Asteroid Packs?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SteveSpikes

SteveSpikes

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:49 PM

I've been thinking about this for some time now (alright, right after Gen Con, when FFG announced "Wave 2").  With the announcement of the Millennium Falcon, I've been thinking of the scenario (from Episode V) where the Millennium Falcon flies through the asteroid field, escaping from Hoth.  Six asteroids doesn't seem to cut it, and I don't want to buy Core Sets just for the asteroids alone.  Also having more asteroids of varying sizes would be a bit more challenging for skirmishes too.

Any thoughts.

#2 AncientAngel

AncientAngel

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:15 PM

You know you mention this and all I can think is Tie Bombers. Maybe they could do an expansion pack tied to the Star Wars bombers? But you are right, a physical 3D model of an asteroid would be a nice touch.

#3 GunslingerSix

GunslingerSix

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:27 PM

The problem with 3-D models is that in the rules you can end your movement overlapping an asteroid unlike another fighter, so it would have its dificulties.

I had no qualms about buying extra core sets.  I've got three and plan on buying a fourth just for the extra ships and dice.  Having played a game with all of the asteroid counters I must say it was a lot of fun.

#4 SteveSpikes

SteveSpikes

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:38 AM

Sadly, I was referring to additional asteroid "tokens" (of more varying sizes), not 3D pieces of rock.

#5 DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:46 AM

This game is designed around only the ships being 3D.  Terrain will need to be flat to fit the current rules.  Or you can run with 3D models that have a base the exact same size and shape as the 3D model and that can be removed from it's base easily while ships are passing through that area.  It would look cool and be functional with the current rules.

I doubt this will ever be something that FFG would produce.  It's more likely that this will be a DIY project for us terrain builders.

-DavicusPrime

#6 Doc Savage

Doc Savage

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:12 AM

I will certainly add 3d asteroids and probably altitude rules. If the base of a ship crosses that of an asteroid they collide. Simple as that. Well, some collision rules, too.

Visit DocSavageTales.blogspot.com for cool stuff!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS