Security Subcontract x2

Operations

Shipment from Kaguya x3

Aggressive Negotiation x3

Scorched Earth x3

Closed Accounts x3 (3 Influence)

Ways to win:

Set up the Junebug bomb.

Pop bounty with 2 scorched earths in hand.

Don't expect to be able to ring up 7 points as Bounties tend to pop for tags and Takeovers feed the archers.

#2 Silent Requiem

Silent Requiem

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:07 PM

I'm working on something similar, but I've taken a very different direction.

49 cards, 15 influence used.

Agendas (20 points):

3 Hostile Takeover

2 Posted Bounty

3 Private Security Force

3 Priority Requisition

I could have added a third Posted Bounty, but I'd rather play the minimum number of Agendas.

ICE:

2 Archer

2 Hadrian's Wall

3 Data Raven (6 influence)

3 Shadow

3 Enigma

3 Ice Wall

3 Wall of Static

Assets:

3 PAD Campaign

Unlike you, I run very few assets. As a general rule, I only have one remote server in this deck that has any ICE, and that server is used exclusively for Agendas. It may not be tricky, but I don't want to be running a deck that requires me to fool my opponent to win. On the other hand, my deck is quite happy win through agendas if the Runner is too cautious.

Operations:

3 Scorched Earth

3 Archived Memories (6 influence)

3 Anonymous Tip (3 influence)

3 Beanstalk Royalties

3 Hedge Fund

This is where my deck differs from yours significantly, as I lean far more heavily on my Operations than you. Anonymous Tip allows me to dig through my deck to put together the combo. Archived Memories functions either as part of the combo, or to recur my other Operations. Hedge Fund and Beanstalk Royalties supply the funds I need without being vulnerable to runs, and can be reused with Archived Memories.

As I mentioned above, I generally only have one protected remote server - if the Runner want's to hit PAD Campaign that's fine with me. I try to stack my really mean ICE on my remote server, keep my hand clear of stuff that can be trashed, and put my taxing, tracing ICE on R&D, effectively forcing the Runner to charge up Data Raven so I can tag them at will. Meanwhile, I generally play fairly slowly, building up cash and keeping my hand clear of agendas. I'll either win through agendas, then, or I'll draw into Scorched Earth and just end the game.

I played around with Snare, as I was inviting the Runner to hit my HQ and R&D anyway, but it seemed a little hit and miss, without actually ensuring the tag would stick around until my own turn. I also found that Archived Memories was simply a better fit with my Operations heavy build. I'm hoping that the expansion offers some more Operations (particularly transactions), as I far prefer them to assets.

#3 Datamancer

Datamancer

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:52 AM

I like your take on Weyland. I tend to have between 3-4 lightly guarded remote servers, and then wall up in front of HQ and R&D 3-4 deep, preferring to do things like
(r00t) <- Hadrian's Wall <- Ichi 1.0/Archer <- Chum <- Shadow/Ice Wall

One weakness I've already noted in play is that a sufficiently suicidal runner can crash through many of my ICE simply by lumping the damage. However, I don't want to shift to Enigma and Static because Anarch's icebreakers essentially haterwalk through them. I want a better answer, and for now my answer is Junebug. As expansions come out, I will probably evolve towards your "One True Basket" style of defense.

A note about operations vs assets - I'm currently not convinced that the 1-2 click advantage that most of the operations give are worth the seat on the bus. It is true that they are reliable profits, which PAD Campaign and Security Contract are certainly not, but PAD Campaign and Security Contract aid in my shell game against the Runner as well as represent long-term click advantage. If the runner decides to spend some of their precious time and credits slagging a PAD Campaign, as you said, good for them, and I get the chance to put down Junebugs or more PADs into the empty server.

#4 Metropolis Games

Metropolis Games

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:21 AM

I'd endorse the bought in Data Ravens if you are looking for Tags. I've also been experimenting with Ghost Branch instead of (or as well as) Junebug.

How have the decks fared in the field?

#5 Silent Requiem

Silent Requiem

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:03 AM

I've been winning consistently, but with everyone around me so new to playing, I'm not sure you can take too much away from that.

I've switched things up a little, largely because I felt I was letting Runners score too much by letting them run on R&D so easily. I also felt that the deck was too passive, requiring the Runner to make a mistake and get himself tagged before I could combo out.

49 cards, 15 influence used.

Agendas (20 points):

3 Hostile Takeover

2 Posted Bounty

3 Private Security Force

3 Priority Requisition

No changes here.

ICE:

2 Archer

2 Hadrian's Wall

3 Shadow

3 Enigma

3 Ice Wall

3 Wall of Static

That's only 16 pieces of ICE. I'd add more, but there is nothing more I CAN add without spending influence (beyond Hunter, which sucks). However, as I'm generally only protecting two servers, it seems to be working alright.

Assets:

3 PAD Campaign

2-3 flex slots

I'm messing about with a few other assets right now, but will probably drop them once I can get more ICE/Operations from Genesis.

Operations:

3 Scorched Earth

3 Precognition (9 influence)

3 Beanstalk Royalties

3 Hedge Fund

3 SEA Source

This is where the big changes are.

I found that Anonymous Tip was not pulling it's weight. In fact, I'd often find myself drawing into more than one agenda, but my deck is set up to deal with only one agenda at a time, which left me vulnerable. Precognition has been much better, and is worth every point of influence. I LOVE drawing it in my starting hand. Or at any other time, frankly.

SEA Source is what gives me the ability to just win out of nowhere. As long as I have more 8 more creds than the Runner, I'm going to win if I have the combo in hand. Three may not be the right number, but I still need to find the damn thing.

Archived Memories is a casualty of including SEA Source. AM plus Precognition is pretty much my ideal use of influence, but until Wayland gets an in-corp Operation to tag the Runner, AM has to go. I miss it greatly - it has so many amazing synergies.

#6 defcon_i

defcon_i

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:43 PM

So personally I decided to mainly focus on trying to make Weyland work, with some resources from NBN and Jinteki. My main concern was making the most out of aggressive negotiations. Sadly, I only have the one core set, so I currently don't have the cards to make this deck even more awesome. Hence why I wanted to draw cards and use the limited tutor.

49 Cards, 15 Influence

Agendas (20 points)

Private Security Force x3

Priority Requisition x3

Hostile Takeover x3

Posted Bounty x2

ICE

Hunter x2

Hadrian's Wall x2

Ice Wall x3

Archer x2

Shadow x3

Chum x2 (2 influence)

Matrix Analyzer x2 (4 influence)

Assets

Security Subcontract x1

Ghost Branch x3 (3 Influence)  - Note: Thinking about whether I want these or Project Junebugs.

Zaibatsu Loyalty x1 (1 Influence) - Really for kicks, can tutor it, and play some mind games.

Operations

Hedge Fund x3

Shipment From Kaguya x2

Aggressive Negotiations x2

Scorched Earth x2

Beanstalk Royalties x3

Anonymous Tip x2 (2 Influence)

Upgrades

Research Station x2

SanSan City Grid x1 (3 Influence) - again, hopefully I can tutor for this card if needed.

Depending on how it all plays out, I may just gutting it and putting all the necessary cards into a Jinteki deck, and go from there. Obviously it will change if/when I get a second core set. Woe is the student life.

#7 prune

prune

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:55 AM

Here's what I've arrived on, after tinkering a little bit.  Different from the previous deck, this one doesn't do much with traps, and is mostly focused around using ice to give tags to set up Scorched Earth.  This is built out of 1 core set, so I think the Archived Memories are absolutely essential to making the flatline strategy more reliable.  If I crack open another core set, I'm sure I'll put in another Scorched Earth (probably replacing an Aggressive Negotiation).  Might swap one Hostile Takeover to add one more Posted Bounty.

I think Anonymous Tip would work well for Weyland to get more from its special; I could drop the Ghost Branch for it, but I hate the idea of having zero traps.

I haven't played this version yet, but I think it's likely to run just 2 remote servers.  When defenses are strong, a good thing to do with Posted Bounty or Hostile Takeover is to complete them but not score them on your turn.  Then score them at the start of the next turn to take advantage of the tag with a full turn of actions, or just to give the runner one less turn of Bad Publicity credits.

Agendas (11)
Hostile Takeover X3
Posted Bounty X2
Priority Requisition X3
Private Security Force X3

Assets (4) (this part feels thin to me, there's not much long-term credit generation here)
Melange Mining Corp X1
Pad Campaign X2
Ghost Branch X1 (1 influence)

Ice (20)
Archer X1
Hadrian's Wall X1
Ice Wall X3
Shadow X2
Enigma X3
Hunter X2
Wall of Static X3
Data Raven X3 (6 influence)
Ichi 1.0 X2 (4 influence)

Operation (14)
Aggressive Negotiation X2 (given the large number of small agendas, this works well for Weyland)
Beanstalk Royalties X3
Scorched Earth X2
Shipment from Kaguya X2
Hedge Fund X3
Archived Memories X2 (4 influence)

(BTW, a tip for posting deck lists - Shift+Enter will give a line break (no extra whitespace) while Enter gives a paragraph (extra line of white space).  Using Shift+Enter makes for more readable deck lists)

#8 Ariston

Ariston

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:11 PM

I actually like this deck archetype better with only 45 cards; you want to accelerate getting the tags and finding the 2x Scorched Earth; you take some risk on getting the agendas eaten, but you're helped along by being able to pile up on core servers if necessary.

#9 SiCK_Boy

SiCK_Boy

• Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:09 AM

Any reason why all these decklists are 49 cards? Why not stick to the minimum 45 instead?

(Not really a comment on the card choice itself; I just built my first Weyland deck but haven't tested it yet; but I did force myself to stick to 45… is it a mistake?)

#10 KhalBrogo

KhalBrogo

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:25 AM

SiCK_Boy said:

Any reason why all these decklists are 49 cards? Why not stick to the minimum 45 instead?

(Not really a comment on the card choice itself; I just built my first Weyland deck but haven't tested it yet; but I did force myself to stick to 45… is it a mistake?)

Going from 45 to 49 cards doesn't increase your required agenda points. Thus many corp decks will go to 49 to further dilute their agenda card count and often increase their ice to agenda ratio. However, I don't like going to 49 in Tag N Bag decks because it's that much harder to pull off the combo.

#11 SiCK_Boy

SiCK_Boy

• Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:51 AM

Interesting take on it (wanting to actually reduce your chance of drawing certain cards)… runs contrary to all the card game skills I ever learned, but it'll deserve consideration for sure…

I assume this only works in a Corp deck where your aim is to clearly NOT win by scoring agendas?

#12 Smilingknight

Smilingknight

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:27 PM

It works in all corps decks when you consider that you might not be the one drawing that agenda card off your deck. So if you can up your ice percentage, you have a better chance of protecting r&d so the runner isn't walking off with your points

#13 KhalBrogo

KhalBrogo

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:33 PM

SiCK_Boy said:

Interesting take on it (wanting to actually reduce your chance of drawing certain cards)… runs contrary to all the card game skills I ever learned, but it'll deserve consideration for sure…

I assume this only works in a Corp deck where your aim is to clearly NOT win by scoring agendas?

Usually you don't to draw less agendas and more ice even if you're trying to win by scoring agendas. diluting your deck by 4 additional ice makes it less likely that you'll flood your hand with agendas without sufficient ice protecting them in your hand or remote server etc.

Generally the more agendas the corp draws early in the game the more likely they are to lose.

#14 Silent Requiem

Silent Requiem

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:29 PM

I'm really getting tired of how messed up these boards are. They either eat my posts, or reformat them into unreadability. I don't think I can even delete a post and try again.

My current list is quite similar what you are playing.

Total Cards: (49)
Agenda (11)
Hostile Takeover x3
Posted Bounty x2
Private Security Force x3
Priority Requisition x3

Asset (3)
PAD Campaign x3

ICE (20)
Shadow x2 (not a fan of this, might even change to Hunter because it works very good with Chum)
Archer x2
Ice Wall x3
Chum x3
Rototurret x2
Enigma x3
Wall of Static x3
Ichi 1.0 x2

Operation (13)
Aggressive Negotiation x2
Scorched Earth x3
Beanstalk Royalties x3
Hedge Fund x3
SEA Source x2

Upgrade (2)
Corporate Troubleshooter x2

I usually want to score Hostile Takeover very early so I can play Archer. Archer and Ichi and Rototurret has a very important role in this deck to destroy programs. Corporate Troubleshooter makes sure I succeed to destroy important program or Chum damage lands if that is important. Also Corporate Troubleshooter can defend for a turn important server with Posted Bounty. I want to stall the runner by destroying his icebreakers so I have more time to find my killing cards or score agendas if he is too weak.

This deck could use more tracing methods.

This is a quote from Surreal in another thread, but I thought it was important enough to repeat here, as I suspect that this thread is going to form the main resource for this particular deck type.

Now, I've been playing with that list, and I really like it. Corporate Troubleshooter really helps in the late-game, where you are trying to put away that final agenda in the face of a runner with a full rig. The program destruction ICE also functions as a pseudo trap, and combos well with Corp Troubleshooter.
However, there are a few things I don't like about this build. Some of those things are unavoidable, as the card pool is so small at this time. However, here are the issues I have.

1) ICE. I've got 20 pieces of ICE, but only 13 of them actually end the run. This makes setting up that initial defence of HQ and R&D somewhat more problematic, especially when you consider that we run more agendas than most corps (cards, not points). Our ICE is often fairly expensive for what it does, too.

The two worst pieces, in my view, are Shadow (which the runner can practically ignore once they have a breaker out) and Ichi 1.0 (which costs two influence despite not ending the run, and being easily broken by smart runners). I've switched Shadow out for Hunter (Chum + Hunter = <3 ), and I'm considering replacing Ichi with Data Raven. DR effectively does end the run in the early game, costs less, and demands a breaker in the late game.

2) Agendas. We run more agendas than other corps, and frankly wouldn't mind squeezing in a third Posted Bounty. My hope is that they print a three point Weyland agenda in the first expansion, which would let us rip out 2 Private Security Force and replace it with 1 new agenda and a posted Bounty.

3) Dead cards. There are a lot of dead cards in this deck that do nothing if not comboing out. I'm coming around to Aggressive Negotiations (it can fetch Archer off Hostile Takeover, and other fun stuff), and Scorched Earth is a necessary evil. However, SEA Source is a real pain. While I do want to have something that can simply tag the runner on my turn, it's a wasted draw if I a) don't have two Scorched Earth, b) the Runner has Decoy or Crash Space in play, or c) does not have less than 5 fewer credits than I do. Seeing two of these is a nightmare. I'm very tempted to drop down to one SEA Source, and use the additional influence for an Archived Memories, or the like.

#15 Branedead

Branedead

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

I think the "trap" game is the only real way to tag-n-bag. Ghost branch AND Junebug are absolutely essential feints. I tend to only have a single remote server and I play my agendas and traps exactly the same. Never put a trap in if you don't have enough credits to rez ICE or if you couldn't afford to advance it next turn anyway. Pretend as if any trap you place in a remote server is an agenda with 4 advancement requirements. If you ever go a turn without advancing it, you may as well trash it as the ruse is up. 

Data ravens give guaranteed tags, so pile them deep on your remote server. Place something especially nasty as the first ice, such as Archer and wait for the right moment to rez it. This strategy requires that you'll likely have an agenda or two sitting in HQ while you run the traps, so you need HEAVY ICE on HQ. I tend to ICE central servers based upon who I'm facing, but generally always HQ more than the other two. 

The name of tag-n-bag is to either tag the runner out of turn or tag them so heavily they can't get rid of them all. I personally like to do both (ghost branch, data ravens, etc). Another fun combo with Weyland is to put matrix analyzers in front of an experiential wall. Every time the runner hits the analyzer, your wall gets an advancement token.

#16 bhosp

bhosp

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:42 AM

Is Matrix Analyzer worth it in a deck like this? It seems like a neat ability put in front of an advanceable ICE mid-to-late game.

EDIT: Whoops someone already said it. Derp I can't read.

#17 pastah_rhymez

pastah_rhymez

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

I have quite a different take on this than you fellas.

45 cards. The idea being that you should draw what you need, when you need it.

• 3 Priority Requisition
  • 3 Private Security Force
  • 3 Posted Bounty
  • 2 Hostile Takeover

• 3 Melange Mining Corp.
  • 3 Snare!

• 2 Hunter
  • 3 Enigma
  • 3 Ice Wall
  • 2 Shadow
  • 3 Archer
  • 3 Wall of Thorns

• 2 Beanstalk Royalties
  • 3 Hedge Fund
  • 3 Scorched Earth
  • 2 Anonymous Tip
  • 2 SEA Source

With this deck you shouldn't be scared to draw cards. Dumping agendas in archives isn't as scary as you might think either. The hands down best card that makes this work is Snare!. NEVER place Snare! in a remote server. Always let the runner grab in from your hand. Your MMCs will ensure that you can afford it. MMC also ensures that you win most of the money-races. Agenda victories are quite easy to achieve too, seing how scared of tags the runners are. Might exchange those two Beanstalk Royalties nd something else to fit in a third Anonymous Tip.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS