A bit annoyed.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 SPQRappelt

SPQRappelt

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:20 PM

As the title says, I'm a bit annoyed by this latest move.  For one, I was led by a fantasy flight employee at GenCon to believe that this cardgame was going to be compatible with the LCG.  Although that was certainly no promise, I feel a bit let down.  I'm further disappointed by what a wasted opportunity this is to expand the player base for the LCG.  Instead of providing new players with a viable set of cards for the LCG, they'll find themselves in the unappealing position of having two decks of tournament illegal cards. For old players of the LCG who wanted a bit of HBO flair like me they'll find their hopes dashed and without any true incentive of buying another card game that is essentially a dumbed down version of the card game they already love.  All in all, this strikes me as a bit of a fumbling cash grab that's left a nice opportunity on the table.  

OK End Rant. 

#2 Ferozstein

Ferozstein

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:11 PM

My thoughts exactly. Seems like a pretty dumb move, since a lot of new players who'll buy this box due to the graphics from the series won't progress to LCG now and buy chapter packs, resulting in ultimately less revenue for FFG and smaller playerbase for us.

#3 jasonpanella

jasonpanella

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:17 AM

I hope I'm not being too cynical, but considering that this might be available in some big-box stores, I doubt the target audience will care about the LCG one way or the other. 

#4 Atraangelis

Atraangelis

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:40 AM

I agree with Jason that this is not intended to appeal to the LCG group.

As with many other game companies and titles, there are mass market version and versions dedicated to the hard core.

This title is for the occasional player to get a chance to explore the GOT via a card game and perhaps in doing so will draw them to the more "ADVANCED" card game that is the LCG.

I actually applaud the move with FFG trying to reach out to a broader audience. It is savy business like it or not…

#5 The Broasted

The Broasted

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:28 AM

Well, the HBO show is a dumbed-down version of the books, so having the card game based on the show be a dumbed-down version of the LCG seems appropriate.

But, the one knock I'll giving in FFG's favor is that "non-gamers" may be drawn to this product much more than the other AGoT products. I have a non-gamer friend who got the board game thinking it would be at a Milton Bradly level of complexity and he felt overwhelmed when he unboxed it. So, I can definitely see a market for the "non-gamer" game in this line. But, I do disagree with making it a deckbuilding game. "Non-gamers" historically are much more apt to go after boardgames than deckbuilding card games.

• Sacrilege83 likes this

#6 jjcole

jjcole

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:03 AM

The Broasted said:

Well, the HBO show is a dumbed-down version of the books, so having the card game based on the show be a dumbed-down version of the LCG seems appropriate.

But, the one knock I'll giving in FFG's favor is that "non-gamers" may be drawn to this product much more than the other AGoT products. I have a non-gamer friend who got the board game thinking it would be at a Milton Bradly level of complexity and he felt overwhelmed when he unboxed it. So, I can definitely see a market for the "non-gamer" game in this line. But, I do disagree with making it a deckbuilding game. "Non-gamers" historically are much more apt to go after boardgames than deckbuilding card games.

It seems like the House decks will be fixed and only the plot cards will be changed. There could even be a suggested default set of plots for each House and then anyone can play without any deck building, but can later tweak their strategy slightly. I think it will work out nicely for "non-gamers" and otherwise for a quick game you can pick up and play with anyone without worrying about the deck building.

#7 Firgus

Firgus

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:35 AM

This is the Portal of the agot lcg. Non-tournament legal cards that are simplified for new players. Portal was hated by MTG players for years, too.

#8 SPQRappelt

SPQRappelt

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:06 PM

Firgus said:

This is the Portal of the agot lcg. Non-tournament legal cards that are simplified for new players. Portal was hated by MTG players for years, too.

Hmm, just off hand, any idea how successful Portal was?

…and oi! How long till they make the aGoT version of Unhinged?

#9 monk

monk

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:25 PM

Will there be expansions? If so, the problem here will be that they can now include Baratheon as the 2nd TV season has finished but it's going to be difficult to add other houses etc. until that particular TV season has started (or at least filming). I can see the game being quite dry and may lack a high replay value…

#10 jjcole

jjcole

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:03 AM

monk said:

Will there be expansions? If so, the problem here will be that they can now include Baratheon as the 2nd TV season has finished but it's going to be difficult to add other houses etc. until that particular TV season has started (or at least filming). I can see the game being quite dry and may lack a high replay value…

They could easily add Lannister and Greyjoy already. Targaryen and Martell may have to wait a while. As others have said though, the game clearly isn't targeting the kind of players who want to buy a ton of new expansions all the time. It can still be a fairly replayable game without many or any expansions. While we're used to FFG's and other similarly complex games, there are still people who play Uno and Scrabble and Monopoly and plenty of other games that don't have expansions and don't complain that they need new Uno cards, letter tiles or Chance cards.

#11 The Old Man

The Old Man

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:22 AM

I think it's a great idea.  As I said on BGG, some people want a night of entertainment with friends, not a way of life.  However I think they made a big mistake not making it playable with four people.  Unless it has a couples style of play it will miss a target market for this game.

#12 SPQRappelt

SPQRappelt

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:16 PM

The Old Man said:

I think it's a great idea.  As I said on BGG, some people want a night of entertainment with friends, not a way of life.  However I think they made a big mistake not making it playable with four people.  Unless it has a couples style of play it will miss a target market for this game.

I don't think it wouldn't have been too much of a stretch to design a set of aGoT that worked as a casual standalone and as an expansion to the LCG.  

#13 The Old Man

The Old Man

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:29 PM

SPQRappelt said:

The Old Man said:

I don't think it wouldn't have been too much of a stretch to design a set of aGoT that worked as a casual standalone and as an expansion to the LCG.  

I disagree, I'm not sure how that would work at all.

#14 SPQRappelt

SPQRappelt

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:50 AM

Easy, it could simply be the new revised core set. 

#15 The Old Man

The Old Man

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:42 AM

SPQRappelt said:

Yeah, that would be simple.

#16 alecoi01

alecoi01

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:46 AM

I completely agree with the Old Man. Though I love deckbuilding with LotR, the GoT LCg has just expanded too much for me to invest (it would have been different, of course, if I had started collecting the cards when the core set was released).

So the "simple streamlined" version of it will be enough for me, and I will easily make other people play (no DB, no prep time, and less exceptions and complexity than with expansion sets).

This game would be a great way to play quickly in the world of Westeros, the only pity being that it's only 2 players and no more, but hey, it's not the first game that is so. Battles of Westeros is a wonderful 2P game, for instance.

Right now, only the bad-looking cards (the colors are too flashy for me, but maybe it's not the final version) make me cautious.

#17 Zordren

Zordren

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:38 AM

The Old Man said:

SPQRappelt said:

Yeah, that would be simple.

+ 1

-------------------------------------------------

As far as the stand-alone game itself goes, I am an avid Thrones LCG player and I welcome this "Lite" version.  I will be buying it just for curiousity's sake, as well as for a collector's sake.  I may very well end up using this as the "intro" to the game vice the Core Set if it proves a good fit.  Heck, I may even get my wife to play this version with me!  :)

I would welcome some simple expansions (like additional Houses) and a multiplayer option, too.  IF FFG were ever to take this version of the game and start doing a bunch of expansions, chapter packs, etc, then I could see it as being a problem (taking away from design resources from the LCG, splitting the market, etc), but I can't imagine FFG would go this way with this version.

#18 chou4555

chou4555

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:23 AM

I have the GoT LCG, and it just got too much for me and for my friends. We liked the LCG game out of the box, but then, like LOTR, MtG and even Call of Cthulhu, there were just too many cards to choose from, too many unused and never will be used cards. Unless you have oodles of time to keep fashioning decks, I prefer to spend my time playing.

Ergo, I've ordered this game, and will probably play it a lot more than Game of Thrones LCG. However, that doesn't stop me wishing that they may bring out some expansions,  Perhaps stand-alone factions like they brought out for the excellent Blue Moon card game. I don't want to mix and match and deckbuild, but i would like some expansions… am I hoping for yoo much? Winter is coming, as is Christmas… and when my son comes over, it'll be Game of Thrones Card Game, Sparatacus Board Game (with his brother) and then the standards- Puerto Rico and Race for the Galaxy. Woo Hoo! 

#19 SeerMagic

SeerMagic

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:52 PM

If it does well (and it seems to be doing so) I think we'll see stand alone expansions.

#20 Ryan Buss

Ryan Buss

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

I think the LCG is a bit overwhelming and I much prefer this simplified version. I would love to see some expansions that merely add new houses or perhaps other fixed decks. I don't particularly enjoy deck building so having a fixed deck that I can open and play on a whim.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS