Photo

Please change the deck building mechanic.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Beast Rabban

Beast Rabban

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:41 AM

I do not like the deck building mechanic at all. I like the complete creative freedom that comes from the ability to choose ALL the cards I want for a deck to focus how the deck plays. The idea of choosing some and then getting stuck with the rest is not my idea of a good way to build a deck. Calling it a challenge does not make it a good mechanic. I would prefer to have a mechanic like Net Runner where if say you were playing Jedi you could take X points of cards from the other two sub-factions and have complete creative freedom of how I make my 50 card deck and what objectives I use.

I'm not a fan of having starships and characters fighting against each other in the same battle either. The idea of my Vader or Obi Wan being killed by a X-Wing or Tie fighter in combat just doesn't sit well with me from a flavor perspective. I really, really want it to be a great game but I fear it is flawed through these mechanics.

I only have limited exposure to this game through the Demos at Gen Con so maybe I am completely wrong and I will be calling you brilliant after it releases but I think not.

#2 vandertramps

vandertramps

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:50 AM

do we really need another thread about this?

#3 Beast Rabban

Beast Rabban

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:43 PM

Yes. If you have had enough of this topic then feel free to ignore it.

I choose to express my opinion in a new thread post.

#4 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:52 PM

It's not gonna happen. The game already has been delayed enough. If the deck building bugs you then maybe it is not the game for you. I applaud FFG for trying out something different. 

#5 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:54 PM

Beast Rabban said:

I'm not a fan of having starships and characters fighting against each other in the same battle either. The idea of my Vader or Obi Wan being killed by a X-Wing or Tie fighter in combat just doesn't sit well with me from a flavor perspective. I really, really want it to be a great game but I fear it is flawed through these mechanics.

This is the only remaining deal-breaker for me. It may seem like a minor issue, but to me it's not. If you look strictly at card stats, if the Rancor wins its edge battle against the Coruscant Defense Fleet, he can cause significant damage to the latter. Now, these are probably both Dark Side cards, so it's a purely speculative situation, but the fact that we know of no rules preventing this sort of nonsense from occurring is keeping me from having any interest at this point. Should the rules be posted online, and reveal that the "Capital Ship" and/or "Fighter" keywords make units immune to Characters and Creatures, then I may have to reassess my opinion. 

And of course, there are always going to be exceptions; for instance, Starkiller single-handedly brings down a Star Destroyer, along with a good portion of its TIE arsenal. But this is a special case, and would therefore be the result of an ability printed on his card, not a built-in aspect of the rules.

"To play a wrong note is insignificant. To play without passion is inexcusable."
– Beethoven

#6 Beast Rabban

Beast Rabban

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:14 PM

Toqtamish said:

It's not gonna happen. The game already has been delayed enough. If the deck building bugs you then maybe it is not the game for you. I applaud FFG for trying out something different. 

I'm perfectly aware it is my choice and I'll make it when the time comes. I hope in vain they change it, but I know they wont.

Regardless I don't intend to play competitively so if i'm only playing with friends we can house rule the deck construction aspect if the method they are using truly does suck and limit creativity. I'll atleast give it a try at release before making my final decision. As stated at the beginning I have limited exposure to the game only by the demos at Gen Con.

The open combat is still an anoying point from the flavor perspective.

#7 Beast Rabban

Beast Rabban

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:15 PM

Deleted duplicate post

#8 Spike1382

Spike1382

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:46 PM

On the plus side, this is easily dropped if it sucks and can be left if it adds something. I am open to something different that avoids the usual deck packed with three copies of the same 20 cards. It might fail, but it isn't key to the mechanics anyway.

#9 Pvthudson01

Pvthudson01

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:01 PM

this game looked lame at GenCon sorry. no co op means no sale for me

#10 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:56 AM

Spike1382 said:

I am open to something different that avoids the usual deck packed with three copies of the same 20 cards. It might fail, but it isn't key to the mechanics anyway.

Yes! Dear god, as am I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#11 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:26 AM

Pvthudson01 said:

this game looked lame at GenCon sorry. no co op means no sale for me

We all understand you won't be buying the game now that it isn't co-op, you've made that clear.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS