Dic app Useless? What am I missing?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Holy Terror

Holy Terror

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

Without being able to change manually the dice faceing this app is pretty pointless for X-wing.  Am I missing something?

#2 gribble

gribble

• Members
  • 411 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:00 PM

Yeah, I had the same thought. I guess you can just "remove" a dice and pick a symbol to add to the results, but it would really be better if you could pick a result for a dice as well.

Star Wars Edge of the Empire (Beta test) resources

Reference Sheets | Combat Reference Sheet | Critical Cards | Talent Tree Reference

#3 herozeromes

herozeromes

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:58 AM

Yeah, I am going to try to find a way to give feedback on this. That is the best way to get action. Everyone contact them and let them know this would be a nice feature in a future update.

EDIT: I emailed them the following (I will post their reply once I get one):

The Star Wars Dice app needs to have the ability to change individual die faces by selection. When playing X-Wing, some tokens allow you to change what was rolled from Focus to either a Hit or Evade icon. Without this functionality, there is no reason to get this app. I purchased it just assuming something so obvious would be included, so I hope they update it to include this feature.

#4 Holy Terror

Holy Terror

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:22 AM

I sent something similar.  It really was misleading in the app description.

#5 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 712 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:46 AM

I have not found the need to physically rotate dice to different facings when playing this game.  So while it should be a feature added to the app, it in no possible way makes the app useless.  You are overreacting a bit.

#6 Holy Terror

Holy Terror

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:23 AM

You've never found a reason to change tha facings? How about all the times you're told to change the facings?

#7 DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:34 AM

Plus you totally miss out on the dice rolling across the table and knocking over the miniatures.  Hard to simulate that effect in an app.

Seriously, the fact that about half of the dice rolling process is converting facings should have driven the app to include that functionality.  Perhaps a set of toggle buttons that allows you to apply the various actions to the results of the latest roll.  Or a way to pick specific dice and choose a result and/or reroll (marking it as having been changed or rerolled and it's original result) after the initial roll. 

True this would greatly complicate the app, but would better simulate the way dice are meant to be used in this game.

-DavicusPrime

#8 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 712 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:53 AM

Holy Terror said:

You've never found a reason to change tha facings? How about all the times you're told to change the facings?

You roll the dice see two hits and an eye ball, you have a focus token.  You say you are discarding the token, do you really need to rotate the dice to a hit or is everyone playing the game capable of understanding the eye ball is now  a hit?

Any adult should not need to have the dice physically rotated in order to keep track of the whooping 4 dice that get rolled in this game.  I'm just being honest here.  Yes the app should have that feature, no the app is not useless even without it.

#9 DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:45 AM

ScottieATF said:

Holy Terror said:

…Yes the app should have that feature, no the app is not useless even without it.

Agree with both points.

-DavicusPrime

#10 herozeromes

herozeromes

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:01 AM

DavicusPrime said:

ScottieATF said:

Holy Terror said:

…Yes the app should have that feature, no the app is not useless even without it.

Agree with both points.

-DavicusPrime

Yes, but I canceled my Dice Expansion off of my pre-ordered so it would be held up at Miniature Market and bought the App to play this game instead. Moving the dice is just an easy way to keep track. For instance, you say I'm going to use my focus on this action and then you get interrupted. You come back to the game and you now forget if you did that or not or whether you had a token or not. So, if you didn't move the die, you may miss a point. The thing is, if you can make dice roll realistically, then you can simulate manually changing the face.

#11 drkjedi35

drkjedi35

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:02 AM

DavicusPrime said:

ScottieATF said:

Holy Terror said:

Agree with both points.

-DavicusPrime

Agreed!!

Roy

#12 Holy Terror

Holy Terror

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:14 AM

For $5?… Useless.

#13 DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:40 AM

Holy Terror said:

For $5?… Useless.

Tis why I just bought 2 starters and called it good.  Plenty of dice.  Double the ships. :-)

-DavicusPrime

#14 drkjedi35

drkjedi35

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:53 AM

Holy Terror said:

For $5?… Useless.

It is not useless.  You are upset about 1 small thing, that they may fix in an update.  But even without that update, it is still useful.  It is the best simulated dice rolling app I've ever seen.

It looks realistic.

Ability to simulate the dice rolling action if you have that enabled.

Star Wars sound effects and backgrounds. (always a plus)

Ability to save your most used combinations and reroll individual dice.

Star Wars RPG dice for those who are getting into that.

General dice (D4, D6, D8, D10, D12, D20) so you can use it with other games that require dice.

The only real issue I have with it right now is whether or not it will be legal to use in a tournament. (But there is another thread for that)

Roy

#15 Holy Terror

Holy Terror

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:00 PM

Okay, we've played about 3 times, each of us with the App on our Iphones. Not being able to change the face of dice is a real glaring omission… but… THE SOUNDS ARE WORTH THE PRICE OF ADMISSION… FIRE: PEW PEW PEW….

#16 SteveSpikes

SteveSpikes

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:29 PM

Don't forget that you also get the "custom" dice for the RPG, Edge of the Empire -- BETA, as well.  That is if you're going to play that as well, of course.

#17 herozeromes

herozeromes

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:05 PM

SteveSpikes said:

Don't forget that you also get the "custom" dice for the RPG, Edge of the Empire -- BETA, as well.  That is if you're going to play that as well, of course.

If you were lucky enough to get a copy of it, that is. I debated, and by the time that I decided to, they were sold out. You snooze, you lose :)

#18 SteveSpikes

SteveSpikes

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:31 PM

herozeromes said:

SteveSpikes said:

If you were lucky enough to get a copy of it, that is. I debated, and by the time that I decided to, they were sold out. You snooze, you lose :)

Since Edge of the Empire RPG is an "open beta", you should be able to pick up a copy at your LGS, or through FFG.

#19 herozeromes

herozeromes

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:35 AM

SteveSpikes said:

Since Edge of the Empire RPG is an "open beta", you should be able to pick up a copy at your LGS, or through FFG.

There's the rub! FFG says it is not available and I don't have a game store anywhere near me.

#20 KommissarK

KommissarK

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:29 AM

herozeromes said:

DavicusPrime said:

ScottieATF said:

Holy Terror said:

Agree with both points.

-DavicusPrime

Yes, but I canceled my Dice Expansion off of my pre-ordered so it would be held up at Miniature Market and bought the App to play this game instead. Moving the dice is just an easy way to keep track. For instance, you say I'm going to use my focus on this action and then you get interrupted. You come back to the game and you now forget if you did that or not or whether you had a token or not. So, if you didn't move the die, you may miss a point. The thing is, if you can make dice roll realistically, then you can simulate manually changing the face.

If you're interrupted, leave the focus token on the table and write a note about who was rolling the attack.

But seriously, I don't have my game with me at present, but the only time that "change die facing" terminology is used is when dealing with the application of focus/certain card effects that turn focus into some result (e.g. proton torpedoes/luke's ability)? I really don't see how you are unable to do that on the fly.

Would it be useful? Maybe (at least if you could "drop" a focus token for a side and just have it change the results). But without the app going into every single way the dice could be rolled (i.e. having to explicitly state the attacker/defender pilot, special rules, distance, and tokens used), I fail to see how useful it could really be.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS