SSU Balance in Warfare?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PeterClark

PeterClark

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:08 AM

Over in the Tactics forum there are people talking about the SSU forces being too weak. Is this a Tactics problem, or does this apply to Warfare too?

In our games of Tactics we came to agree, that the allies are inferior to the axis as well but in Warfare they seem to be very nicely balanced so far.

I would not like to spend a lot of money on SSU troops if they are depressing to play, even though i find them too be very cool. 

#2 Dreachon

Dreachon

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:34 AM

Well we should keep in mind that the SSU doesn't yet posses all the units to allow them to play on euql turf with the axis and allies, I think we will see enough when operation Hades get's released and the SSU will get their own top tier armour.

#3 Dakkon426

Dakkon426

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:44 AM

The ssu is great provided you know how to use them. the only thing they are really lacking is a heavy tank and a bit of anti armor punch.

#4 PeterClark

PeterClark

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:40 PM

Well sounds like, if my opponent isn't fielding the superheavies, which he isn't, the SSU should make for a nice game against the allies.

I guess the attack heli will be a good option, because the allies are lacking a bit of anti air power as it seems to me. 

#5 deedob

deedob

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:48 AM

I recently got the SSU walker transport (from Dust Models, as it's not currently sold by FFG).

The aero walker that comes with it is the unit the SSU is lacking for Dust Tactics. It's the first SSU unit which has some good anti-walker weapons. It has the best artillery of all the factions and the best anti-walker configuration of all the factions.

I messed around using Red Yana in the aero KV with the anti-walker guns. She dropped near a fireball and unleashed her guns on it, using Yana's fighting spirit skill.

The Aero / Red Yana combo utterly crippled the fireball in a single shot. Granted, the combo cost over 100 points to field so it should be powerful… but it proves the SSU have a definite fighting chance even without heavy walkers.

Their main problems is that the three most critical units for the SSU were always:

- The Aero KV / Walker transport
- The Gunship
- The hero pack

And those are the exact three boxes which have seen their release delayed by several months…

As for Dust Warfare, the SSU are about even, even without the aero KV, heroes or gunship. Dust Warfare prevents your opponent from fielding too many walkers against them so their lack of anti-walker weapons is less of a concern. The troop transport is critical to their winning however.
They are lacking in both speed and range. The allies can outmaneuver them or easilly stay out of range. The axis can mow them from long range before they have a chance to get close… Using the troop transport helicopter, can can disrupt the axis and allies forces and distract them significantly while your main slower troops close the range. The axis and allies focus is almost always on the immediate threat, which is the transport. This makes it much easier to bring the infantry and slow KVs into range.

The SSU molotov cocktails are also great anti-walker weapons. This is something they don't have in Tactics. Dropping a molotov-equipped squad behind a heavy walker with the troop transport will damage significantly the heavy… with a little luck…

#6 Warboss Krag

Warboss Krag

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:05 AM

Since we play with terrain that doesn't permit WWI/East Front-style charges across open terrain dominated by heavy machineguns and artillery, the SSU has been tolerably effective, without a helicopter in sight or hearing. Something about being able to field a hero who's also a heavy unit who's also an HQ (!) - honestly, Koshka is the ****. Also, when the Sovs get close, the Germans and Americans (I refuse to use terms 'axis and allies' because there are damned few allies to be seen, and no other 'axis' forces available. Maybe, when I start seeing Foreign Legion Cogs, er, legionaires, being fielded, I'll start calling them 'allies') get very nervous, because the average Sov battle squad produces 6 dice of attack at 16" (as compared to 7 for other faction squads), and 18 dice at 12"! Only the Americans can match this with their UGLs, and those require reloading. And at 6", a Sov battle squad produces another 5 dice, and nerfs cover, with grenade use. So, if you let a Sov squad get close, it produces 23 attack dice, for 20 points. Not shabby.

I may have to get a troop chopper just to deploy a unit of troops in a special platoon of Koshka (with Gra'ma), a battle squad with Airborne, a transport chopper, and another platoon having the vehicle transport chopper and Little Suit of Mortars, simply to drop said squad and Koshka behind enemy lines to do massive damage.

#7 Warboss Krag

Warboss Krag

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:35 AM

Oh fooey. Looking at the rules more closely, it seems I can't make Gran'Ma an airborne unit. Rats.

#8 SolennelBern

SolennelBern

• Members
  • 968 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:45 AM

deedob said:

I recently got the SSU walker transport (from Dust Models, as it's not currently sold by FFG).

The aero walker that comes with it is the unit the SSU is lacking for Dust Tactics. It's the first SSU unit which has some good anti-walker weapons. It has the best artillery of all the factions and the best anti-walker configuration of all the factions.

I messed around using Red Yana in the aero KV with the anti-walker guns. She dropped near a fireball and unleashed her guns on it, using Yana's fighting spirit skill.

The Aero / Red Yana combo utterly crippled the fireball in a single shot. Granted, the combo cost over 100 points to field so it should be powerful… but it proves the SSU have a definite fighting chance even without heavy walkers.

Their main problems is that the three most critical units for the SSU were always:

- The Aero KV / Walker transport
- The Gunship
- The hero pack

And those are the exact three boxes which have seen their release delayed by several months…

As for Dust Warfare, the SSU are about even, even without the aero KV, heroes or gunship. Dust Warfare prevents your opponent from fielding too many walkers against them so their lack of anti-walker weapons is less of a concern. The troop transport is critical to their winning however.
They are lacking in both speed and range. The allies can outmaneuver them or easilly stay out of range. The axis can mow them from long range before they have a chance to get close… Using the troop transport helicopter, can can disrupt the axis and allies forces and distract them significantly while your main slower troops close the range. The axis and allies focus is almost always on the immediate threat, which is the transport. This makes it much easier to bring the infantry and slow KVs into range.

The SSU molotov cocktails are also great anti-walker weapons. This is something they don't have in Tactics. Dropping a molotov-equipped squad behind a heavy walker with the troop transport will damage significantly the heavy… with a little luck…

Question: How can you use Red Yana "in" an Aero KV if Yanan don't have the Pilot skill?

EDIT: Lol it's for Warfare, my bad :P

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS