• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 FFG_Sam Stewart

FFG_Sam Stewart

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:31 AM

Hello Testers,

We've just posted our first round of updates and erratas to the Edge of the Empire Beta. If you have any feedback on these updates, please post it on this thread. Thanks, everyone!

#2 Inksplat

Inksplat

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:45 AM

My big question is the new Human ability. Does that means 2 Skills at Rank 2, and not 2 Ranks split between Skills?

It says 2 Ranks in 2 Different Skills.. which sounds like the first option, but I just wanted to make sure.

Also, thanks for the update!

#3 mindshadow2k

mindshadow2k

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:03 AM

Looks like there may be a typo for the Twi'leks update it says the following:

Twi’leks, Species Abilities (page 38):Add the following:
“Special Ability: When making skill checks, Twi’leks may re-move ∫ imposed due to arid or hot environmental conditions.”

Not really sure what this symbol means  ∫.

#4 Venthrac

Venthrac

• Members
  • 902 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

The new Twi'lek special ability seems to have a typo in it. It says the character can remove "S", or a symbol that appears to be an S.

(This is in the high-res PDF)

I also recommend changing the text that states that starting characters begin the game with no gear save what they purchased in character creation. Instead, I would suggest stating that all characters have nothing more than the clothes on their back. While that might seem obvious, keep in mind that "heavy clothing" is a purchasable item with a soak value. In the interests of idiot-proofing the game, it probably would not hurt to make this point clear and distinct.

#5 FFG_Sam Stewart

FFG_Sam Stewart

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:24 AM

Hi everyone,

The odd symbol seems to be a font artifact, and should be a Setback die. We'll see what we can do with fixing that.

Also, the human should be one rank in each of two different non-Career skills. Sorry about that, and we'll clarify it.  

#6 Venthrac

Venthrac

• Members
  • 902 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:32 AM

Thank you Sam! Very pleased to see all the stuff covered by this update. Keep up the good work!

#7 Inksplat

Inksplat

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:33 AM

Excellent. I thought that would be a little too good, which is why I felt it necessary to ask.

#8 Wulfherr

Wulfherr

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:41 AM

Thanks for the update! Weekly Tuesday updates is awesome news :)

Interesting clarification for the Criticals. The update seems to suggest that somebody with high enough soak will be very resistant to critical hits from lower-powered weapons. If so, I think I like it.

Already awaiting next Tuesday and hoping for Force update! 

#9 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:33 PM

Damn that was fast, Sam - already fixed the errata!

~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.

#10 Dulahan

Dulahan

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:56 PM

I actually really like the change to Humans.  The specialization for free thing was awkward, and in some ways almost limiting.  So the two skill ranks?  NICE solution.

EDIT: Though I don't like the change to the costs of specializations.  Let's just make being a Force User HARDER to be in a Star Wars game. 

#11 Inksplat

Inksplat

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:03 PM

Dulahan said:

I actually really like the change to Humans.  The specialization for free thing was awkward, and in some ways almost limiting.  So the two skill ranks?  NICE solution.

EDIT: Though I don't like the change to the costs of specializations.  Let's just make being a Force User HARDER to be in a Star Wars game. 

It won't be harder to be a force user once Force & Destiny comes out, and there are Jedi Careers. Do you really want them to not balance the REST of the game for the sake of ONE Spec? That'd be silly.

#12 Dulahan

Dulahan

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:07 PM

Inksplat said:

It won't be harder to be a force user once Force & Destiny comes out, and there are Jedi Careers. Do you really want them to not balance the REST of the game for the sake of ONE Spec? That'd be silly.

In 3 years…

And we don't need Jedi Careers to at least have the Force be a thing. 

#13 Inksplat

Inksplat

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:13 PM

Dulahan said:

Inksplat said:

In 3 years…

And we don't need Jedi Careers to at least have the Force be a thing. 

Are you honestly ignoring the fact that there are 18 other Specs that need to be balanced? You can still be a Force-Sensitive, they didn't take it away. 10XP over the course of a Campaign is nothing. 10 XP over the course of Character Creation can be quite a bit more, and effects the entire game, not just the one Spec in the back of the book.

As it was, you could take a Spec just to buy skills for cheaper during Character Creation and then drop it, and end up having saved XP. This addresses that.

Edit: Or Permanent Talents, for that matter.

#14 Cyril

Cyril

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:20 PM

I love the updates. Makes humans much more competitive, and the free talent ranks for some of the species opens up the door to differentiate some of the fan-created species that have been created.

#15 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:27 PM

Cyril said:

I love the updates. Makes humans much more competitive, and the free talent ranks for some of the species opens up the door to differentiate some of the fan-created species that have been created.

Aye, it allows for a lot more customisation for fan-created races now!

~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.

#16 Venthrac

Venthrac

• Members
  • 902 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:34 PM

Inksplat said:

10XP over the course of a Campaign is nothing. 10 XP over the course of Character Creation can be quite a bit more, and effects the entire game, not just the one Spec in the back of the book.

As it was, you could take a Spec just to buy skills for cheaper during Character Creation and then drop it, and end up having saved XP. This addresses that.

That's the crux of it, in my opinion. As such, I fully support the change in Spec. cost.

#17 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 4,222 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:40 PM

Grooving on most of the updates.

Kinda sad not to see anything about Force usage, but I figure that's still being worked on.

I hope this is a good sign of things to come in regards to things being updated as comments and observations are made by we beta testers.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#18 Inksplat

Inksplat

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:05 PM

Donovan Morningfire said:

Grooving on most of the updates.

Kinda sad not to see anything about Force usage, but I figure that's still being worked on.

I hope this is a good sign of things to come in regards to things being updated as comments and observations are made by we beta testers.

If you read the last bit of the actual News Post, they say that they really appreciate all our attention to possible defenses, and that they're working on it.

#19 Dulahan

Dulahan

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:19 PM

Yeah, I wasn't expecting a Force Defense thing to come up yet.  It's something that's going to need more than a week to come up with a decent idea for, let alone have it ready for the masses to test.  I'd be a little surprised if it even shows up next week.

#20 Cyril

Cyril

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:10 PM

Venthrac said:

Inksplat said:

10XP over the course of a Campaign is nothing. 10 XP over the course of Character Creation can be quite a bit more, and effects the entire game, not just the one Spec in the back of the book.

That's the crux of it, in my opinion. As such, I fully support the change in Spec. cost.

Exactly. I mean you get 10 XP just for making it to the end of the Crates of Krayts adventure at the back of the book.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS