Which Mech's Next?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 frogimus

frogimus

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:40 PM

I have both the Core Set and Revised Core Set, plus the Command Squads and Spec Ops (Observers + Snipers) for both Allied and Axis.  I'm thinking about getting the Light Walker for each faction and 2 more of the Mediums since the OCS walkers do not have all weapon configurations available. 

The question is: do I need heavy walkers soon, or can they wait until I get these and the rest of the foot troops?  Can/should I sacrifice a medium (for each faction) to get the heavy sooner?

My local meta?  I'm it.  2 stores within 45 minutes that sell DT, but no one plays it.  Trying to get my friends into the game and want a well-rounded start for both DT and DW.  So I really need 2 armies that look and play well.

#2 Loophole Master

Loophole Master

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:47 PM

In my opinion the heavies can wait. I'd put the heavies at the very end of anybody's army list. They're cool and all, but their cost/benefit is pretty doubtful, and there can only be fielded properly in a small selection of missions.

#3 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:11 PM

I agree with Loophole as far as DT is concerned, but for Dust Warfare, Heavy Walkers are almost always a good choice in your army.  So if you're really itching to get them, go for it.

For the medium walkers, don't forget the new medium walker sets, the Wotan/Flam-Luther and the Cobra/Rattler.  I say if you're going to get 2 medium walkers per side, get one of the older kinds, and one of the newer ones, for each faction.

#4 ??!

??!

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:43 PM

I am in a situation comparable to yours, frogimus, and I decided to invest in squads rather than in the heavy walkers to have more options while building armies. The heavys are rather expensive and consume a lot of points in your army as well, thus limiting your other options.

#5 frogimus

frogimus

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:19 AM

Thanks for the advice, folks.  As cool as the heavies look, I wasn't sure they'd be an immediate impact - especially since I and my friends will be learning the game.

Well, that leaves 5 troop packs for each of the original 2 factions and Op Seelowe to get the final 2 heroes Forgot to mention that I have Cerberus and Cyclone).  I think I will finish out the foot troops before any mech purchases.

55 painted, 25 on paint table, and 34 more to get.  Awesome!

#6 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:43 AM

I think you've made a good choice.  In Dust Warfare, you're limited in how many walkers you can put on the table, so investing in more squads will definitely give you more options.

#7 Grand Inquisitor Fulminarex

Grand Inquisitor Fulminarex

• Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:56 PM

A SturmKonig is an awesome asset for an Axis Army. It can kill well in all three categories. Sure it is expensive, but it really pays off.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS