Force Packs

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Dietcokeofevil

Dietcokeofevil

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:28 PM

Has anyone put any thought into what the distribution for the force packs would be?

Figure if they stick with the 60 cards per force pack, as they have been doing with the other LCG.. my guess would be that there would be the following array of pods.

Rebel Pod 1

Duplicate of Rebel Pod 1

Rebel Pod 2

Duplicate of Rebel Pod 2

Rebel Pod 3 (This pod would be limited to 1 per deck)

Then a similiar spred for the Empire cards.. What do you all think?

#2 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:49 PM

Yeah, I think something like that seems reasonable. Only instead of Rebel and Empire, I'd call it light and dark to clarify that it could be 2x Jedi, 2x Rebel, 2x Empire, 2x Sith, and then 1x of something and 1x of something else (just as an example). Having 6 factions is going to make it trickier to keep things balanced.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#3 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:25 PM

Each pack of 60 cards wouldn't need to have a perfectly even spread.  Remember, each pack of 60 is actually part of a larger cycle of 6 packs that are all connected thematically and mechanically, so think of it more as 360 cards.  It's not like having the first pack weigh more heavily for the Imperial Navy will cause some kind of meta game upset, if the next pack is just around the corner.

Unless of course the first pack is a Death Star type Objective card, and the Attack Run event won't release until the end of the cycle…

#4 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:42 PM

Yeah, that's true. It's just, I'm really obsessed with equality and even distributions. That's one thing that drove me crazy about LotR: the distribution of heroes in different spheres is never even. One sphere always gets the shaft. I'd really like for these factions to be evenly distributed within each cycle, but I'm not holding my breath.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#5 Aahzmandius_Karrde

Aahzmandius_Karrde

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:31 AM

Budgernaut said:

Yeah, that's true. It's just, I'm really obsessed with equality and even distributions. That's one thing that drove me crazy about LotR: the distribution of heroes in different spheres is never even. One sphere always gets the shaft. I'd really like for these factions to be evenly distributed within each cycle, but I'm not holding my breath.

The problem is even if the first cycle is perfectly balanced card wise the meta will screw that up and it will require the next cycle to skew off the "strongest" faction.  Thankfully it's a "Living" game and doesn't have to stagnate on the meta of the day.

Welcome to the FFG Star Wars RPG Index 

#6 Jvirtue55

Jvirtue55

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:20 AM

Also dont forget there are some unfactioned cards so that could be part of it too 60 cards 6 factions so that looks like 1 objective from each faction to me would be an easy way to sort it out

#7 Jvirtue55

Jvirtue55

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:38 AM

How do you think it will be sorted out

Will there be 6"Force Packs" per film or will they break it down even more like Jabbas Palace and Battle or Endor for the Return of The Jedi and its easy to do that with each movie

#8 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:31 AM

They will likely break it down more than by movies to give themselves more use out of the material they have from the movies.

#9 Jvirtue55

Jvirtue55

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:03 AM

So if you were going to break down each movie into like three blocks what would you do

Star Wars

Tatoween

?

Deathstar

Empire Strikes Back

Hoth

Degaba

Cloud City

Return of the Jedi

Jabbas Palace

Battle for Endor

Deathstar II

Thats my idea

#10 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:29 AM

Jvirtue55 said:

So if you were going to break down each movie into like three blocks what would you do

Star Wars

Tatoween

?

Deathstar

Empire Strikes Back

Hoth

Degaba

Cloud City

Return of the Jedi

Jabbas Palace

Battle for Endor

Deathstar II

Thats my idea

Pretty much, but Star Wars would be Tatooine, Death Star (ie-Rescue the Princess shenanigans), Battle of Yavin (blow up the Death Star, etc) by that breakdown.

#11 Keggy

Keggy

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:25 AM

Wouldn't there be ten pods in a pack?  Ten 6 card pods?

I'm thinking 2 copies of five new pods.

#12 alpha5099

alpha5099

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

We know that some pods can only be included once per deck, so sometimes there'll need to be a least a few of those singleton pods. Hard to say at this point how common One Per Objective Deck pods will be though, so who knows.

If they are common, then four pairs of pods and two singleton pods might be standard. If they're less common, five pairs of pods might be the norm with packs including singletons infrequently.

#13 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:06 AM

Other LCGs do sometimes include cards in their expansion packs that are similarly "limit one per deck" style, but the card is included in triplicate in the pack. It may well be that we only get two copies of five pods per Force Pack after all…  

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#14 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 821 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:57 AM

spalanzani said:

Other LCGs do sometimes include cards in their expansion packs that are similarly "limit one per deck" style, but the card is included in triplicate in the pack. It may well be that we only get two copies of five pods per Force Pack after all…  

Yeah, this could go either way. Even Lord of the Rings LCG is infrequent with this. There was just recently a 'only 1 per deck' card for LotR but they included 3 copies of it in the adventure pack. And yet the Hero cards are also only 1 per deck but we only ever get 1 of each of those.

Never made sense to me.

They probably did it incase you wanted to run Path of Need in multiple decks, but what are the odds of wanting/needing to do that? Probably about the same odds as me wanting to run the same hero in multiple decks. Or any other card x3 in multiple decks.

#15 Keggy

Keggy

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:54 AM

Lotr heroes aren't one per deck, they're one per game.  The other unique cards come in triplicate so you can get to them faster in your deck, but heroes start in play, so you dont need ti fish for them.  Plus it gives them an extra two cards for the encounter set.  My money is on them doing 2 copies each of all pods, even if they are limited, because it means there's less pods to design and balance.

#16 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 821 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:54 AM

Keggy said:

Lotr heroes aren't one per deck, they're one per game. 

But that's my point. Normal cards are 3x per deck and thus 3x per game for ME. Of course, if I like having multiple decks together at the same time with the same cards or if I want Path of Need in MY deck and also in my friend's deck, that's my prerogative. But these optional choices shouldn't be FFG's concern. FFG should supply a person with the max number of each card for one deck and use the extra space for whatever else, something cool. Giving me 3x Path of Need or 2x of a Star Wars pod that are one per deck doesn't help me any more than giving me 3x of a hero. It wastes space for something else worthwhile/cool.

#17 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 821 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:55 AM

Keggy said:

The other unique cards come in triplicate so you can get to them faster in your deck, but heroes start in play, so you dont need ti fish for them.

Oh and I'm not talking about 3x of a unique card, obviously those are useful to have 3x of. I'm talking about 'limit one per deck' cards, like Path of Need.

#18 alpha5099

alpha5099

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:00 PM

I don't know about in LotR, but I've never minded having multiples of Limit One Per Deck cards in AGOT. All of them (I believe) are very, very useful locations I include at least a couple of in every deck I build. If anything, I wouldn't mind having more of them, as I generally maintain several decks at once and I'm always looking for a Street of Steel or Shadowblack Lane to swap out when it's time to play another deck.

What I'm curious is to know is if there're will be neutral pods. There may be a complete and utter divide between the Dark Side and Light Side cards, like the Corp and Runner cards in Netrunner. Do the DS and LS cards have different backs in this game? If not, then One Per Objective Deck pods might be a good place for neutral pods, as we might conceivably want to be running those pods in both our decks.

#19 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 821 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:48 PM

alpha5099 said:

What I'm curious is to know is if there're will be neutral pods. There may be a complete and utter divide between the Dark Side and Light Side cards, like the Corp and Runner cards in Netrunner. Do the DS and LS cards have different backs in this game? If not, then One Per Objective Deck pods might be a good place for neutral pods, as we might conceivably want to be running those pods in both our decks.

I can't say for certain, as no one has seen the actual card backs (I think someone who looked at the Gencon demo said they were just Game of Thrones cards with printouts in front) but I'm guessing that there are different card backs and separate neutral cards/pods for each side. Mainly because R2-D2 and C-3P0 were in neutral pods, which would make little thematic sense to see them ever helping the Dark Side.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS