Photo

Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate web supplement…

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:01 AM

Have at it kids!

As it turns out most of the stuff in there is stuff I wrote, so it's nice to see it get released! 

Lots of new origin worlds, lots more wargear, an NPC and some more background. Enjoy!

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#2 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:13 AM

Just awesome! Thanks!

#3 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:13 AM

While I am normally found in the camp of the complainers (and some say: "haters") I want to thank FFG for this addition. I skimmed it and it looks really nicely… although I do not know why a regular (reads: non-tech-priest) inhabitant of Uziel (Heterodyn Station) should have FORBIDDEN Lore (Mechanicus)

I especially like that the rules (and a price!) for vat-grown muscle implants are provided (now I can decide what of the Heavies the PC face should have one or where it would be to expensive). The free re-production of the ForgeWorld background from IH is a nice and fair treat and the scores of possible forge world origins is really neat.

…and the first time I read about "Lacuna Dust" being smuggled I thought to myself "damn…and again no price here". Thanks !

#4 Felenis

Felenis

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:24 AM

This makes me very happy :D

I'm gonna surprise the crap out of my players with mole mortars. And Nuke grenades? Awesome

Though I'm gonna have to keep people from noticing the Opus Macharius origin. Bulging Biceps at level 1? Uh oh

#5 Manyfist

Manyfist

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:08 PM

When's the Errata due out?

#6 TorogTarkdacil812

TorogTarkdacil812

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:17 PM

Now I am going to paraphrase Jay from Dogma: " I would be realy happy if older 40kRPG supplemets would have similiar bonus online content and that we will get free online Titanicum RPG" *stares at the FFG frontpage*

There is nothing as good as seeing rebel scum running out of a cave full of gas, right into the blasters of your battalion-–well, except sunrises, but for those you have to get up early.

#7 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:08 PM

Cool! I haven't read it yet (pdfs are hellaslow on my laptop, so I'll have to print out a hard copy to be able to use it), but, between this and the supplemental Dark Eldar pdf for Rogue Trader, I must say I'm impressed with FFG going the extra mile for the fans.

#8 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:59 PM

Kudos to FFG for putting out all this great content. This is why we love you guys.

Looking forward to the Navis Primer and whatever waits beyond!

My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

#9 Darth Smeg

Darth Smeg

Lord Nitpicker

• Members
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:43 PM

Awesome! Good to see Cranial Armour in DH, but is there a reason why Subskin Armour for the rest of the body ain't in there too?

Tarald - The Dark Lord of Smeg

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on

My House Rules for using Only War (and more) for Dark Heresy games

#10 TorogTarkdacil812

TorogTarkdacil812

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:47 AM

I am considering Opus Macharius to be a homeworld of my Only War regiment (I hope there are more precedents for Guard forgeworld-raised regiments other than Urdesh from Gaunt´s Ghosts). But I love the way each forgeworld is slightly different origin, any chance that we will get retroactive rules on all worlds from Blood of Martyrs and Book of Judgement (of coure I will be houseruling them, but official stuff is well, official:)).

Cataclysmus device also gives a good idea for rules of some ugly hard radiation  and even rest of the equipment is realy cool.

I also wonder, what does DHP01 as a file name means. I kinda hope, that soon we will get some DHP02, 03…

There is nothing as good as seeing rebel scum running out of a cave full of gas, right into the blasters of your battalion-–well, except sunrises, but for those you have to get up early.

#11 signoftheserpent

signoftheserpent

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:44 AM

I suppose a pdf is better than nothing (though it's useless to me as i have no laptop or tablet).

But for heaven's sake, tell the idiot in charge of this project that material like this should never have been left out. This beggars belief, even for ffg! I'm absolutely gobsmacked at this level of decision making. Absolutely staggering incompetence.

Now I hear there's a need for errata?!?

#12 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:17 AM

signoftheserpent said:

But for heaven's sake, tell the idiot in charge (…)

Any professional project has a limit. Not in the artistic or creative side but in pages. Something always ends up left out.

And even as NOT being the one who was in charge (or even remotely attached) of the project I say you missed good style & net-ettiquette entirely.

#13 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

• Members
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:07 AM

signoftheserpent said:

But for heaven's sake, tell the idiot in charge of this project that material like this should never have been left out. This beggars belief, even for ffg! I'm absolutely gobsmacked at this level of decision making. Absolutely staggering incompetence.

As has been explained to you on multiple occasions by writers, play-testers and even general members of these forums - books have page limits, and not everything fits into a single book.

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#14 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

• Members
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:38 PM

Gregorius21778 said:

Any professional project has a limit. Not in the artistic or creative side but in pages. Something always ends up left out.

And having these little extra supplements is a good thing for the game, and for a variety of reasons:

1. It means that when good material for a book gets written that doesn't quite fit into the page-limit, it can still see the light of day.
2. Players get more options to use, expanding the scope/depth of the games they can run.
3. It could give a good taste of what's in the book-proper, allowing those that haven't seen it yet to get an idea of what the book's about and if they like it.
4. Free stuff like this is always cool, even if it's just flavour text, a map or a timeline!
5. Us writers get the warm fuzzy feeling that all that extra stuff we wrote didn't go to waste.

Catalyst has been doing similar things for a while now, releasing PDF 'supplementals' for a number of their major book releases. Their's are paid releases though as they're part of their game PDF line, but the goal is largely the same - to get more information to the players, and it's often information that there simply wasn't room for in the main book.

BYE

#15 signoftheserpent

signoftheserpent

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:25 PM

Gregorius21778 said:

signoftheserpent said:

But for heaven's sake, tell the idiot in charge (…)

And even as NOT being the one who was in charge (or even remotely attached) of the project I say you missed good style & net-ettiquette entirely.

None of what you say changes anything.

13 pages could easily have been found by judicious editing or even removal of the adventure, which is the least important aspect of the book. How much more material was cut that would be more useful than an adventure that, if nothing else, could have been offered on the web instead.

#16 signoftheserpent

signoftheserpent

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:29 PM

H.B.M.C. said:

Gregorius21778 said:

And having these little extra supplements is a good thing for the game, and for a variety of reasons:

1. It means that when good material for a book gets written that doesn't quite fit into the page-limit, it can still see the light of day.
2. Players get more options to use, expanding the scope/depth of the games they can run.
3. It could give a good taste of what's in the book-proper, allowing those that haven't seen it yet to get an idea of what the book's about and if they like it.
4. Free stuff like this is always cool, even if it's just flavour text, a map or a timeline!
5. Us writers get the warm fuzzy feeling that all that extra stuff we wrote didn't go to waste.

Catalyst has been doing similar things for a while now, releasing PDF 'supplementals' for a number of their major book releases. Their's are paid releases though as they're part of their game PDF line, but the goal is largely the same - to get more information to the players, and it's often information that there simply wasn't room for in the main book.

BYE

These extras are good in the sense they contain useful material that is better in the public domain than not being released at all. But that isn't the point.

It also means that in order to print the material out, in full colour (the same as the book) more money has to be spent. We don't all have access to printers or ipads.

I find it absolutely staggering that people argue in favour of excising valid and useful material in favour of anything else. FFG's editorial team are clearly incompetent, and that's without getting into the mistakes (why is the Lathe system called the Pondus Impare system in one place, talking about when it was first founded, and then called the Sentanimus system later on? Needless confusion. Never mind any real mechanical mistakes)

#17 Darth Smeg

Darth Smeg

Lord Nitpicker

• Members
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:52 PM

Needless confusion is one of the cornerstones of the Imperium of Man. And as for "least important" and "higher quality"… horses for courses. Not everyone would agree with your assessment of these priorities, and with a book like this you want to cater to as broad an audience as possible.

Your rant is needlessly sharp and insulting, though you are certainly entitled to your opinions on the matter.

There will always be "leftover" material from editing, and I for one applaud the decisions to reclaim value from these cuts and the generosity of FFG in a) giving it away for free instead of saving it for future publications, and b) spending resources on editing and formatting it for professional release.

Of course I would prefer to have it all in the book, but that just isn't possible in a print-situation where page count is restricted by binding.

On a finishing note, I'd like to ask H.B.M.C (who I understand wrote this, or at least part of this) if the note about implant quality affecting AP value for the cranial armour is something that applies to the Subskin armour as well :)

#18 signoftheserpent

signoftheserpent

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:08 AM

Darth Smeg said:

Needless confusion is one of the cornerstones of the Imperium of Man. And as for "least important" and "higher quality"… horses for courses. Not everyone would agree with your assessment of these priorities, and with a book like this you want to cater to as broad an audience as possible.

Your rant is needlessly sharp and insulting, though you are certainly entitled to your opinions on the matter.

There will always be "leftover" material from editing, and I for one applaud the decisions to reclaim value from these cuts and the generosity of FFG in a) giving it away for free instead of saving it for future publications, and b) spending resources on editing and formatting it for professional release.

Of course I would prefer to have it all in the book, but that just isn't possible in a print-situation where page count is restricted by binding.

On a finishing note, I'd like to ask H.B.M.C (who I understand wrote this, or at least part of this) if the note about implant quality affecting AP value for the cranial armour is something that applies to the Subskin armour as well :)

Sorry but this is nonsense. You cannot objectively argue, regardless of the finished quality, that rules for LAthe World origins trumps an adventure. This is simply ridiculous.

#19 Darth Smeg

Darth Smeg

Lord Nitpicker

• Members
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:21 AM

In your, not so humble, but still very personal, opinion.

You might prefer origins to an adventure, others might be more interested in adventures. It's all subjective, and your statements about what is and isn't nonsense and/or ridiculous is no more objective than any other opinion about what should and shouldn't be included.

#20 Grinnenstadt

Grinnenstadt

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:56 AM

In the GrimDark of the FFG Forums, there is only (Flame) WAR!!!

#1. I like free stuff.

#2. I did find a LOT of confusion with all Forge Worlds in the Calixis Sector NOW being referred to as Lathe Worlds. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS