Collisions (I know. 3D space)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Urlock Gaur

Urlock Gaur

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:17 AM

So, we've played a few games and the only problem that I have with it so far is that the higher rated pilots tend to overlap bases or "collide" more often.  I believe that this is because they are moving after the lower value pilots but are still trying to guess what the crappy pilot is trying to do.  I wonder if the game would be better if you were able to set your maneuver dial only when the activation number gets to you.  In other words, Pilot A with Pilot skill 3 sets his dial then moves and does his action.  The better pilot, Pilot B, has a Pilot skill of 9 and then sets his dial then moves and does his action.  He should be good enough to react to the actions of his opponent, including change of speed and direction.  I see no other way to tail someone.  I used to play the old X-Wing games on my PC.  I didn't go off in some random direction every so often, because I could see the movements of my target and would adjust my course and speed to follow.  I don't feel that this would slow the game down either.  Any thoughts?

#2 Flynnard

Flynnard

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:37 AM

I think a good house rule is you set it 2 before you go for example a 6 pilot would set it during the 4 pilots movement.

#3 drkjedi35

drkjedi35

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:52 AM

It can be frustrating, but that's where the dogfighting strategy comes in. As you gain experience, you'll learn how to separate the group so collisions don't happen as much.  I kills me how people are already talking about house rules when they haven't played the game much if at all.  Play the game the way it was created and try to figure out how to deal with those issues before giving up and creating a house rule.  That's the only way you become a better player and start winning tournaments.  I'm not trying to start arguments here.  Its just a pet peeve of mine. Sorry.

Roy

#4 supremespleen

supremespleen

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:22 AM

drkjedi35 said:

It can be frustrating, but that's where the dogfighting strategy comes in. As you gain experience, you'll learn how to separate the group so collisions don't happen as much.  I kills me how people are already talking about house rules when they haven't played the game much if at all.  Play the game the way it was created and try to figure out how to deal with those issues before giving up and creating a house rule.  That's the only way you become a better player and start winning tournaments.  I'm not trying to start arguments here.  Its just a pet peeve of mine. Sorry.

Roy

I agree.

Half the fun is learning to "fly" well - my favorite part about playing Wings of War was chaining a series of well thought out of movement cards to pilot my plane.

#5 DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:00 AM

i fully expect to be slamming into things the first few games.  Tis just the way of these sorts of games.  Play and learn by the rules as written a dozen times then post your observations.

-DavicusPrime

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS