• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Beldar1215

Beldar1215

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:19 AM

Hello,

I'm sure I missed this some where, but I can't seem to find the answer. When you are building squads, who do you determine the order that upgrades are picked? Is there actually a rule? I ask because I was palying with a friend and he just started grabbing upgrade cards and putting them with ships. Since some are limited, I thought there must be a way to determine how these where picked by the players.

Beldar

#2 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:32 AM

Beldar1215 said:

Hello,

I'm sure I missed this some where, but I can't seem to find the answer. When you are building squads, who do you determine the order that upgrades are picked? Is there actually a rule? I ask because I was palying with a friend and he just started grabbing upgrade cards and putting them with ships. Since some are limited, I thought there must be a way to determine how these where picked by the players.

Beldar

Each player is expected to bring their own upgrade cards, models, etc.  The game assumes that the players aren't both building from the same pool of stuff.  You'll need to come up with your own rule for that.

#3 Beldar1215

Beldar1215

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:35 AM

Excellent. Thanks for the reply. I did pre-order a second starter, so I think this will solve the problem.

Beldar

#4 spacemonkeymafia

spacemonkeymafia

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:55 PM

Beldar1215 said:

Excellent. Thanks for the reply. I did pre-order a second starter, so I think this will solve the problem.

Beldar

Actually it says in the rules that if you're just using the core set, the imperial player chooses upgrades first in a 31 point game.

#5 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:18 PM

spacemonkeymafia said:

Beldar1215 said:

Beldar

Actually it says in the rules that if you're just using the core set, the imperial player chooses upgrades first in a 31 point game.

I'm looking through the rules, but I don't see that anywhere. What page should I be looking at?

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#6 R2D2

R2D2

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:59 PM

Budgernaut said:

spacemonkeymafia said:

Beldar1215 said:

Beldar

I'm looking through the rules, but I don't see that anywhere. What page should I be looking at?

Page 18 "initiative whilst squad building" seems to imply what Beldar says…

#7 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:46 AM

R2D2 said:

Budgernaut said:

spacemonkeymafia said:

Beldar1215 said:

Beldar

Page 18 "initiative whilst squad building" seems to imply what Beldar says…

No, no, no, no, no. That's poorly worded. They don't mean "initiative when in the middle of squad building" what they mean is "initiative when using squad building rules." That statement is meant to clarify that in a match where squad building rules are used, the Imperial player does not automatically get initiative, but the player with the lowest squad points. It makes no sense to me to tally up your fleet points to see who gets which upgrade. I'm sure that the issue the OP has  is not one FFG considered because, as was mentioned previously, each player is expected to bring their own ships, cards, and accessories.

Now, I agree you could create a squad-building-initiative system. It could work like how you interpreted the sentence from the rules. First, everyone chooses ships. Then, the player with the lowest total chooses an upgrade. Now you compare squad totals again. The lowest point player chooses another upgrade. Alternatively, you just take turns after the first player chooses an upgrade. But I repeat: I do not think this is what the designer had in mind.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#8 Zembar_

Zembar_

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:55 AM

Page 21, under "Squad Building In Missions":

"The Imperial player chooses first from the available Upgrade cards."

#9 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:29 AM

Zembar_ said:

Grr! You beat me to it! I saw that when I was on the bus this morning and just logged on to post that.

EDIT: And I say that all in jest. I'm not really upset that you posted that before me.

--Count Dooku

#10 Rezerection

Rezerection

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:50 AM

Budgernaut said:

Zembar_ said:

Grr! You beat me to it! I saw that when I was on the bus this morning and just logged on to post that.

EDIT: And I say that all in jest. I'm not really upset that you posted that before me.

Hahaha thank you for that clarification, I was outraged at first when I thought you were actually angry

#11 R2D2

R2D2

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:11 AM

it could be (and is being  ) argued that this only applies to the specific missions outlined in the rule book. Otherwise why would it be titled "squad building in MISSIONS"? and not merely be under the "advanced squad bulding" tules?

#12 DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:23 AM

Two issues seem to be in conflict here.

For tournaments, you gotta bring everything your list uses.  So long as you have the cards in the quantities you need, you're golden.  There is no need for any upgrade priority rules.

But if both players are building their lists from the same pool of cards/models then you're going to need to develop some kind of priority system of who gets first pick.  I see why the Imps are given preference, since all they can ever take are elite skills, if the Reb pilot swipes them, it leaves the Imps out of luck.  Rebels can take torpedoes and droids and in the case of Y-Wings, turrets.  So they can fill out their points with those items.  Imps just don't have those options.  While TIE Advanced has access to Missiles, they're like Y-Wings in that there's no competition for those secondary weapons on the opposing side.

So long as there are limited numbers of Elite Skill upgrade cards, the imps are at a disadvantage unless they get first swipe at them.

-DavicusPrime

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS