A question of storage

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Aahzmandius_Karrde

Aahzmandius_Karrde

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:26 AM

So this probably seems like a silly thing to be thinking of right now but it is something to be considered.

In most CCG/LCGs you can divide up your cards as you see fit, usually with some organization to them based on Sides/Factions and card type.  With pod sets you're not going to want to do that.  If they're not in your deck you're probably going to want to keep the pods together and simply organize them by Factions. 

I was thinking of taking a page from the way I store Dominion.  For each set of 10/12 cards I group them together and stick them in one standard american size sleeve (FFG Gray sized).  I tend to use colored sleeves to delineate the sets and that should work nicely for the Faction pods here.  I just tried this with 6 Warhammer: Invasion cards and they fit in OK.  The problem I had is that while the euro size cards are narrower and taller than these, that group tends to stick out a bit and makes it easy to remove.  Because these are the "perfect" sized sleeve they don't stick out at all, and as they are a bit snug it makes removing them difficult.

Anyone else have thoughts on alternate storage methods?  Or maybe FFG will just solve this for us with tabbed divideors… I'm not holding my breath for that one.

Welcome to the FFG Star Wars RPG Index 

#2 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:14 AM

Aahzmandius_Karrde said:

Anyone else have thoughts on alternate storage methods?  Or maybe FFG will just solve this for us with tabbed divideors… I'm not holding my breath for that one.

Take a page from the Resident Evil Deckbuilding Game's Nightmare expansion;

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1174153/resident-evil-deck-building-game-nightmare

There's an image there of someone's organized box.  The dividers that came with that set, coupled with the Outbreak expansion, provide fantastic index cards for sorting everything.  You could essentially do the same in the Core Set box with a $2 pack of index cards from Wal Mart, dividing each card block out in whatever way works for you.

Just use two strips of cardboard, cut to run the length of the box, so you have 3 rows for cards, and you'll have more than enough space for everything that gets released over the next few years.

#3 Darksbane

Darksbane

• Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:15 AM

Aahzmandius_Karrde said:

So this probably seems like a silly thing to be thinking of right now but it is something to be considered.

In most CCG/LCGs you can divide up your cards as you see fit, usually with some organization to them based on Sides/Factions and card type.  With pod sets you're not going to want to do that.  If they're not in your deck you're probably going to want to keep the pods together and simply organize them by Factions. 

I was thinking of taking a page from the way I store Dominion.  For each set of 10/12 cards I group them together and stick them in one standard american size sleeve (FFG Gray sized).  I tend to use colored sleeves to delineate the sets and that should work nicely for the Faction pods here.  I just tried this with 6 Warhammer: Invasion cards and they fit in OK.  The problem I had is that while the euro size cards are narrower and taller than these, that group tends to stick out a bit and makes it easy to remove.  Because these are the "perfect" sized sleeve they don't stick out at all, and as they are a bit snug it makes removing them difficult.

3 ring binder and 9 pocket pages instead?

Cardgamedb.com - The source for Game of Thrones, Star Wars, Android: Netrunner, Lord of the Rings, Call of Cthulhu, and Warhammer: Invasion deckbuilders and spoilers. Now with 100% more FFG!

#4 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:21 AM

I'm probably going to sleeve only the objective card itself, with it's pod cards behind it, and then file each of them in number order within each faction. Seems pretty easy and I'll be able to flip through them by objective pretty fast.

#5 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:53 AM

I'm just going to throw everything together in numerical order within factions. I'm not gonna try to sleeve a block together.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#6 sinnerfold

sinnerfold

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:42 PM

Binder. 9 card pockets per page. First pocket has the objective cards. I don't know if we'll be getting 3 copies of each objective, but we'll see. Each objective comes with 5 cards. If you put cards back to back that gives you 1(possibly 3 copies of objective)+15 cards to go with the objective. That's 18 cards.

Basically each page will be for each objective. So when building a deck you could actually just pull entire pages from the binder at a time. This game will rule.

#7 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:58 PM

sinnerfold said:

Binder. 9 card pockets per page. First pocket has the objective cards. I don't know if we'll be getting 3 copies of each objective, but we'll see. Each objective comes with 5 cards. If you put cards back to back that gives you 1(possibly 3 copies of objective)+15 cards to go with the objective. That's 18 cards.

Basically each page will be for each objective. So when building a deck you could actually just pull entire pages from the binder at a time. This game will rule.

Naive question but, will sleeved cards fit in a binder? I'm assuming not, and I'd rather not re-sleeve my cards to play and de-sleeve them for storage.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#8 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:07 PM

It depends on what kind of pages you get for the binder, so check first if you can. Those are such small potatoes, though, when you consider how much more work goes into a typical CCG or LCG, where you have to pick and choose each individual card, and only sleeve the deck when you have it the way you want it, versus here, where it's just ten critical decisions and you're done.

"To play a wrong note is insignificant. To play without passion is inexcusable."
– Beethoven

#9 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,305 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:00 AM

sinnerfold said:

Seems unlikely that we'll get 3x the objectives as there will only be 2 copies of any objective allowed in a deck (except for some objectives that state they have a limit of 1).

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS