character on the CoC-space. Offcourse winning because of the life-leeching ability :)

I think the Magus is ok. If he gets some followers he can easily try to beat the bosses in Highland or Dungeon and get some nice rewards.

But we will see what's going to happen this tournament. The Magus and the Ghoul are yet still up for the title fight if I recall correct. And anything can happen ;) 

#20 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:21 AM

Hello folks!

I am eagerly awaiting the City-expansion witch will arrive any time now. When I have it I'm thinking about start up this tournament again. If I'm lucky, maybe this will happen already in the comming weekend. Hold your thumbs! :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS