Custom Chapter - Brass Fists

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:06 PM

Ok, this is my first attempt to translate an idea for creating a Chapter and I have picked one of the ideas that are at present notes on paper in my home. There are several parts that I am not at all happy with but I thought I'd throw it out and see what some people might of it, and suggest for changes. I am a bit concerned that the Chapter might be a bit to narrow but I wanted to make a Chapter that focused on vehicles

Name: Brass Fists

Why was the chapter founded: Counter against Orks

Foundation: 41st millennium

Progenitor: Imperial Fists

Gene-stock Purity: Pure (as pure as Imperial Fist gene-seed might be, at least)

Missing Zygotes: Betcher's gland and Sus-an membrane

Codex Demeanours: Swift as the Wind

Characteristic Modifiers: +5 Will and +5 Ag

Founding Father: The very first Chapter Master was a tank commander of some reputation from the Imperial Fists. He lead the Chapter on a ramage against the greenskins with thousands of the foul creatures crushed beneath their tracks. A great deal of the present customs of the Chapter have their roots in these campaigns and his leadership.

Current Chapter Master: Engwal, a fine warrior and leader presently leading the Chapter in the Jericho Reach where they have fought many successful tank battles against both Tau and Chaos forces, although with many fallen brothers as a result of their commitment.

Homeworld: Trawyck, a former War World which has now been turned into a feral world dominate by vehicle-mounted warrior tribes scavaging what they can from each other and fighting for what resources that can be found among the blasted ruins of fallen cities.

Relation with World: Distant Rule, the Chapter watches from range and only intervienes to stop major technical or societal advancement that could threaten the current chaotic situation

Organization: Codex Chapter, although the Chapter has through ties with the Adeptus Mechanicus manage to have a slightely larger vehicle pool than most other Chapters

Combat Doctrine: Codex Combat Doctrine but favoring amoured assaults when possible

Chapter Deamenor: Swift as the Wind

Solo Mode Abilites: Iron Steed, the Battle Brother can re-roll any failed Drive test, once. At Rank 4 any failed Drive test can be re-rolled twice

Squad Mode Attack: Tactical Finess (see Rites of Battle p. 33)

Squad Mode Defensive: Hold at all costs (see Rites of Battle p. 49)

Primarch's Curse: Death before Dishonor (see Rites of Battle p. 48-49)

Pasts: Jericho Reach Veteran: You have already once serve in the Jericho Reach with your Battle-Brothers and now you stand ready to do so again againt what horrors it can throw at you

Amoured Champion: You and your brothers engaged the greenskin land armada outnumbered fifty-to-one but in the end the sky was chocked with the black smoke from the burning machines of the Xenos

Survivor: Your tank was destroyed and the crew slain but you made it on, and several months later rejoined Imperial forces despite the enemy's best efforts to destroy you

Armoured Fist: You fought with distinction to break through the enemy's lines and destroy their armored counter attack 

Tank Hunter: Through a grey and blasted landscape you stalked the enemy's amored vehicles and destroyed them one after another, leading to their dislodgement form the city

Names: Sigwald, Albrecht, Talwas, Erwin, Gerold, Sigfried, Fredrich, Torald, Sigmid, Lothar

Beliefs: Revere the Primarch

Chapter Current Status: Under Strength - three companies including the First Company have come to take part in the war for the Jericho Reach, and a fourth company has been sent for, despite heavy losses already suffered the Chapter is determine to make their first crusade into a victorious one

Chapter Friends: Adeptus Mechanicus

Chapter Enemies: Greenskins

Chapter Trappings: Ossific Relic (see Rites of Battle p. 51) and Scrimshaw Tools (see Rites of Battle p. 51)

Chapter Relics: The Brass Fists Chapter is too young to have any relics in the custody of the Deathwatch

Custom Advances:

Tactics (Armored Assault) - 200

Tactics (Armored Assault) +10 - 200

Tactics (Armored Assault) +20 - 400

Drive (any) - 300

Drive (any) +10 - 400

Drive (any) +20 400

Nerves of Steel - 400

Hatred (Orks) - 250

Peer (Adeptus Mechanicus) - 400

Eye of Vengeance - 500

#2 DJSunhammer

DJSunhammer

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:26 AM

I might try to find a different name… Did you just make a Mad Max Chapter? Does the initiation rite involve fighting in a giant area with a ton of vehicles?

You should change the solo mode improvement from two rerolls [which is weird] to a +10 bonus to Drive tests.

You might add some Chapter wargear or Relics that are only in possession of the Chapter and available through Sig Wargear only.

#3 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:10 PM

First of all thanks for the reply.  I was afraid this thread would be greeted by only the silent void.

DJSunhammer said:

I might try to find a different name…

Any suggestions? I wanted to tie them in with the Imperial Fists but if you think its bad I'm open for another one.

DJSunhammer said:

Did you just make a Mad Max Chapter?

Possible, but I haven't seen Mad Max myself so it wasn't what I was thinking on when I made the Chapter. The inspiration was mostly from general post-Apocalyptic movies, German panzer unites from WW2 and the two ideas of both a Chapter focused on vehicles and a Chapter which is very young and trying to prove itself to older Chapters.

DJSunhammer said:

Does the initiation rite involve fighting in a giant area with a ton of vehicles?

I don't think so. I haven thought much about the initiation but it seems likely that vehicles may be involved.

DJSunhammer said:

You should change the solo mode improvement from two rerolls [which is weird] to a +10 bonus to Drive tests.

Maybe +10 at levels 1-4 and +15 from level 5 and upwards?

DJSunhammer said:

You might add some Chapter wargear or Relics that are only in possession of the Chapter and available through Sig Wargear only.

I thought about wargear but haven't decided on anything. Most likely it will be something related to vehicles, but I kind of think that the Chapter may be a bit to young for a relic as they're less than a millennium old. Still I'll look into it and see if I can come up with something.

#4 Penpen

Penpen

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:18 PM

I'd definetly add the names Max and Wez to the chapter list. ;)

#5 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:41 AM

Penpen said:

I'd definetly add the names Max and Wez to the chapter list. ;)

Will do.

#6 DJSunhammer

DJSunhammer

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:49 AM

I'm not sure what a better name would be, but definitely something that flows better than what you have. I usually start with a core idea of the chapter and build a name from there. For example, I wrote up an Aztec based chapter a while back and built the name based on references from Aztec society. I went through maybe twenty names before I found one I liked [and looking back on it, I will probably make a change.] I suggest doing the same thing.

Compile a list of words that describe the chapter in abstract in the same way that the Rites of Battle book does, then just start throwing them together until you find one you like. I usually end up with a descent sized list.

Off topic: Is back space killing a huge chunk of a post with one keystroke when you guys write, or is it just me? It's really getting on my nerves.

#7 Alekzanter

Alekzanter

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:08 PM

Yes…backspace is being a delete *****.

#8 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:02 AM

Gurkhal said:

DJSunhammer said:

Any suggestions? I wanted to tie them in with the Imperial Fists but if you think its bad I'm open for another one.

Fists of Fury (with apologies to Bruce Lee)? Fists if Rage (with apologies to Kid Rock)?

#9 Face Eater

Face Eater

• Members
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:14 AM

Adeptus-B said:

Gurkhal said:

DJSunhammer said:

Fists of Fury (with apologies to Bruce Lee)? Fists if Rage (with apologies to Kid Rock)?

The Iron Fists (If you like Tekken).

It works as an Imperial Fist successor, the general idea also works as a Iron Hands successor if you start changing it in that direction (and I'm not saying you do).

If you want a Fist Chapter, then Fists of Steel, Smoking Fists, Exploding Fists, Flaming Fists (referring to engines and combustion).

#10 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:02 PM

I want them to be the Panzerfists.

My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

#11 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:59 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys.

DJSunhammer: I see your point, and an Aztec based Chapter sounds very interest, me being a great enthusiast for Mesoamerica and so. You would't consider posting the Chapter here for us to see, would you.  

Alkzanter: I agree that backspace isn't a very fun thing to press.

Adeptus-B: Good ideas.

Face Eater: Good ideas here to. I think that Flaming Fists should like something that I should pick up. Its has a nice ring to it although so does also Smoking Fists and it kind of evokes the kind of feeling I'm looking for.

Plushy: Yeah, me too. But I'm afraid that might be a bit too campy.

#12 DJSunhammer

DJSunhammer

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:28 AM

I will have to rewrite them. They were originally in a notebook, but I have no idea where that went. I lost a few things when I moved, one of them being that notebook. Another being a shoe. Which is inconvenient, considering I still have the other shoe.

#13 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

DJSunhammer said:

I will have to rewrite them. They were originally in a notebook, but I have no idea where that went. I lost a few things when I moved, one of them being that notebook. Another being a shoe. Which is inconvenient, considering I still have the other shoe.

I worked with some fellas on creating the Blood Jaguars. Care to take a look?

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Blood_Jaguars

My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

#14 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:36 AM

Plushy said:

DJSunhammer said:

I worked with some fellas on creating the Blood Jaguars. Care to take a look?

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Blood_Jaguars

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Gav me a few good laughts at what I found over on 1d4chan.org

#15 DJSunhammer

DJSunhammer

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:30 AM

That's interesting, though very different from the chapter I wrote. Mine is more mystical than bloodthirsty.

#16 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:55 AM

DJSunhammer said:

That's interesting, though very different from the chapter I wrote. Mine is more mystical than bloodthirsty.

If you'd want to "re-write" them and post them here on the forums I'll be delighted to make a comparison between them.

#17 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:04 AM

With the excellent advice given on this forum I've decided to make some changes to my Chapter and it now stands like this. All comments are naturally welcome.

Name: Smoking Fists

Why was the chapter founded: Counter against Orks

Foundation: 41st millennium

Progenitor: Imperial Fists

Gene-stock Purity: Pure (as pure as Imperial Fist gene-seed might be, at least)

Missing Zygotes: Betcher's gland and Sus-an membrane

Codex Demeanours: Swift as the Wind

Characteristic Modifiers: +5 Will and +5 Ag

Founding Father: The very first Chapter Master was a tank commander of some reputation from the Imperial Fists. He lead the Chapter on a ramage against the greenskins with thousands of the foul creatures crushed beneath their tracks. A great deal of the present customs of the Chapter have their roots in these campaigns and his leadership.

Current Chapter Master: Engwal, a fine warrior and leader presently leading the Chapter in the Jericho Reach where they have fought many successful tank battles against both Tau and Chaos forces, although with many fallen brothers as a result of their commitment.

Homeworld: Trawyck, a former War World which has now been turned into a feral world dominate by vehicle-mounted warrior tribes scavaging what they can from each other and fighting for what resources that can be found among the blasted ruins of fallen cities.

Relation with World: Distant Rule, the Chapter watches from range and only intervienes to stop major technical or societal advancement that could threaten the current chaotic situation

Organization: Codex Chapter, although the Chapter has through ties with the Adeptus Mechanicus manage to have a slightely larger vehicle pool than most other Chapters

Combat Doctrine: Codex Combat Doctrine but favoring amoured assaults when possible

Chapter Deamenor: Swift as the Wind

Solo Mode Abilites: Iron Steed, the Battle Brother can re-roll any failed Drive test

Squad Mode Attack: Tactical Finess (see Rites of Battle p. 33)

Squad Mode Defensive: Hold at all costs (see Rites of Battle p. 49)

Primarch's Curse: Death before Dishonor (see Rites of Battle p. 48-49)

Pasts: Jericho Reach Veteran: You have already once serve in the Jericho Reach with your Battle-Brothers and now you stand ready to do so again againt what horrors it can throw at you

Amoured Champion: You and your brothers engaged the greenskin land armada outnumbered fifty-to-one but in the end the sky was chocked with the black smoke from the burning machines of the Xenos

Survivor: Your tank was destroyed and the crew slain but you made it on, and several months later rejoined Imperial forces despite the enemy's best efforts to destroy you

Armoured Fist: You fought with distinction to break through the enemy's lines and destroy their armored counter attack

Tank Hunter: Through a grey and blasted landscape you stalked the enemy's amored vehicles and destroyed them one after another, leading to their dislodgement form the city

Names: Albrecht, Talwas, Erwin, Gerold, Sigfried, Torald, Sigmid, Lothar, Max, Wez

Beliefs: Revere the Primarch

Chapter Current Status: Under Strength - three companies including the First Company have come to take part in the war for the Jericho Reach, and a fourth company has been sent for, despite heavy losses already suffered the Chapter is determine to make their first crusade into a victorious one

Chapter Friends: Adeptus Mechanicus

Chapter Enemies: Greenskins

Chapter Trappings: Ossific Relic (see Rites of Battle p. 51) and Scrimshaw Tools (see Rites of Battle p. 51)

Chapter Relics: Erwald's Bones (a ossific relic from the first brother to serve in the Deathwatch and who also fell in that service) - gives +10 in WS, BS and Will to the bearer

Custom Advances:

Tactics (Armored Assault) - 200

Tactics (Armored Assault) +10 - 200

Tactics (Armored Assault) +20 - 400

Drive (any) - 300

Drive (any) +10 - 400

Drive (any) +20 400

Nerves of Steel - 400

Hatred (Orks) - 250

Peer (Adeptus Mechanicus) - 400

Eye of Vengeance - 500

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS