Combat in the Void (as in voidsuits)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mdosantos

mdosantos

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:35 PM

Hi everyone, first time posting and that…

So after succesfully GMing a long and fruitful Deathwatch Campaign, I'm aiming to GM a Rogue Trader one. Anyways onto my question…

I've been reading the core rulebook and somehow I can't find the rules for fighting in the void (other than no-grav counts as difficult terrain) but how about voidsuit puncturing and firing weapons? does any kind of weapon fires in the void? if a player gets damaged he should start checking against vaccum exposure?

If anybody can point me out to a page in the book or give me some ideas on to how to deal with this I'll be glad? I'm asking because in the introductory adventure it seems there's a chance the players have to engage in combat with voidsuits…

Thanks in advance :)

#2 NGL

NGL

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:04 AM

Void suits are generally lightly armoured if at all which means any penetrating shot will rupture the suit.  There are however some self sealing suits available some offer a 6+ on a d10 to self seal some of these auto-seal at good and best quality preventing any breeches or ruptures from occurring.  I recommend the automatically self-sealing suits if your guys are going to be mixing it up in the void.

Hostile Acquisitions pg.62 has rules for the pressure carapace ap6 all automatically self-sealing at good quality or better.  Incidentally, it has the same rarity as a suit of storm trooper carapace, very rare.  Prior to RT:HA my group devised a similar solution out of necessity.  There are other examples of voidsuits out there but if you're looking for the cure all look no further.

#3 Cornwallis

Cornwallis

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:08 AM

I always wondered if armor could be worn underneath and what kinds. always assumed synskin was fine, but normal armor could not.

#4 Musclewizard

Musclewizard

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:19 AM

I'm imagining that void suits are pretty large (or at least flexible) and that you can wear armour underneath, though if you couldn't wear armour (besides maybe Synskin) it would make voidwalking even more dangerous than it already is.
In an encounter my players had recently they were faced with walking through a water filled corridor (as in totaly flooded) while they were attacked by mutants that had adapted to the environment. It was a lot of fun, while the mutants weren't really capable of hurting the PCs through their armour they were easily capable of ripping of their helmets, which turned the entire fight into a race against time.

#5 jarsen

jarsen

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:41 AM

I was just reading about void spearguns on page 112 of Into the Storm, which appears to imply that a rip in a void suit can be repaired. NGL mentions Hostile Aquisitions mentions self-sealing void suits, so I assume that means that you can manually repair a void suit's integrity. I think I might have my players spend 1 or 2 rounds repairing their void suit if it's ripped. And maybe they have, say, 3 rounds before their suit is depressurized. So if a void suit is self-sealing, maybe the attempt to repair happens as a free action (since the suit is doing it on its own), and if that fails they can take a full round to repair it while behind cover or something.

#6 Angel of Death

Angel of Death

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:22 AM

A little late to answer on this 1, but still I will.

We recently had a Void encounter, and while wearing Boarding Armour from Inquistor's Handbook, 1 of the PC had his roll of Mud tape on his armor strictly for oops in space.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS