Question about collisions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tiepilot1138

tiepilot1138

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:54 PM

I played my first game today, and we had a situation that I haven't seen occur yet.  I had two ties that were pretty close formation.  The first one moved into clear space.  The second one moved in close and collided with a nearby x-wing.  At the point the tie stopped, it was less than a base away from the first tie (very close).  So basically we have a line of ships, tie #1 -> tie #2 -> x-wing, with the x-wing and tie #2 in contact.  Of course, tie #2 gets no action.  The x-wing then activates, and his move is a straight move that will go through tie #2 and collide with tie #1.  The problem is that there is no space along the template between the two ties to place the x-wing.  We assumed the x-wing collides, but with who?  Our final uneducated ruling was that the x-wing couldn't move at all, since there was no space for it anywhere along it's move template.  Did we do this right?

#2 vadersson

vadersson

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:25 PM

From my reading of the rules, you move back along the template to the first open spot.  In this case, that spot is where he started.  So they X-wing would not move, get no action, and can not attack TIE #2 (who can not attack him either.)

Thanks,

Duncan

Gold 109 (ret.)

Wesa need Gungans!

#3 tiepilot1138

tiepilot1138

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:30 PM

vadersson said:

From my reading of the rules, you move back along the template to the first open spot.  In this case, that spot is where he started.  So they X-wing would not move, get no action, and can not attack TIE #2 (who can not attack him either.)

Thanks,

Duncan

Cool.  That's pretty much how we played it.

#4 SteveSpikes

SteveSpikes

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:05 PM

tiepilot1138 said:

I played my first game today, and we had a situation that I haven't seen occur yet.  I had two ties that were pretty close formation.  The first one moved into clear space.  The second one moved in close and collided with a nearby x-wing.  At the point the tie stopped, it was less than a base away from the first tie (very close).  So basically we have a line of ships, tie #1 -> tie #2 -> x-wing, with the x-wing and tie #2 in contact.  Of course, tie #2 gets no action.  The x-wing then activates, and his move is a straight move that will go through tie #2 and collide with tie #1.  The problem is that there is no space along the template between the two ties to place the x-wing.  We assumed the x-wing collides, but with who?  Our final uneducated ruling was that the x-wing couldn't move at all, since there was no space for it anywhere along it's move template.  Did we do this right?

Any fighter may pass through any other fighter without penalty.  Remember: the game is supposed to represent 3D space.

True.  It looks like the X-Wing did not move (on paper, anyway), but it did.  It moved through TIE #2, and collided with TIE #1.  The X-Wing would lose the action, true.  But it would still be able to attack TIE #1; since it's not based up on that fighter -- as long as any part of the base of TIE #1 is in the firing arch of the X-Wing, of course.

Without a visual representation, I cannot be totally certain of the chain of events.  I hope that clears that up.

#5 tiepilot1138

tiepilot1138

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:07 PM

SteveSpikes said:

tiepilot1138 said:

Any fighter may pass through any other fighter without penalty.  Remember: the game is supposed to represent 3D space.

True.  It looks like the X-Wing did not move (on paper, anyway), but it did.  It moved through TIE #2, and collided with TIE #1.  The X-Wing would lose the action, true.  But it would still be able to attack TIE #1; since it's not based up on that fighter -- as long as any part of the base of TIE #1 is in the firing arch of the X-Wing, of course.

Without a visual representation, I cannot be totally certain of the chain of events.  I hope that clears that up.

That's how we played it.  He took a shot at tie #1 after movement was resolved.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS