Photo

Anticipating substantial interest in your area?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:10 PM

Anyone anticipating a substantial interest in this game at your FLGS?  Regular tournaments and the like?

Around here, I'm not expecting too much after the initial release, but I can only hope I'm wrong.

Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook.com/groups/swgon/ Star Wars Gaming Ontario formerly known as Star Wars Miniatures Toronto

#2 bsmith13

bsmith13

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:35 PM

I can't speak to the gaming community at large, but my gaming group of 4-5 guys have all pre-ordered.

#3 Darthjawa103

Darthjawa103

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:05 PM

counting myself, I know at least 4 other people are waiting to get our hands on it. Its a Star Wars game, we must give in to the dark side and play it!

#4 Aahzmandius_Karrde

Aahzmandius_Karrde

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:36 PM

Unfortuneatly even between my 2 FLGS I expect I'm the only one that will be acquiring product.  Got a few people to play with, but they'll just sponge off my set.  Hence my substantial investment.

Welcome to the FFG Star Wars RPG Index 

#5 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:19 PM

My FLGS obtained a copy at GenCon and even had a demo night, but I was out of town -- GARRR! They said that when Starship Battles came out it was mayhem (in a good way) -- they were swarmed with players, and the enthusiasm was through the roof. One month later, not a one: the game was so shallow that people quickly abandoned it. This has left a sour taste in their mouths and they are predicting that the general gaming community in the area will feel the same way. They do not expect X-wing to be a wild success.

HOWEVER, they also said that it's got a broad enough appeal that there will likely be a small group of dedicated fans, and a larger group of people willing to check it out. I can only hope.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#6 El_Tonio

El_Tonio

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:24 PM

Hopefully FFG has a method to let stores know there is something going on in your area.  I found a great Star Wars minis group that way (though the WOTC organized play system where scheduled games were posted online).  We also have a modest gaming convention in Phoenix in February, and I'm going to do a demo there to see if I can recruit players.

As of now I have bought enough to play with my small gaming group -- 3 or 4 of us depending on the day (I bought two of everything except the dice pack since I'm getting two sets in the starters). If they like it (or if I REALLY like it) and it's fun to do big games, I'm sure we'll be buying more. 

REBEL: 5 X-Wing  •  3 Y-Wing  •  4 A-Wing  •  2 YT-1300  •  4 B-Wing  •  1 HWK-290  •  5 Z-95 Headhunter  •  2 E-Wing

IMPERIAL: 8 TIE Fighter  •  2 TIE Advanced X1  •  5 TIE Interceptor  • 3 Firespray 31  •  6 TIE Bomber  •  2 Lambda Class Shuttle  •  2 TIE Phantom  •  2 TIE Defender

#7 Jaster

Jaster

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:25 PM

I think we only have one FLGS in my area and I doubt they'll stock this game.

I might take a walk to the store and see if they will or even if they've heard of it.

#8 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:45 PM

Parakitor said:

My FLGS obtained a copy at GenCon and even had a demo night, but I was out of town -- GARRR! They said that when Starship Battles came out it was mayhem (in a good way) -- they were swarmed with players, and the enthusiasm was through the roof. One month later, not a one: the game was so shallow that people quickly abandoned it. This has left a sour taste in their mouths and they are predicting that the general gaming community in the area will feel the same way. They do not expect X-wing to be a wild success.

HOWEVER, they also said that it's got a broad enough appeal that there will likely be a small group of dedicated fans, and a larger group of people willing to check it out. I can only hope.

Yeah I remember that phenomenon in the area I was living at the time, too.  Hilarious that they have a copy of the game in store to demo, yet they have limited faith in it.

I'll probably run an event at a con in November, but I was looking forward to at least a monthly event for at least a few months.  We'll see if we can't get something to happen one way or another.

Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook.com/groups/swgon/ Star Wars Gaming Ontario formerly known as Star Wars Miniatures Toronto

#9 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:12 PM

El_Tonio said:

Hopefully FFG has a method to let stores know there is something going on in your area.  I found a great Star Wars minis group that way (though the WOTC organized play system where scheduled games were posted online).  We also have a modest gaming convention in Phoenix in February, and I'm going to do a demo there to see if I can recruit players.

As of now I have bought enough to play with my small gaming group -- 3 or 4 of us depending on the day (I bought two of everything except the dice pack since I'm getting two sets in the starters). If they like it (or if I REALLY like it) and it's fun to do big games, I'm sure we'll be buying more. 

Did you say Phoenix? I'm in Tucson! Maybe we'll cross paths some time.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#10 GunslingerSix

GunslingerSix

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:49 PM

I've played about 8-10 games at my FLGS and posting on our local FB gaming page.  Lots of pictures and letting guys know when we are playing.  Interest is definitely building.  I think it is going to be big in StL.

#11 RockSoldier

RockSoldier

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:35 PM

non of the 3 gaming stores by me said they would be carrying it but offered to order it for me.  I asked one of them if they were going to do a demo of it and they said they would try, so hopefully it happens and builds up some interest.

I am the Chapter Rep of the SE Michigan Star Wars FanForce, R2-Detroit.  I have really been pushing X-Wing to the group and I hope to get a few people playing it.  I have at least 1-2 very interested.

I was also going to try to talk with the guy who runs the MotorCity Comic Con about R2-Detroit doing something at the con, and possibly arranging with Fantasy Flight to do demos and have a few givaways.   But the con is in October and I just dont think there is time to arrange everything.  :(

#12 DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:35 PM

I'm the only one I know of in my area.  Anyone else in the Seattle/Puget Sound Area?

-DavicusPrime 

#13 Zoso

Zoso

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:38 PM

Parakitor said:

Good lord, that's apples to oranges if I ever saw it. That craptastic hackfest isn't even in the same ballpark as X-Wing as far as strategy or gameplay. Even the minis look like dog turds compared to this new game, and I always thought that was the one decent thing Starship Battles had going for it.

But I digress…..I will have a few friends playing it at our game nights, but no large local group. But, I live in a small town with no FLGS, so not many options there anyway.

#14 vadersson

vadersson

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:58 AM

I don't know of anyone else around Columbus and the FLGS is on the other side of town from me.  I plan to guilt at least one friend into playing, and maybe my 6 year old son.  I also have some guys at work I may be able to talk into some lunch time games.

Shoot me a message if you are around Columbus Ohio.

Thanks,

Duncan

Gold 109 (ret.)

Wesa need Gungans!

#15 Prathin

Prathin

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:17 AM

Shop owner said he tried it and said they will run a demo at the store, plus about 5 or 6 others have shown interest outside of the shop, so hopefully lots of people to play with here in sunny FL.

#16 DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:57 PM

So far the plan is to play with my Son and possibly my oldest daughter.  And anyone else I can talk into giving it a try.

I'm having my friend from Oak Harbor crashing with me the last weekend of Sept, so I intend on exposing him to it repeatedly, seeing as he'll be captive audience.

I live smack dab between Seattle and Tacoma so I pretty much have to drive 45min either way if I want to find a good non-GW shop to play non-GW games at.    The few shops close either don't really have a play area or only cater to MTG and Heroclix players.  But if I want to play Warhammer, I've got multiple options.  

-DavicusPrime

#17 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:09 PM

I expect huge interest at my local store.  Two of us went to Gencon, but every one wants to play

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#18 kaffis

kaffis

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:33 PM

It seems like FFG is trying to push its new releases hard at conventions, with tournaments and the like. I can only hope they have plans to support tournament play on the local scale, as well, as that's really what's driven M:tG's continued success.

Judging by the interest our games were drawing in the Board Gaming room at Dragon*Con (a vendor had a few copies they had picked up at Celebration, but apparently mine was the only one to get opened and played in public at the con…), the game has the capability to draw attention and attract interest. It needs to be both visible and something where gamers can count on having routine opponents to capitalize on that interest and attention, and that's where organized play can help out a *ton.* But shops have tons of products around, and limited dates to schedule organized play (and a clientele with limited resources and playtime), so it really takes that extra push from publisher support to put your game on the schedule.

#19 haslo

haslo

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:32 PM

I just asked in my FLGS yesterday whether there were any other preorders beside mine for X-Wing. The answer was "no" - so it seems I'll have to evangelize a bit for the game

Imperials: 13 TIE Fighter, 5 TIE Advanced, 15 TIE Interceptor, 4 Slave I, 6 TIE Bomber, 5 Lambda Shuttle, 3 TIE Defender, 4 TIE Phantom

Rebels: 1 Tantive IV, 1 Rebel Transport, 7 X-Wing, 5 Y-Wing, 4 YT-1300, 6 A-Wing, 5 B-Wing, 5 HWK-290, 6 Z-95, 3 E-Wing

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS