• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 darknoj

darknoj

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:12 PM

“Warm Up” - Joust

Standard FFG Joust rules for tournaments. 50 min rounds, four rounds of swiss with a cut to top 4. The potential that the final game will be held the next day just prior to melee tournament or at the bar ;).

When: Thursday Nov 8th 7:00 PM
Where: FFG convention center 1975 Oakcrest Avenue, Suite 10 main floor will rent Mezzanine if more then ten people
Who should I talk to: Darknoj (Jon)
Cost: 10 dollars
Prizes: Winner takes the entries fees (cash) second gets a play mate (Queen of Dragons), other prizes maybe available depending on the generosity of players.

Team (Meta Battle) Tournament

Teams of four are submitted by 8:00 PM Thursday Nov 1st. Two members of each team will play a joust game vs players from each other team. Matches will be assigned randomly and players will have till Saturday at 11:59 PM to complete their match ups. The team that won the most joust matches wins the title of best Meta and all of the entry fees to divide as they see fit.

When: Starting Thursday 7:00 PM Nov 8st when matches are announced and continuing till 11:59 Friday Nov 10th.
Where: anywhere players chose to play but most likely FFG convention center
Who should I talk to: Darknoj (Jon)
Cost: 40 per team which is 10 each.
Prizes: winning team gets entries

If you are interested in attending one of these events please post below so i can get an idea of numbers.

#2 dcdennis

dcdennis

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:25 PM

in for the warmup since i think i only ahve 2 meta folks coming.

#3 mathlete

mathlete

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:21 PM

darknoj said:

Cost: 10 dollars

Prizes: Winner takes the entries fees (cash) second gets a play mate (Queen of Dragons), other prizes maybe available depending on the generosity of players

A $10 entry fee for a chance for a PLAY MATE?  This is the second place prize?  Sweet!  I'm playing for second.  I choose MATT LEY as my play mate!!!

#4 Danigral

Danigral

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

darknoj said:

…second gets a play mate (Queen of Dragons)…

Centerfold HBO stills? 

#5 darknoj

darknoj

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:39 PM

The play mate is a joke from another thread….but i think you all understand. ;)

#6 darknoj

darknoj

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:18 AM

Also anyone can make a team. You dont need to be from the same meta…i.e. find some other guys that only have two people going or have six people going and join up with two of them ;)

#7 darknoj

darknoj

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:45 PM

Have five in so far for the warmup and its early..so i am sure their will be more. If your in town early don't forget to come to the warmup tourny.

#8 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:27 AM

Not to rain on your parade, but you are going to have to host it somewhere else, or FFG could be penalized under MN gambling laws:

Minnesota law makes any "bet" illegal. A "bet" is defined as "a bargain whereby the parties mutually agree to a gain or loss by one to the other of specified money, property or benefit dependent upon chance, although the chance is accompanied by some element of skill." According to this definition, any card game where the participants pay to play, and have a chance to win money, would constitute a "bet" and, therefore, be illegal gambling.

However, the criminal gambling statute creates an exception for "a private, social bet." The important thing to remember about a private social bet is that it cannot be part of "organized, commercialized or systematic gambling." The owner of the location of the social bet cannot derive any profit from the bet, organize regular occasions for such bets, or advertise their occurrence. Potentially, any gambling that occurs in a business establishment could constitute illegal gambling because the owner of the establishment derives the indirect benefit of increased patronage.

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/age/gambling/Pages/faq.aspx

Star Wars LCG: FFG EC Regional 2014 - Top 4; Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion; A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

abUse the Force author on CardGameDB.com

#9 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:20 AM

~I can see a police raid on this warmup event happening.

#10 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:45 AM

Bomb said:

~I can see a police raid on this warmup event happening.

Humor aside, to protect themselves, FFG cannot endorse, encourage, or generally condone gambling on their property. To be respectful to them, and also protect yourselves from any legal hassles, it is simply best to host the warmup somewhere else (i.e., not on the premises of a business). 

Probability of anyone running into legal trouble: quite low. Risks involved: quite high for FFG, low for you. So, to be respectful to FFG, it is better to do it somewhere besides the event center, if you are competing for money. 

Star Wars LCG: FFG EC Regional 2014 - Top 4; Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion; A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

abUse the Force author on CardGameDB.com

#11 dcdennis

dcdennis

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:55 AM

hahahahahahahahahahhahaha

#12 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:46 AM

Then wouldn't all of World's be illegal per that definition?

I really hope no FBI or Minnesota police are reading messages from this forum.  They are getting all kinds of tips!  This should be taken underground.

Guys - the buy-in should not be $15 because that would be gambling.  It should be 15 cookies or candy bars.  First place takes them all.
Wait a minute… will Minnesota Department of Health get involved with that? 

http://www.health.state.mn.us/foodsafety/index.html

Actually that is a double whammy because it would be gambling with property and could involve a health safety issue if the cookies or candy bars give the winner diarrhea.

Don't sell cards to one another at World's unless you plan on charging sales tax and don't forget a receipt and to count it as taxable income on your tax return next spring.

#13 Danigral

Danigral

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:58 AM

Bomb said:

Then wouldn't all of World's be illegal per that definition?

I really hope no FBI or Minnesota police are reading messages from this forum.  They are getting all kinds of tips!  This should be taken underground.

Guys - the buy-in should not be $15 because that would be gambling.  It should be 15 cookies or candy bars.  First place takes them all.
Wait a minute… will Minnesota Department of Health get involved with that? 

http://www.health.state.mn.us/foodsafety/index.html

Actually that is a double whammy because it would be gambling with property and could involve a health safety issue if the cookies or candy bars give the winner diarrhea.

Don't sell cards to one another at World's unless you plan on charging sales tax and don't forget a receipt and to count it as taxable income on your tax return next spring.

How much time did you waste concocting this? 

#14 darknoj

darknoj

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:25 AM

Even if the winner gets in store credit its gambling? Is that not the same as a prize? Would not the tournament it self be gambling under that law?

But if its a problem i will run a entry free event. I will ask the ffg staff before the tournament, if i can give out prizes or not….Either way their will be a "play mate" at least as a prize ;)

#15 HoyaLawya

HoyaLawya

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:52 AM

No need to change tax or give receipts for cards sold. Since selling cards is not a regular activity for you (an individual player) the sake would be considered part of your hobby and not a business sale for profit.

If you do regularly sell cards as a business activity, charge tax, keep records, and deduct inventory costs from sales to determine your profits.

#16 Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr

• Members
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:14 AM

darknoj said:

Either way their will be a "play mate" at least as a prize ;)

~While you're at it assessing the legal ramifications, be sure to check local regulations on prostitution and human trafficking if you want to go through with the whole play mate thing.

#17 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:10 AM

AGoT DC Meta said:

How much time did you waste concocting this? 

Oh… who knows.  Maybe 10 minutes tops.

#18 darknoj

darknoj

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:46 PM

bump; Hope to see whoever is in on thrusday at the side event. ;)

#19 badash56

badash56

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:57 AM

I'll be there Thursday and probably looking to play.  Though I'm a total noob and haven't played a game yet haha.  

#20 Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr

• Members
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:20 PM

badash56 said:

I'll be there Thursday and probably looking to play.  Though I'm a total noob and haven't played a game yet haha.  

Well, props to you. What a way to enter the game in style. ;)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS