Photo

Quick question regarding character creation.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 flyndad

flyndad

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:14 AM

When creating an apprentice wizard character, can a non-trained "skill" have a specialization? More specifically, can a starting Grey wizard specialize in Weapon skill if it isn't trained? <specialization - Hand Weapons>

When creating I choose 4 skills and 2 specializations,…. Skills were: Channeling, Spellcasting, Discipline, and Observation. Specializations were: Rank 1 spells and can I then specialize in Hand Weapons?

Thanks for the help,… 

#2 k7e9

k7e9

• Members
  • 843 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:49 AM

No, I believe that you must choose a specialization from one of the skills you trained during creation in the RAW. I am not 100% certain though, and my books aren't here. Certainly, a GM might allow characters to specialize in an untrained skill (even a skill outside of the career skills), I don't view it as overpowered but a rather a good way to differentiate character. I'd probably allow it, even thought I'm quite certain that the RAW doesn't.

A risk might be that characters start picking specializations that are "useful", for example a character moving into assassin might purchase specializations in weapon and/or ballistic skill prior to moving into that career (since their career ability depends on the character beeing specialized ranged and/or close combat weapons), even if their career doesn't have the corresponding skills. If coming from a thief career previously, the assassin might not had access to those skills prior to moving into the career. But it feels like a minor "risk"…

#3 thePREdiger

thePREdiger

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:22 PM

the advanced skills Spellcasting and Channeling are free for any wizards at character creation.

(it's well hidden in one of the books - I think Winds of Magic)

You can add them to your skill list as if they were basic skills like Observation.

#4 gruntl

gruntl

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:19 PM

They are acquired for free, not trained. I guess flyndad meant that he trained in Spellcasting for one of his skill choices.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS