#1 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,258 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:41 AM

Hi folks!

A couple of questions emerged during my latest games:

a) How do you handle the interaction Joey the Rat & Yibb? In a 4 investigator game, in order to remove a doomer from Yibb's doom track, do you need 9 (4*2+1) or 10 [(4+1)*2] successes?

b) Do headlines influence investigators in OWs? Some of the MH Headlines are quite nasty (Strange sleep disorder baffles doctors! for instance). Since Environments rarely affect OWs, I don't think a Headline can affect investigators in OWs, but a feedback from the community is really welcome :-)

JULIA, still on vacation :-)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#2 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:07 PM

Hello, Julia, my friend!

Here's my interpretation of b).  Headlines or Environments never affect Investigators in the Other World.  For instance, "Pick Pocket Ring at Large" ~ really?

Hope you're still enjoying your vacation!

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#3 Gamemaster

Gamemaster

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:56 PM

For Yibb and Joey in play with 4 players, you would need 9 successes to remove each doom token.

As for Environments and Headlines affecting Investigators in the Other Worlds, I would say they do except the cards that say "in Arkham."  Other cards would not affect the Other Worlds anyway such as those that say you have more or less movement points.

As for the pickpocketer at large, thematically, it does not necessarily mean the pickpocketer is with you in the Other Worlds.  It could mean that your character just now realized he/she is missing an Item.  Same thing while you are floating in Lost in Time and Space.  "Oh look. [checking pockets] My Sedanette is gone!"

#4 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 643 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:32 AM

Reminds me of the character Pockets from The Perils of Penelope Pitstop. (Now that's showing my age!)

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

#5 jgt7771

jgt7771

Saving the world from cosmic evil since 2006

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:12 AM

Julia said:

a) How do you handle the interaction Joey the Rat & Yibb? In a 4 investigator game, in order to remove a doomer from Yibb's doom track, do you need 9 (4*2+1) or 10 [(4+1)*2] successes?

b) Do headlines influence investigators in OWs? Some of the MH Headlines are quite nasty (Strange sleep disorder baffles doctors! for instance). Since Environments rarely affect OWs, I don't think a Headline can affect investigators in OWs, but a feedback from the community is really welcome

a) X=number of players per doom token.  Yibb makes that 2X; Joey adds one more.  2X+1.

b) Ah, the old "how do the cops/lawyers find me in the Abyss" question.  We are all creative and/or clever enough to come up with a story to explain any number of wacky discrepancies between reality and Arkham Horror: "Maybe Cthulhu hates whiskey too!"  So it comes down to, did the card say "In Arkham" or not?  If it did not, then the effects affect your investigator regardless of his or her earthbound status.

And for a "creative" answer: your Investigator still needs to sleep, even on Yuggoth or in another dimension.  If the Dreamlands really exist, couldn't you get to it from anywhere you happened to close your eyes?

What was that noise?

#6 parkrrrr

parkrrrr

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:05 AM

I'm going to disagree with everyone else on (a) and say that the way I read it, you need either 8 or 10 successes in a 4-player game. While Yibb's card does explicitly say that she doubles the number of successes you need, I read that as saying that each hit is half as effective. I see Joey as sort of a virtual investigator who exists solely for purposes of determining the AO's total hit points. That being the case, I say you should apply Joey's effect first, then Yibb's.

I say "either 8 or 10" because Yibb's card does say "usual number." You could argue that Joey is unusual, so Yibb's power ignores him entirely. But if I were playing it, I'd go with 10.

#7 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,258 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:19 AM

Hi everybody!

first of all, thanks for the answers :-)

Yeah, I've never considered Headlines to be able to influence what's going on in the OW. My doubts arose because some of the Headlines from MH are kinda different from the usual Headlines, since they interact directly with OWs. Glad to hear that the general consensus is "keep on playing as we've always done" ::laughter::

As for Joey… technically, I don't see anything that could address to one or another formula. I guess I'd go with Jgt and the Gamemaster (9 successes / doom token seems already a lot)

@ Professor: thx, everything's going well :-) And I finally have some time for playing Arkham. Yikes!

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#8 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:37 PM

@ Julia ~ I just received the "Launch" when you're ready e-mail from the KS staff!

The Professor

#9 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,258 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:51 AM

The Professor said:

@ Julia ~ I just received the "Launch" when you're ready e-mail from the KS staff!

E-mail me whenever you want! Can't wait to see it :-)))

#10 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:14 AM

I'll do so tonight, my friend!

The Professor

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS