The first preview is up!

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:22 AM

I am getting so excited now, it's a little bit wrong…

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3529

&

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=175&esem=1

Aw, yeah! 

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#2 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:35 AM

It's good, but nothing new, really. It's good to hear some of their rational for the deckbuilding. It mirrors the thoughts in the forum.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#3 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:41 AM

Budgernaut said:

It's good, but nothing new, really. It's good to hear some of their rational for the deckbuilding. It mirrors the thoughts in the forum.

I think the things that excited me most were seeing the (presumably) final versions of things like the now-taboo Death Star dial, and focus tokens 

Simple things…

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#4 Bolfa Fluffbelly

Bolfa Fluffbelly

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:50 AM

I guess this means the early demo from gencon was the final product and it got only positive feedback.

I'm psyched though, but it may be 'cause i just watched the GOUT version of the Empire strikes back. The cards still look great (the art yes, but mostly thinking about the design) and i like the focus tokens. The ffg-hype is strong in this one.

#5 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:08 AM

Don't worry everyone; I'm sure making more pleas to change the deck-building mechanics can totally swing the minds of the designers at this stage 

But seriously, it's nice that they tossed in some pics of cards that haven't already been circulating.  Leia looks pretty interesting with the capture mechanic, and you can see the entire "Hero's Journey" block.

Tarkin could be beastly, and like Leia, is very thematic.  Even that AT-ST packs a punch in combat.

#6 Gearjock

Gearjock

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:17 AM

I am so excited.  Can't wait to pre-order!

#7 Bolfa Fluffbelly

Bolfa Fluffbelly

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:19 AM

cleardave said:

Don't worry everyone; I'm sure making more pleas to change the deck-building mechanics can totally swing the minds of the designers at this stage 

Heh?

#8 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 818 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:35 AM

Wow, yeah very cool preview and I'm glad that it looks like this is moving forward quickly. I was worried it would take a while after GenCon again and that we'd be stuck for another 6 months or more before we could start playing this.

Very excited!

#9 X7XsnowmanX7X

X7XsnowmanX7X

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:54 AM

YEAH!  FINALLY!  A PREVIEW!  TWO YEARS LATER!  I"M SO EXCITED!

#10 zachbunn

zachbunn

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:19 PM

That art… is too good.

Do or do not, there is no try.

#11 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:59 PM

zachbunn said:

That art… is too good.

Indeed. I wish this were the artwork on the Princess Leia sleeves. Ah well.

"To play a wrong note is insignificant. To play without passion is inexcusable."
– Beethoven

#12 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 818 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:01 PM

And man, did you guys SEE the Death Star counter? That's possibly the absolute coolest game counter EVER.

#13 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:54 PM

I wonder how the capturing mechanics work.  It never came up in any games I played in at Gencon.  Perhaps it becomes a way to get Leia back (by destroying the objective where she's captured) or some such thing?

#14 PBrennan

PBrennan

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:14 PM

Exactly. It thematically works really well.

#15 Gearjock

Gearjock

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:11 PM

Capture came up in discussion during my demo at GENCON.  Didn't happen in the game but it was a mechanic he said you saw more with the Scum and Villainy deck (bounty hunters).  If you captured someone then you put them on one of your objectives.  I forget exactly but the next trigger is that if you destroy the objective they are on then you A) Get them back into play B) Get bonus point C) both?  There was so much new stuff and it was something only mentioned in passing :-/

#16 Roman_Sandal

Roman_Sandal

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:56 PM

Do you think that because both sides have different win conditions that a tournament would play out like netrunner (2 games = 1 match, players have a turn at each side)?

#17 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:51 PM

Roman_Sandal said:

Do you think that because both sides have different win conditions that a tournament would play out like netrunner (2 games = 1 match, players have a turn at each side)?

I would imagine so.  You had to bring a Light Side and a Dark Side deck to the tourney in the SWCCG days.  Otherwise, the pairings would be too unwieldy.

#18 Roman_Sandal

Roman_Sandal

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:49 PM

cleardave said:

Roman_Sandal said:

I would imagine so.  You had to bring a Light Side and a Dark Side deck to the tourney in the SWCCG days.  Otherwise, the pairings would be too unwieldy.

Yeah but I was impling that you would play the same person in 2 games (in a row) completing one match, whereas in SWCCG you may not play the same player twice and in SWCCG you both had the same win condition.

#19 aussiecossie

aussiecossie

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:45 AM

Sigh, all this highly positive (and very respectful I might add. I wonder if ffg realise how good they've got it on this forum?) discussion there seems to be absolutely zero changes to the original mechanics presented at the demo at gencon. A little disappointing for me but not all that unexpected. I'll save my final decision of whether or not to support this game until after I read the rulebook but at this stage I'm leaning more toward netrunner as the next card game I invest in. :(

#20 oDESGOSTO

oDESGOSTO

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:29 AM

aussiecossie said:

Sigh, all this highly positive (and very respectful I might add. I wonder if ffg realise how good they've got it on this forum?) discussion there seems to be absolutely zero changes to the original mechanics presented at the demo at gencon. A little disappointing for me but not all that unexpected. I'll save my final decision of whether or not to support this game until after I read the rulebook but at this stage I'm leaning more toward netrunner as the next card game I invest in. :(

This! +1

We didn't see the rulebook yet but there aren't any changes to what was shown at GenCon'12. I had faith that FFG would reconsider the winning conditions for this game but they simply want to put dials on every single game they produce.

At least Netrunner is solid although its artwork is horrible.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS