The Death Star Dial: More thematic than you can possibly imagine

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:47 AM

Okay, a bit of an exaggeration, but the new description page really opened my eyes to just how thematic this dial was with a simple phrase: "just like in the movies." I hadn't really thought about the Rebels racing against the clock until I read that part of the description. Let's look at some examples of the Rebels racing against time in the movies.

A New Hope:
Rescue the princess before she's executed.
Destroy the death star before it clears the planet.

The Empire Strikes Back:
Evacuate Echo Base before the Imperials overrun it.
Get the hyperdrive fixed before getting captured.
Rescue Han from the Bounty Hunter before he gets away.

Return of the Jedi:
Destroy the death star before it's operational.
Destroy the shield generator before the fleet arrives.

That's not really as extensive of a list as I was expecting, but the point is that they made it sound much more thematic than I ever gave it credit for, and I think it could really work if I just gave it a chance . . . if.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#2 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:03 AM

Don't be too proud of this technological terror FFG have constructed…

But seriously, I don't mind it at all, I just had to get the joke in

#3 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:26 AM

I agree. While I initially felt that the dial mechanic was a bit tacked-on (I still do somewhat), the concept of the light side racing against time fits perfectly with the theme. With this aspect of the game, at least, I have no complaints.

"To play a wrong note is insignificant. To play without passion is inexcusable."
– Beethoven

#4 Bolfa Fluffbelly

Bolfa Fluffbelly

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:28 AM

But the DS dial could've easily been "just another" objective(card).

It's not a make or break thing for me but i'm still in the less-dials-more-cards/objectives-corner.

#5 oDESGOSTO

oDESGOSTO

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:08 AM

It's just an excuse for FFG put another dial in their games….

#6 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:12 AM

I'm not usually a fan of the purposeful misquote, but this thread has quite possibly just made my day 

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#7 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:48 AM

Cool, there's a theme for Rebels vs. Imperials… but what about Jedi vs Sith?  Or Smugglers and Spies vs Scum and Villany?  Or anything prequel era?  Or anything New Republic era?  It's a cool theme, but the theme is too narrow for the scope of the card game.

(Note: my main worry about the dial is the difficulty keeping the sides balanced, not the theme… but the theme isn't great.  In general, the strength of the game seems to be in game play more than Star Wars feel)

#8 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 818 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:04 AM

dbmeboy said:

Cool, there's a theme for Rebels vs. Imperials… but what about Jedi vs Sith?  Or Smugglers and Spies vs Scum and Villany?  Or anything prequel era?  Or anything New Republic era?  It's a cool theme, but the theme is too narrow for the scope of the card game.

It's not actually representing a Death Star being built though. It just happens to be Death Star shaped. It more represents the Dark Side gathering enough strength to crush the galaxy, or the Rebellion, or to pull off something so horrible like a planet blowing up that the Light Side takes a morale loss. I think that general theme can be equated to the other eras or factions easily enough.

Speaking of which, I really hope we do see deluxe big box expansions down the road with New Republic and Prequel era factions. I don't see why they wouldn't. That'd be so freaking cool to see General Grievous, Maul, Dooku, Mace Windu, Jacen and Jaina, etc, etc done up with this fantastic art. The mixing of eras would maybe be a bit off thematically but who cares, I say. It'd be awesome and fun, and if a Rancor can destroy a capital starship in this game then who cares if the eras get a little wacky. Bring on GRIEVOUS!

#9 Bolfa Fluffbelly

Bolfa Fluffbelly

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:21 AM

I vote for no prequel material.

#10 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 818 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:31 AM

Bolfa Fluffbelly said:

*waves hand*

"You want to go home and rethink your life."

#11 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:35 AM

dbmeboy said:

(Note: my main worry about the dial is the difficulty keeping the sides balanced, not the theme… but the theme isn't great.  In general, the strength of the game seems to be in game play more than Star Wars feel)

While it's true that the death star being constructed is completely superfluous to many factions, the fact that the light side is racing against the clock seems to be pretty consistent across factions to me.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#12 Bolfa Fluffbelly

Bolfa Fluffbelly

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:48 AM

Mattr0polis said:

Bolfa Fluffbelly said:

*waves hand*

"You want to go home and rethink your life."

Nah man, i like Star Wars not **** Wars.

And Jedi mind tricks only work on the weak minded. 

#13 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:27 AM

Bolfa Fluffbelly said:

Why?  Just because the movies didn't stand up to the originals doesn't mean the story and the characters aren't worth using.

EU characters are one of the main reasons I'm excited that FFG went with original art.

#14 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 818 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:44 AM

ScottieATF said:

Why?  Just because the movies didn't stand up to the originals doesn't mean the story and the characters aren't worth using.

EU characters are one of the main reasons I'm excited that FFG went with original art.

This. I'm imagining all kinds of awesome pods, like a 'Wipe Them Out, All Of Them' objective with Maul, his double-bladed lightsaber, his Sith speeder, a dueling event, etc. Or Grievous and his Droid Army, or same kind of themey things with Jaina, or Corran Horn, or Grand Admiral Thrawn with his ysalamiri, etc. etc.

Including the prequels and EU opens up unlimited cool possibilities for diehard Star Wars fans.

#15 Bolfa Fluffbelly

Bolfa Fluffbelly

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:47 AM

ScottieATF said:

Bolfa Fluffbelly said:

I didn't say no EU (there's plenty of EU in the core by the look of some of the art), i said no prequel ****.

EU-stuff that existed before, hmm let's say May 19th 1999' is okay in my book. Not saying all EU is great or even good, but i like Zahn's books and alot of the old Star Wars videogames eu (Dark Forces series, X-wing series etc). There is really no need to go prequel for a loooong long time either.

But hey, my wishes rarely materialize. Maybe you'll get lucky and get Jar-jar in the first expansion.

#16 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:55 AM

Bolfa Fluffbelly said:

ScottieATF said:

Bolfa Fluffbelly said:

I didn't say no EU (there's plenty of EU in the core by the look of some of the art), i said no prequel ****.

EU-stuff that existed before, hmm let's say May 19th 1999' is okay in my book. Not saying all EU is great or even good, but i like Zahn's books and alot of the old Star Wars videogames eu (Dark Forces series, X-wing series etc). There is really no need to go prequel for a loooong long time either.

But hey, my wishes rarely materialize. Maybe you'll get lucky and get Jar-jar in the first expansion.

No one has said anything about Jar-Jar, but my not even going near the Prequels you are cutting out a lot of good characters.  But we get it,  you're "Old School".

#17 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:32 AM

The idea of this game growing to encompass the prequels and more is something I've been chewing over, both silently and on these here forums, since the game was announced back in August last year. The fact that it calls itself "Star Wars: The Card Game" strongly suggests, to me, that we will see pretty much everything that has been sold under the Star Wars brand represented, should the game grow legs enough to support it. Which I hope it does. But the particular style of marketing FFG is going with does strongly contradict this, by having images from the classic-trilogy only on the core box. 

I've been thinking of this game in terms of the WotC miniatures game for a while now, mainly because that was the one game I got heavily into as an adult SW fan. So I've been kinda expecting this factions thing for a long time. But selling the game in this way just makes it so much easier to add in stuff from multiple eras at later stages by just slipping in another faction - and FFG are no strangers to this, looking at the way Cthulhu was sold as the strongest point of reference, having seven factions right out of the box and an eighth join them almost halfway through the game's development. While currently all the evidence points to the SW LCG following the release pattern of Warhammer, with four factions right out of the box and two more coming in a subsequent deluxe box, I suppose it wouldn't really be outside of the realms of possibility for them to say, maybe a year or so down the line, that they'll be adding two more - Republic and Separatists, most likely. As the WotC miniatures game showed, "Sith" as a faction can be used to stable folks from multiple eras without any major problems arising. 

So, feasably, we could get an expansion into TOR territory, through the already-established Jedi and Sith factions, and why not use the Smugglers and the Scum factions for the extra bits. We can get Dooku and Sidious through the Sith faction too, and Mace and all the other folks through the Jedi faction. Swap out Rebels and Imperials for Republic and Separatists, as mentioned, and we have a prequel-era game. Maybe the New Republic will develop as a faction subtheme within the Rebels, much like the lesser Houses and Bannermen are seen in A Game of Thrones - the Empire that the NR fights for most of its history can remain within the Imperial Navy, with maybe appearances by Joruus C'baoth and Kueller, maybe even the ghost of Exar Kun, in the Sith faction. 

The all-encompassing title of the game suggests it will include everything, and as a LCG I suppose it could almost be said that the model is designed for that. But I just feel somewhere that they are only intending to cover the period of the classic trilogy with this game. While there is a wealth of material out there that can be converted into this game, thanks to folks from West End Games and Bantam, largely it seems to be unnaturally stunting to limit what is supposed to be a living card game to just four and a half years of in-universe history (at the very shortest guess). 

I seem to have completely derailed this thread here. Sorry about that…

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#18 Bolfa Fluffbelly

Bolfa Fluffbelly

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:45 AM

Yikes, this place is crawling with prequel-fans… I have a bad feeling about this.

#19 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:10 AM

If they had prequel stuff from the beginning, I could take it. I accept it all as Star Wars. However, they have explicitly stated that this game is based on the original trilogy. I can't imagine they would say that if they had plans to expand in the future. I'm confident we'll get much more than one year of OT before the prequels get introduced.

As a counter point, however, LotR was supposed to take place between The Hobbit and The Fellowship of the Ring, and then they released a Hobbit expansion that reimagines the events from the book. So they could decide to throw in prequel stuff. I just really think it's gonna be a while before it happens. I hope it takes a while.

--Count Dooku

#20 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 818 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:29 PM

Budgernaut said:

However, they have explicitly stated that this game is based on the original trilogy.

Have they said this since the re-development though? I don't think I've heard this since then.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS