Total Noob Here

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Torax Outlaw

Torax Outlaw

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:31 PM

I'm a total noob to the whole pencil and paper RPG series. I own the Deathwatch Core Rulebook and I'm so confused by it all.

#2 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 870 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:48 PM

Was there a question here, or are you just saying 'hi'?

#3 AlphariusOmegon7

AlphariusOmegon7

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:19 AM

Read the intro to RPs thing at the start.  It helps.  

Think of the stats as like stats in a computer RPG - they determine how good you are at certain things.  Skills are then modifiers of that - being good at specific bits rather than a general aptitude.  Talents are one off abilities - like perks in Skyrim.  

#4 Torax Outlaw

Torax Outlaw

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:11 AM

I understand some of it. Its just the whole movements things confuses the feth outta me. Like whats the feth does AB mean?

#5 KommissarK

KommissarK

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:56 AM

Agility Bonus.

There should be a section that describes "Characteristic Bonuses."

Basically, a characteristic is a value, 1-99. This is the exact target number for tests that you roll.

However, to simplify this in certain areas, the "characteristic bonus" is used (things like movement, damage resistance due to toughness, etc.).

The bonus is simply the 10s digit of the characteristic. So a marine with an agility score of 42 would have an Agility Bonus (AB), of 4.

Strength - SB

Toughness - TB

Agility - AB

Perception - PB ? (tend not to see this one used much)

Intelligence - IB

Willpower - WB

Fellowship - FB

Ballistic Skill and Weapon Skill do not have a "bonus" in Deathwatch (although they do in Black Crusade/Only War).

Note for movement, because of a marine's size in power armour, they count as having 1 higher for the movement table. So a marine with AB 4 is effectively AB 5, and thus moves at a rate of 5/10/15/30

Movement is simple enough as its basically 1x half, 2x full, 3x charge, 6x run.

#6 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 870 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:18 AM

Torax Outlaw said:

I understand some of it. Its just the whole movements things confuses the feth outta me. Like whats the feth does AB mean?

KommissarK said:

Note for movement, because of a marine's size in power armour, they count as having 1 higher for the movement table. So a marine with AB 4 is effectively AB 5, and thus moves at a rate of 5/10/15/30

Movement is simple enough as its basically 1x half, 2x full, 3x charge, 6x run.

KommisarK is correct, you'll find the rule concerning size and movement rate on page 134 of Deathwatch (Core).

When running enemies with unnatural characteristics I'll mention unnatural agility does not affect movement as stated under "Unnatural Characteristics" on page 136. This just means a Lictor from Mark of Xenos with unnatural agility 40 (AB of 8) and size:enormous doesn't move 10/20/30/60, but rather only 6/12/18/36.

#7 Torax Outlaw

Torax Outlaw

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:12 PM

So how on earth does movement actually work in game?

#8 Charmander

Charmander

• Members
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:35 PM

Torax Outlaw said:

So how on earth does movement actually work in game?

Friendly tip; be more specific in your questions.  Include examples if you can- otherwise we'll be left shooting in the dark when we try to answer.

You move the number of meters specified by your movement rate per turn.  So if I'm a Space Marine in standard PA with an Agility of 45, my base move is 4, + 1 for PA, for 5.  That's what I can do as a half action.  So on my turn, I can move 5m then make a standard attack with my gun and fire off one shot at the bad guys (or I can toss a grenade, or I can hide behind cover, spot, search, anything that is a half action or less and is not a 'reaction').  If the enemy is 100m away when the combat encounter starts and I walk towards them at this rate, it will take me 20 combat rounds to get to them and be in hand to hand range.

#9 Torax Outlaw

Torax Outlaw

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:14 PM

I've been reading back on the comments and some of the stuff you've said, has gone straight over my head. i'm gonna re-read it to try and get it as i suffer with a learning disability. i really want to get to grips with the game and enjoy it properly. i'm sat here making notes. So far i've got written down that a space marine in power armour with AB of 5. can only move 5 meters per combat turn then make an aggressive sort of action or hide or search for things. Unnatural agility just doubles the AB. So how do half move, full move, charge, run and actions work?

Oh I forgot mention that i wrote down all the info on charactiristic bonuses. (^_^)

#10 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 870 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:57 AM

Torax Outlaw said:

So far i've got written down that a space marine in power armour with AB of 5.

A space marine in power armour is actually size: Hulking. A creature that is size: Hulking adds +1 to his Agility Bonus, but ONLY to determine movement. Therefore a space marine with agility of 5 actually has a "movement only" AB of 6.

Torax Outlaw said:

can only move 5 meters per combat turn then make an aggressive sort of action or hide or search for things.

5m would be the distance a character with a movement AB of 5 could move as a Half-Move. A Half-Move costs a Half-Action in structured time (structured time is combat, or when you are using rounds). In structured time a character can perform two different types of Half-Actions (which allows a character to move and take another action, cannot make 2 of the same type, i.e. movement or attack, in a turn) or a single Full Action.

Torax Outlaw said:

So how do half move, full move, charge, run and actions work?

Going off the assumption a character has an AB of 5:

A Half Move Action would cover 5m (1 X AB)
    - Costs a Half Action to perform, allows another Half-Action to be used

A Full Move Action would cover 10m (2 X AB)
    -Costs a Full Action to perform, covers more ground but cannot do anything outside of special abilities

A Charge Action would cover 15m (3 X AB)
    -Costs a Full Action to perform, may ONLY be used when performing a Charge melee attack action, the last 4 meters of the charge must be in a straight line to the target.

A Run Action would cover 30m (6 X AB)
    -Costs a Full Action to perform, covers a lot more ground, harder to be hit by ranged attacks, easier to be hit by melee attacks, no other actions can be taken

These distances are usually written as follows: 5/10/15/30

#11 AlphariusOmegon7

AlphariusOmegon7

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:17 AM

Right.  Each round, you have One Action, One Reaction, and any number of free actions.  As things stand at the start of a DW game, a Half Move is a Half action.  So you have a movement rate of 5/10/15/30 - as a half action you can move up to 5 metres, leaving you with a half action free to do something else.  A full move is just what it sounds like - a full action of movement, sending you forward up to (in our example) 10 metres.  However, moving this far in one action prevents additional direct actions that round, as you just focused on moving forward.  

Now we get to the complex bits.  Charge is the third number - the last 4 metres of it MUST be in a straight line.  A charge is a melee attack where you can move up to (in our example) 15 metres forwards.  The melee attack is done at the end of the charge with a +10 bonus to hit, effectively increasing your chances of hitting by 10%.  Run is the fourth number.  When you run, you can cover distances very quickly.  People shooting at you get a -20 penalty to hit, but those who attack you in melee get a +20 bonus.  Both of these are full actions.  

This is the basic state of affairs with movement.  Some Talents can enhance this, or allow you to move at different times.  

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS