Model base question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 FarkonGnome

FarkonGnome

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:30 AM

Anyone that has the game in hand, can they take some pictures of the bottom of the bases and post them please? I was thinking of trying to attach magnets to the bottom of the bases so they can adhere to a metal playmat to keep accidental moving/play area bumping from moving them.

The reason for the picture request is that I can't seem to find any info on how the bottoms look, are they flush or are they hollow with only the edges jutting out to raise them off the playing surface, etc.

I'm curious as to what type of modification (if any) I'll have to make in order to make my idea work.

#2 SteveSpikes

SteveSpikes

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:18 AM

#3 SteveSpikes

SteveSpikes

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:22 AM

Base is up-side down.

Another idea I've heard is to put a piece of felt on the bottom here.  That should also decrease slippage.

#4 Aahzmandius_Karrde

Aahzmandius_Karrde

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:03 AM

I'm sure how well that picture shows it.

The bottom of the base is 40mm square, there is a inset to it that is about 2mm deep and 36-37mm square.  Little hard to measure being clear and all, very little contrast to the edges.  There's an additional donut shaped inset where the center post is on the top side.  The outer diameter is about 9mm and the inner is about 5mm.  The chevron that indicates the front is actually raised out of this inset as is the "© 2012 LFL" off to one side.  They are no more than a texture raise and shouldn't impact inserting/glueing anything into this inset.

Felt and or magnets seems like a good idea.  I'm also thinking I probably want to take some white enamel and "highlight" the forward chevron.  Also as a hint the pegs are keyed.  they have a flat side that always faces forward on the base and this locks the miniature into a forward facing position.  I think I might enamel the flat of the pegs as well.

Welcome to the FFG Star Wars RPG Index 

#5 FarkonGnome

FarkonGnome

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:33 AM

inserting a magnet into that recessed area is something I'm going to work on, that coupled with a metal playing surface will keep the miniatures from moving due to play area bumping…

Thanks guys!

#6 SteveSpikes

SteveSpikes

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

Glad I could help.  Good luck.

#7 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:25 AM

I dunno… I'd rather the miniature accidentally move than accidentally break from the force of a stray hand (how fragile are these things, anyway?). Please let us know how it goes! :)

#8 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

I. J. Thompson said:

I dunno… I'd rather the miniature accidentally move than accidentally break from the force of a stray hand (how fragile are these things, anyway?). Please let us know how it goes! :)

They are not really that fragile.  I like them a lot.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#9 GunslingerSix

GunslingerSix

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:43 PM

I've played about 10-12 games so far.  We have played on everything from a bar table at GenCon, to a slick table cloth, to painted plywood, and a felt game mat.  We have had ZERO problems with the miniatures falling over or moving from play.  We had one game with 18-20 fighters on the board and had no problems.  I really don't think this is as big an issue as you may think.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS