Vassal Mod

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:00 AM

So who wants to build the Vassal Mod for this game?

Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook.com/groups/swgon/ Star Wars Gaming Ontario formerly known as Star Wars Miniatures Toronto

#2 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 994 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:28 AM

Ooo, that'd be a tough one…

#3 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:39 AM

I was hoping nobody would ask about this so I could surprise the community with one in a month or two.

Parakitor and I will be working on one, but our first pass will be a private mod meant for the two of us to play together since we live on opposite sides of the continent. Once we've play-tested that, I'll make an FFG-friendly version where all the text is blocked out except for names. It'd be a beast to reference all that stuff while you play on the computer, but it sure beats having nobody to play with. I think the hardest part will be ship orientation. I don't think it will be too difficult to make ships point at 0 degrees, 45 degrees, 90 degrees, etc., but you can start your ship facing at 3 degrees and then have it move in 45 degree increments from there. A related problem is moving ships backward along the movement templates when they would otherwise overlap. That's another situation where ship angle gets shifted off of the regular 45 degree intervals.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#4 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:56 AM

I love you.  

If you need a volunteer to help playtesting, let me know.

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook.com/groups/swgon/ Star Wars Gaming Ontario formerly known as Star Wars Miniatures Toronto

#5 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:36 AM

Budgernaut said:

I think the hardest part will be ship orientation. 

I totally agree. I know you there is an option to allow units to be placed freely, not to a grid. I just need out how to rotate units freely.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#6 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:40 AM

Yep, I'd love to work on it but I have several other irons in the fire. First, I'll need to obtain the game so I can get some good photos and get everything to the right scale. I'm also trying to find time to make my X-wing pilot costume and an R2-D2 costume for my son before Halloween. It will be a few months before you see a Vassal mod from me, but it is on the radar.

#7 SteveSpikes

SteveSpikes

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:44 AM

Parakitor said:

Budgernaut said:

I totally agree. I know you there is an option to allow units to be placed freely, not to a grid. I just need out how to rotate units freely.

Not to mention the "barrel Roll" Action -- placing, in this case, movement 1 ruler ANYWHERE along the side of a piece, and having the ability to move the piece ANYWHERE along the other side of the ruler. *shrugs*

#8 SteveSpikes

SteveSpikes

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:45 AM

Parakitor said:

Budgernaut said:

Parakitor said:

Budgernaut said:

Not to mention the "barrel Roll" Action -- placing, in this case, movement 1 ruler ANYWHERE along the side of a piece, and having the ability to move the piece ANYWHERE along the other side of the ruler. *shrugs*

#9 SteveSpikes

SteveSpikes

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:46 AM

Cursed double post! :)

#10 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:12 AM

Parakitor said:

Yep, I'd love to work on it but I have several other irons in the fire. First, I'll need to obtain the game so I can get some good photos and get everything to the right scale. I'm also trying to find time to make my X-wing pilot costume and an R2-D2 costume for my son before Halloween. It will be a few months before you see a Vassal mod from me, but it is on the radar.

Yes, getting the game first is definitely a must. As for me, I'll probably spend more time on the Vassal mod than on playing the game when I first get it. My wife isn't too keen on playing games and I haven't met anyone in my local area who I can play with.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#11 AidenDouglass

AidenDouglass

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:00 AM

where do I post it?  V1.1 is already done.

Look for it on the VASSAL Server Status.  Come in and request the module.

#12 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 994 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:16 AM

Not seeing it there. When are you guys normally on?

#13 AidenDouglass

AidenDouglass

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:48 AM

Oops, was in Direct Peer to Peer mode

On now

#14 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 994 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:23 PM

Can't join the room without having the module first. Link?

#15 AidenDouglass

AidenDouglass

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:31 PM

Download "A Chat Module"

Find me in there.  =)

www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:A_Chat_Module

#16 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:21 PM

AidenDouglas, this all seems rather cryptic to me. What exactly are you saying? What I understand you to mean is this:

You have already made a Vassal mod.
You have not posted it with the other mods.
You will only distribute the mod if people PM you.

Is this how you're doing things?  My version of the mod would eventually have stats, text, and fleet points blocked out so that people can't play the game unless they have the cards, catering to FFG's preferences to their previous games, like the Runewars mod. Is your version like that? 

--Count Dooku

#17 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 994 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:05 AM

In the interest of staying on FFG's happy side, I'm gonna hold out for Budgernaut's mod. I just wanted to see if/how you pulled it off, is all.

#18 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:08 PM

First off, Aiden: this mod is awesome! Thanks for all your hard work. It's all there, but I have a few suggestions/concerns.

In the title, the word “miniature” should be “miniatures.” It should read “X-wing miniatures game.”

I don’t think 15 degree increments for rotation is enough. That's 24 facings. I tried switching it to 360 facings, and it takes 4 seconds of holding the arrow key down to rotate your ship 90 degrees. So in practice 15 degrees isn't so bad, but it does limit the finer elements of positioning during set-up and collisions.

No Koiogran turn template. Okay, so that's just nitpicking.

I don’t get why you have to enter in the values for the ships every time you put a new one down. Seems laborious. And at any rate, aren’t the stats for each ship the same, regardless of pilot? It should just be part of the piece.

I don’t like how the dice automatically rolls 5 at a time. It should probably be just one die at a time, and you click it as many times as you need, and then it’s recorded in the log. Actually, I’d be fine just ditching the dice altogether since presumably anybody that plays will have their own dice, and I would never cheat.

Those are my thoughts. Again, it sounds critical, but I am grateful for all you've done, and I am just providing feedback and keeping a dialog open to make it even better.

#19 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:18 PM

Here's my tip: read this thread. The whole reason I brought up this issue was so that people wouldn't be put off by my range guide when I made my mod, but nobody seemed to pay any attention to it.

EDIT: You know, your mod does something really well that mine wouldn't: it allows easy creation of brand new pilots. It's easy to just add a new name and different skill level of a custom pilot.

EDIT 2: And I suppose I should let you know that I got your mod from Parakitor since we're twins. I hope you don't mind that he shared it with me, but there's nobody we know well enough to share with so I promise you the dispersal stops with me.

--Count Dooku

#20 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:39 PM

I'm liking what I'm hearing so far.  Can't wait until those minor bugs are worked out.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS