Jump to content



Photo

[SOLVED] Exposed Crads - Always Exposed?


  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 booored

booored

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:31 AM

Once a card is exposed to the runner… may they look at the card at will, or do they need to remember  it? If so are player aids allowed (like a pad to write this down)

 

--Booored


"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#2 Brad Harrington

Brad Harrington

    Member

  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:39 AM

No you cannot look at the card at will afterwards since that is "exposing" the card again and you can only expose the card when an action allows you to.

Notes on what cards are exposed are perfectly legal. Of course, if you expose a card in their HQ, they can always rearrange their hand when you are done :)

 



#3 booored

booored

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:51 AM

Brad Harrington said:

No you cannot look at the card at will afterwards since that is "exposing" the card again and you can only expose the card when an action allows you to.

Notes on what cards are exposed are perfectly legal. Of course, if you expose a card in their HQ, they can always rearrange their hand when you are done :)

 

Thanks! Yeah I figured as much.. but nice to know for certain.


"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#4 Griffonstone

Griffonstone

    Member

  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:21 AM

 But can you still aids such as notepad? Or are you supposed to keep it in mind?



#5 Khudzlin

Khudzlin

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:35 AM

Taking notes is usually not allowed in this type of game (it disrupts the game a lot). You have to remember things.



#6 Ariston

Ariston

    Member

  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:40 AM

Griffonstone said:

 

 But can you still aids such as notepad? Or are you supposed to keep it in mind?

 

 

While the current floor rules say nothing about it, most customizable card games do not allow taking notes on specific cards and so forth; part of the reason is to make memory part of the skill–set, the other reason is due to time— matches would become unbearably long (especially in NR, where cards are so often revealed as part of the game's core mechanics) if players were taking notes on every card exposed to them.

Having been a TO in other games, if it were legal and a player was taking notes on every card they saw, I would be likely to fault them for stalling if the match went to time, as it is an unnecessary action.



#7 jhaelen

jhaelen

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:29 PM

Ariston said:

 

Having been a TO in other games, if it were legal and a player was taking notes on every card they saw, I would be likely to fault them for stalling if the match went to time, as it is an unnecessary action.

 

I think, I'd just make a photo of revealed cards, that takes no time at all 

 

Revealed cards not staying revealed is about the only change from the CCG that I definitely don't like.

My memory isn't very good, unfortunately; as a Corp player I have to look at my cards every other turn, otherwise I forget what I put down and more importantly what the rez cost of the cards was.

I mean, are we supposed to play Memory, or is this Netrunner?



#8 booored

booored

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:44 AM

I'm pretty sure you can peak at the cards as corp…. and I'm not sure there is anything as a "corp" player.. as a competition is in fact only 2 games and you have to play both sides, and in a case of a tie you use agenda points total.


"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#9 Ariston

Ariston

    Member

  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:00 PM

jhaelen said:

 

My memory isn't very good, unfortunately; as a Corp player I have to look at my cards every other turn, otherwise I forget what I put down and more importantly what the rez cost of the cards was.

I mean, are we supposed to play Memory, or is this Netrunner?

 

 

The question was not about cards you've laid face down as a Corp player, like your ICE or Agendas.



#10 Paul Grogan

Paul Grogan

    Member

  • Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:50 PM

I'm pretty sure the rules say that when you expose something, you show it, then flip it back.

If you like, what we used to do is to leave these cards face up, but put a marker over the rez cost to show that it isnt rezzed yet, just revealed.



#11 jhaelen

jhaelen

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:36 PM

Ariston said:

The question was not about cards you've laid face down as a Corp player, like your ICE or Agendas.
I know ^^

I was just trying to point out that I find it hard to recall even my own cards after a few turns, let alone my opponent's. Why did FFG decide to change the rule about exposed cards? In the CCG every card exposed by the Runner stayed face-up and was marked using a token to remind the players that it wasn't rezzed yet.

It's a bad change because it detracts from what the game is about. It also definitely makes card exposure much less useful than it used to be. Since I never felt it was overpowered in the CCG I'd really like to know the reason for this change.



#12 db0

db0

    Member

  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:08 PM

jhaelen said:

Ariston said:

Since I never felt it was overpowered in the CCG I'd really like to know the reason for this change.

Less clutter.



#13 booored

booored

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:11 AM

the clutter is bad.. we use dice instead of the chits for credits and use card taps on refilling cards… just to make teh table easier to read


"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#14 Mikko Leho

Mikko Leho

    Member

  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:47 AM

jhaelen said:

Why did FFG decide to change the rule about exposed cards? In the CCG every card exposed by the Runner stayed face-up and was marked using a token to remind the players that it wasn't rezzed yet.

I do not know designers' intention for this, but me and couple a friends decided to house rule the original game similarly when we dug up the old cards few weeks ago. The new rules were not online at the time, but when we going through to rules leaving cards revealed seemed like too much hassle and decided to go show-and-then-hide route.



#15 radiskull

radiskull

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:29 AM

 Pretty sure the designer's intention was that "face up and unrezzed and thus requiring a token" was more complicated than "face up = rezzed, face down = unrezzed".



#16 Rashley

Rashley

    Member

  • Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:48 PM

In the old game you turned an exposed card round to face the Runner player if exposed and not rezzed.  This new rule of not keeping exposed cards exposed does weaken this effect a bit, but not enough to spoil the game.  The biggest spoiled rule in my opinion is the loss of 'Trace Bluffing' with the hidden 'In the Hand' bidding removed.  Not a big factor at present, but with the Genesis boosters increasing 'Tracing' it will have a bigger impact.

On the whole it is a worthy effort to bring back this classic, but I somehow miss the old colour.  Blue Agendas - Green Nodes etc.  Probably just nostalgic reminiscings of an old man.  Cheers!






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS