An Idea to Satisfy Every Star Wars Fan

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gargamel

Gargamel

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:24 AM

I'm sure this is what FFG already has in the works, but I see a lot of people arguing over original trilogy vs. prequels, vs co-op vs. head to head, etc.

First, take a few things into account.  The 2 biggest things that are pushing the Star Wars franchise right now are the Clone Wars cartoon series.  And the release of the 6 films in 3D.  Earlier this year was Episode 1 in 3D and there was a lot of Episode 1 related merchandise suddenly in stores again.  Action figures, Lego sets, etc.  

Now, FFG is dealing with this license for the first time, and making their first products in their lines be prequel trilogy based would not endear them to the masses very well or get the people most likely to check out their games very interested.  So, classic trilogy for the win.  

FFG has the rights to miniature, card based games and RPG's.  Seems they can't make board games, so they might as well take the areas they can make games in and completely explore them.  (I'll be stunned if we only ever get one LCG out of them)

So with all that said, imagine if  you will….

Star Wars: The Card Game, followed by Star Wars - The Clone Wars: The Card Game.  The Clone Wars game is completely self contained with it's own starter set, yet the rules can allow you to go head to head with factions from the first game.  Hate the prequels?  Then nobody has to get chocolate in your peanut butter.  

Same goes for the Star Wars: X-Wing game.  Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter could come out next year to coincide with Episode 2: 3D and they can release new ships to support both games (that just happen to be completely compatible with each other.)

ALSO, no reason why we can't later see a Star Wars card game that is completely co-op with new rules and is entirely NOT compatible with the current LCG.  Dominion is not an LCG, yet there are TONS of cards for it.  Imagine a Star Wars Co-op Deckbuilder and each expansion was a different planet.  So you could have the Hoth set with wampas and snow speeders and AT-AT's and probe droids.  Pure awesome.

#2 oDESGOSTO

oDESGOSTO

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:28 AM

I would sell my house for a Star Wars: Podracer game!!1

#3 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:37 AM

To follow up on the miniatures-game-named-after-a-videogame "trend" set by Star Wars: X-Wing, wouldn't calling them Star Wars: Starfighter and Star Wars: Racer respectively be neater? Yes, I know Jedi Starfighter was its own game, but it was also very much a sequel to Starfighter.

P.S. All three of these games were amazing, and adapting them for miniatures play would demand rich tabletop mechanics to do them justice.

P.P.S. Jedi Starfighter set me up to expect way more from Attack of the Clones than I probably should have.

#4 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 406 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:16 AM

MarthWMaster said:

P.P.S. Jedi Starfighter set me up to expect way more from Attack of the Clones than I probably should have.

I think many of us expected more out of Attack of the Clones

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-ii-attack-of-the-clones/

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS