• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Nun of your business

Nun of your business

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:26 PM

Hi!

Just curious, but does anyone know of a thread that might have a list of the acronyms frequently used here in the forums?

I pretty much just got off the boat from Innsmouth and am completely new at fighting off Eldritch horrors. This forum has been a treasure trove of clarification when it comes to picking out the interpretation of some of the more esoteric rules (or, y'know that whole pesky rule book :P), but I kid you not when I say that it took me over 5 minutes to puzzle out that "GOO" meant "Great Old One" (I was racking my brain trying to conjure which particular polypous ooze folks were refering to with the use of GOO. Silly me).

Long story short: as a new kid, many of the acronyms that refer to cards or monsters or expansions can very puzzling and I always eem to draw an encounter that gives me a -3 to my Lore. :( 

Regardless, thanks for all the cool information you crazy-heads have provided thus far!

#2 Walk

Walk

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:58 PM

I'm…probably not the best qualified to answer, but I'll pitch in anyway. Probably the most common type of acronym is that used to refer to the game or its expansions.  Thus, Arkham Horror is AH, Kingsport Horror KH, Dunwich Horror DH, Innsmouth Horror IH, Miskatonic Horror MH, Curse of the Dark Pharaoh CotDP (or just DP), King in Yellow KiY, Black Goat of the Woods BGotW, and Lurker at the Threshold LatT.  There's also AO for Ancient One and LiTaS for Lost in Time and Space.  And, of course, FFG is Fantasy Flight Games.  Other than those, none come to mind at the moment.

And if I'm being honest: there are still some acronyms that I don't know, even though I've been here for a year or so.  IIRC, for example.  Could anyone enlighten me on that one?

#3 florrat

florrat

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

For non-AH acronyms, the urban dictionary is very handy: http://www.urbandictionary.com

IIRC: If I Recall (Remember) correctly

If the context allows, L.o.A. might mean lack of attention.

#4 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:00 PM

one of my all time favorites: LiTaS or Lost in Time and Space 

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#5 Nun of your business

Nun of your business

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:27 PM

florrat said:

For non-AH acronyms, the urban dictionary is very handy: http://www.urbandictionary.com

IIRC: If I Recall (Remember) correctly

If the context allows, L.o.A. might mean lack of attention.

I was actually intending it to mean List of Acronyms (cheeky!), but you're probably not too far off the mark, in my case. :P

Thanks so much for the help, though! Walk, I am especially in your debt for CotDP! I was mystified as to what it could be refering. Creature of the Dark Pools? Crumbs of the Delicious Pizza?

Crying of the Dumb Person? <--- me! I feel silly, as I wasn't even aware of the existance of half of these expansions.

@The Professor: I actually worked out LiTaS pretty quickly, but yeah, it is kind of adorable.

Thanks again for the assistance!

#6 Tbla

Tbla

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:27 PM

OW for Other world

#7 Nun of your business

Nun of your business

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:26 AM

Tbla said:

OW for Other world

Got that one, too! :)

And just figured out WotYS = Warding of the Yellow Sign from your last posting, Tbla.

And I don't even know what that is, in game terms! I need to get me some more lazy funds, so I can pick up some of these expansions. If only I didn't need food…

#8 Tbla

Tbla

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:07 AM

I haven't actually seen the WotYS before. It was just something I invented (the meaning should be quite clear since it was spelled out earlier in the thread).

#9 Nun of your business

Nun of your business

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:32 AM

Tbla said:

I haven't actually seen the WotYS before. It was just something I invented (the meaning should be quite clear since it was spelled out earlier in the thread).

the post just before, to be precise. Which is the only reason I "figured it out". :P

#10 subochre

subochre

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:17 AM

Walk hit all the major ones, though occasionally you see mention of KW or RL (the former is Kevin Wilson, designer of this edition, and the latter is Richard Launius, designer of the 1980s version), and very rarely you might run across some Silver Twilight-related abbreviation (usually IS for Inner Sanctum), or CAO (usually accompanied by a spit of disgust) for Call Ancient One.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS